• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ Form Team of the Comp so far...

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I've seen a few articles, discussions, debates etc with people picking their form ABs side, so thought I'd do one....

My ABs side based purely on Super Rugby form:

1. Laulala - Was rock solid prior to injury. Could easily have picked a few others here though. No one's really stood out.
2. Coltman- Been an absolute workhorse.
3. Faumuiina - Been NZ's standout front rower imo. Very dynamic and has done all his core roles well.
4. Retallick - Probs been our best forward.
5. Whitelock - Has led the Crusaders from the front.
6. Kaino - Has been leading that Blues pack and is in great form of late.
7. Savea - Been a little inconsistent, but still better overall than the rest.
8. Whitelock - Awesome season so far...
9. TKB - Had and awesome start and has probs been the most consistent 9. Pulu, Perenara, Smith and Drummond have all been good too though, so hard to pick.
10. Barrett - Freak.
11. Lowe - Most underrated player in NZ.
12. Laumape - Been beasting it, hope he gets the call up.
13. Proctor - No one has stood out too much for me here, but Proctor has done everything right.
14. Duffy - Seems to be getting better week in week out... he's got a great all round game and has been performing to his potential. Ahead of Nanai who's also been getting better as the year has progressed and is now in great form.
15. McKenzie - Has been very good in every facet of his game this year... just put him ahead of Barrett who's also been highly impressive. Dagg looked great before injury too.

16. Riccitelli - Toss up between him, Taylor and Funnell, they've all been good.
17. Manu - Has been quite busy and solid all around the park.
18. Franks - Been in the thick of a dominant Saders pack.
19. Abbott- Has been super consistent and in the last couple games he was a standout.
20. Luatua - been coming into some great form. Douglas, Shields and Squire have been great too.
21. Pulu - Has had a big impact, have him just ahead of Perenara.
22. Cruden - He's been classy all year, just unlucky to have a freak ahead of him lol.
23. Barrett - Has definitely exceeded my expectations... looks right at home.

Thoughts???

In hindsight it looks a bit low on Crusaders and a bit heavy on Blues considering their respective records so far...
In saying that though, the Saders have had the easiest NZ draw and only just scraped past the Brumbies, Highlanders, Reds and Blues so haven't looked overly convincing... and the Blues have played some good rugby but for some dumb mistakes at the wrong times and a lack of continuity... I don't really see anywhere in that team where I'd add a Crusader or remove a Blue... maybe in the front row.

good list, agree for the most part.

squire has spent some time injured but for the most part looks in amazing form, loose forward stocks are overflowing. Messam & Seu are right up there as well.
Savea probably gets an automatic selection at 7 because Cane and Todd have had long layoffs, but they are all top shelf. All fit I my pecking order would be Cane, Todd, Savea... Rizla paper between them.
Pulu has been good but his decision making and kicking has been hit and miss, Perenara would get the bench.
Moala has been very good in a generally dysfunctional and unsettled blues backline. One can only imagine how good Moala would be in the chiefs or Hurricanes backline...
Agree on Matt Duffie, not only that but I look at him and think he would be well suited to test Rugby. At the start of this season i was a bit miffed about Duffie, his continued selection didn't seem to make sense. But he has absolutely come good.
Lowe - I think most people know he has been the best 11 in NZ for 4 years or so now, shame he didn't get to play for the AB's.
Another guy who looks good is George Bridge, definitely looks like a very good prospect. Bateman has looked great too...
jordie barrett has been fantastic, he just looks like an dead set All Black. His Height and goal kicking make him an even more attractive option. Probably the best "utility back" in NZ.
I'm a huge Ben Smith supporter. But this year McKenzie has been the form 15 in NZ without question. He's been simply remarkable, rounded out his game brilliantly.
Richard Buckman deserves mentioning. His return to the highlanders midfield singled the teams return to form, and its not coincidence that Fekitoa started to look much better when Buckman arrived. He's not a surprise package anymore, he is the real deal.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...acks-match-day-23-picked-on-current-form.html

^ Just came across this recently released article on Newshub and it gave me a bit of laugh... he seems to have nabbed my idea lol. He also seems to have been watching a different Super Rugby to the rest of us.... Savea (who's been very quiet) on the wing ahead of Lowe (who's been awesome), Duffy (also been awesome), Bridge and Li (both been very good) ..... Ioane (who has done stuff all since week 1) in the midfield ahead of Proctor, Moala, Fekitoa and ALB..... Smith (who hasn't featured much) deemed the form FB ahead of McKenzie (who's arguably been the form player of the whole comp) and Jordie (the best newcomer in the comp), who also both got no mention whatsoever?!?

And these guys get paid to know what they're talking about and write this stuff... *sigh*

Latest posts