• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ Squads So Far...

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
I've included all full time players from the 2012 season unless they have been delisted, have left, I have reason to believe they won't be returning, or are under an injury cloud and are not regular starters etc.

Blues

Prop (4)
- C Faumuina
- P Manu
- A Ta'avo
- O Tu'ungafasi

Hooker (2)
- K Mealamu
- T McCartney

Lock (4)
- A Williams
- A Boric
- L Moli
- F Paulo

Loose Forward (6)
- S Luatua
- L Braid
- B O'Connor
- K Barrett
- P Saili
- K Barrett

Halfback (2)
- P Weepu
- B Hall

First Five (2)
- C Noakes
- B Kerr

Centre (2)
- F Saili
- R Ranger

Outside Backs (5)
- M McKenzie
- D Raikuna
- G Moala
- W Naholo
- C Piutau

Other Possible Players
- M Muliaina
- M Nonu
- D Braid/S Polwart/D Pryor
- J Parsons
- J Mackintosh
- S Stowers

Possible 22:
1 Tu'ungafasi
2 Mealamu (c)
3 Faumuina
4 Boric
5 Williams
6 Luatua
7 Braid
8 O'Connor
9 Weepu
10 Noakes
11 Naholo
12 Saili
13 Ranger
14 Raikuna
15 Piutau
16 McCartney
17 Manu
18 Moli
19 Barrett
20 Hall
21 Kerr
22 McKenzie

Blues will benefit hugely from having either Nonu or Muliaina (or both!). They'll have quite a bit of disruption between this year and next, especially when you consider the new coaching staff. Their front row will be decent, their lineout will be great (with Mealamu, Williams, Boric and Luatua), and their backline will be dangerous if not a bit erratic. Muliaina would be a great calming influence.

Chiefs

Prop (3)
- B Afeaki
- T Smith
- B Tameifuna

Hooker (2)
- M Schwalger
- H Elliot

Lock (4)
- Clarke
- Retalick
- Fitzgerald
- Graham

Loose Forward (5)
- L Messam
- S Cane
- T Latimer
- F Lee
- N Crosswell

Halfback (3)
- T Kerr-Barlow
- B Leonard
- A Pulu

First Five (2)
- A Cruden
- G Anscombe

Centre (4)
- R Kahui
- B Aki
- A Horrell
- C Ngatai

Outside Backs
- R Robinson
- L Masaga
- T Nanai-Williams
- A Tikoirotuma

Other Possible Players
- M Muliaina
- Q MacDonald
- J Willison

Possible 22:
1 Smith
2 Schwalger
3 Afeaki
4 Clarke (c)
5 Retalick
6 Messam
7 Latimer
8 Lee
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Nanai-Williams
12 Horrell
13 Kahui
14 Masaga
15 Robinson
16 Elliot
17 Tameifuna
18 Fitzgerald
19 Cane
20 Leonard
21 Anscombe
22 Tikoirotuma

The Chiefs only major loss is SBW in the midfield. We still have three very able props and two great hookers (plus maybe one more), so Taumalolo isn't a major loss. The backup locks may not be secure in their positions just yet. I see Horrell as mainly a centre now, with Anscombe covering first five. Cane will probably continue to ride the pine this season as an impact sub.

Great work Invictus. I will do the same thing with the Highlanders (& maybe the Crusaders) squad this afternoon - unless you beat me to it!

A few thoughts on the squads listed thus far.

Blues
:

Not 100% convinced by the front-row - I think they will really miss Tony Woodcock. Tu'ungafasi looks a tremendous talent, but is completely untested at this level, so it is hard to know how he will go. I thought Ta'avao really struggled when he was given the chance with the Blues last season, but has impressed at times for Auckland during the ITM Cup - it is hard to know whether Ta'avao has made big improvements, or he is simply more suited to the lower level of opposition. One issue I have with the front row is that while Ta'avao, Tu'ungafasi, and Faumuina are all capable of playing on both sides, all play their best rugby on the TH side in my opinion - who they use at LH will be interesting. As you mention the locks are strong (especially if Boric is back). The big question in the loose-forwards is who will play at 8. I'm not sure about O'Connor at 8 - I haven't seen much of him recently, but from what I recall he was more of a 7 who could also cover 6. For me there are really two options at 8 - Luke Braid or Peter Saili. Saili has been given plenty of chances, but has never really lived up to his potential - the main advantage of playing him at 8 is Luke Braid could play in his favoured position. Braid played some very good rugby at 8 at the end of last season and I suspect he will be given the first shot at the 8 jersey again next year, with O'Connor/Pryor/Polwart/D Braid fighting out the 7 jersey.

As long as Weepu stays away from the KFC over the break the Blues will be well served at halfback, but I'm not convinced by their first-five options. Kerr has some talent but is completely unproven at this level, while Noakes is an ok player at Super Rugby level, but isn't the sort of player who will lead you into the playoffs (and his defense is a concern). The quality of the midfield depends on whether they are able to secure Nonu and/or Muliana - if they get either/both of them it will be strong. A Saili/Ranger midfield would be ok, but I'm still not convinced that Ranger is a centre. I'm sure the Blues will be looking at other midfield options available. Two from within the region are Carpenter and Fekitoa - I would seriously be looking at Fekitoa if I was a Blues selector, as he has impressed me for Auckland so far this season. Though a Saili/Fekitoa midfield would lack experience I think is would potentially be very dangerous. As always the Blues have an abundance of exciting options out wide - hopefully they decide to use them this year! I'm really looking forward to seeing Piutau get a full season at fullback. I wasn't sure about him at fullback initially (I thought he was better suited to the wing), but I'm more impressed with his fullback skills every time I see him.

Chiefs:

I feel Taumalolo will be missed for the Chiefs this season, as his ball running and try scoring was inspirational at times for the Chiefs last season. Toby Smith really needs to step up in his absence - I think he is a player with tremendous talent, he just hasn't pushed on as much as I would have expected he would in recent seasons. The starting locking combination is strong, but there are concerns about the depth at lock should Clarke or Retallick get injured. Fitzgerald hasn't really stepped up yet, while Graham (if he is still signed?) is a red card waiting to happen. What the Chiefs do with their loose-forwards this season will be interesting. Like last season I think they have two options - either get the best 3 loose-forwards on the park (Cane, Latimer, and Messam), or pick Messam in his best position of 6 and rotate the 7's (which they favoured last season, and I think they will continue). With Thomson gone and Bradley unlikely to be resigned the options at 8 are bit more limited this season. Lee was ignored last season (I was surprised he was re-signed) but is certainly an option if they want a strong ball carrying 8, but I actually get the feeling that Nick Crosswell may be what the Chiefs need at 8. In many ways he is a similar player to Kane Thomson who was effective for the Chiefs their last season - not the most dynamic player, but a hard working player who does the basics right.

The Chiefs are obviously well served at 9 and 10, but the midfield will certainly be a concern in the absence of SBW. When Kahui is fit they are sorted at centre, but who will play 12 is still open at this stage in my opinion. Horrell, Ngatai, and Aki are all good options, but it will depend on what the Chiefs want out of their 12. Horrell I think is the best player of the three (and is coming of a fantastic Super Rugby season), but the Chiefs would have to change there game plan somewhat as he isn't the hard running ball runner that SBW was. Aki and Ngatai are more direct runners, though neither are proven at Super Rugby level (and Ngatai is actually playing his best rugby for Wellington at fullback). The outside backs are well covered between Tikoirotimu, Nanai-Williams, Masaga, Robinson, Horrell, and Ngatai, though I'm sure they will add another wing option.

Last edited:
Lol. My mate is quentin macdonalds cousin and he hates me for supportnlig the chiefs. Thanks for these lists invictus

I'll try get at least another squad or two up today!

I agree with a lot of what you've said Darwin. I think the Blues success could well hinge on how many of Mackintosh, Muliaina and Nonu the Blues sign. Likewise, Boric being healthy, Weepu being fit, and whether or not Kerr steps up to Super level will be major factors also. I completely agree about the centres, I kept my lists to only using guaranteed players though :)

I'm actually enjoyed seeing vant Leven and Cathcart (from Waikato and Counties) play this season - I think they've both stepped up their game and are young players. I hope one/both get signed by a squad. They're both hard working loosies.

I'll try get at least another squad or two up today!

I agree with a lot of what you've said Darwin. I think the Blues success could well hinge on how many of Mackintosh, Muliaina and Nonu the Blues sign. Likewise, Boric being healthy, Weepu being fit, and whether or not Kerr steps up to Super level will be major factors also. I completely agree about the centres, I kept my lists to only using guaranteed players though :)

I'm actually enjoyed seeing vant Leven and Cathcart (from Waikato and Counties) play this season - I think they've both stepped up their game and are young players. I hope one/both get signed by a squad. They're both hard working loosies.

I will leave you to put up the squads then, as you are doing a bloody good job of it (and I am too busy/lazy at the moment to do it myself)!

I agree vant Leven has had a good season, while I think Cathcart has been outstanding. I'm not sure whether vant Leven has done enough to get himself a Super rugby contract (as we have an abundance of talented young loosies around the country), but I would be very surprised if someone doesn't offer Cathcart a contract. Though Cathcart is probably better suited to 6, rather than 8, I think he could be a potential starter for either the Blues or the Chiefs at 8, as neither team has an established 8 on their roster. I think the Chiefs in particular would be a great fit for Cathcart, as his style of play could be just what they need at 8.

Unfortunately we've got a number of flashy loosies (Savea) that may well pick up contracts when the hard grafters are being overlooked!

Unfortunately that often happens. On that note, I've just seen Savea has been signed by the Hurricanes for 2 years.....

Saw that as well. Not the worst thing for the Canes though. If he wasn't signed I'd criticize the Canes for letting someone else poach him (which the Highlanders certainly would), but at the same time I don't expect to see him play much super rugby in those two years of his contract. At least we get a chance to develop him and hopefully it will pay off in two years time when he'll be of good use and re-sign.

Great ;)

Hurricanes:

Prop (4)
R Goodes
B May
J Toomaga-Allen
B Franks

Hooker (2)
D Cole
M Matu'u

Lock (3)
J Broadhurst
J Eaton
J Thrush

Loose Forward (7)
J Lam
F Levave
K Lowe
B Shields
S Lilo
V Vito
A Savea

Halfback (2)
T Perenara
C Smylie

First Five (2)
B Barrett
J Marshall

Centre (3)
T Bateman
J Hayward
C Smith

Outside Back (5)
C Jane
R Buckman
A Leiua
J Savea
A Taylor

Other Possible Players:
- F Wilson

Possible 22:
1 May
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Eaton
5 Thrush
6 Lam
7 Lowe
8 Vito
9 Perenara
10 Barrett
11 Savea
12 Bateman
13 Smith (c)
14 Jane
15 Taylor
16 Matu'u
17 Toomaga-Allen
18 Broadhurst
19 Shields
20 Wilson
21 Hayward
22 Leiua

No huge changes to the Canes for next season, at least so far. They have a decent forward pack, though I don't know how hard working it is, compared to other packs. Coles, May, Thrush, Broadhurst among others tend to spend more time in the backline than in the rucks, in my opinion. They'll need another first five (Waenga, Kirkpatrick, Hobbs?) to back up Barrett (and Bateman can cover), as well as another good centre.

Last edited:
Saw that as well. Not the worst thing for the Canes though. If he wasn't signed I'd criticize the Canes for letting someone else poach him (which the Highlanders certainly would), but at the same time I don't expect to see him play much super rugby in those two years of his contract. At least we get a chance to develop him and hopefully it will pay off in two years time when he'll be of good use and re-sign.

Yep, he certainly will be good in 2 years time when he comes off contract. We will have him then thank you.

Yep, he certainly will be good in 2 years time when he comes off contract. We will have him then thank you.

:D

Apparently Emery was offered a WTG contract with the Canes, which he turned down in favour of a full contract with the Highlanders.

Right, bored again, so I will do a quick analysis of the Canes squad thus far:

I'm starting to quite like the look of the front row. Ben Franks is a massive gain, while May had probably his best season last year. Toomaga-Allen continues to improve, and I have been very impressed with his scrummaging for Wellington this season, while Goodes is another talented young prop. Coles continues to improve, while Matu'u is the ultimate impact player from the bench. The Canes may not have the most dominant scrum in the competition, but they should hold their own against most teams, and all of their front rowers are very good around the park. The locks are solid, if slightly lacking in star power - I'm sure they will add another lock or two as well (maybe Reddish again or a youngster like Latta/Fatialofa - Filipo has impressed, but I understand he is still signed with Wasps). There are plenty of good options in the loose forwards - I'm hoping to see Shields get plenty of starts in the 6 jersey next season.

The starting halves look strong, but the fact the lack of quality back-ups is a major area of concern. I'm sure Smylie and Eaton will again be in contention for the backup 9 spot this season, while Frae Wilson is also an option, but hasn't really impressed me for Wellington. Someone I think they should genuinely consider is young Taranaki halfback Jamison Gibson-Park, who looks a real talent. I'm sure the Canes will ignore him though (as he isn't from Wellington), then Nick will get all fired up when the Highlanders/Crusaders "poach" him ;) . Southland/Fiji halfback Nemia Kenatale is another they could look at, as is Otago/Japan Fumiaki Tanaka (though I'm sure the Highlanders/Blues/Crusaders have their eyes on these two too). Not sure what the Canes will do in terms of a back-up 10. Bateman is clearly one option, though they need another goal-kicker in the XV if he played there (Andre Taylor?). James Marshall has been playing well for Taranaki (though again isn't a goal-kicker), while they could look at the likes of Ash Moeke, Hayden Parker (hopefully the Highlanders will sign him up though), or Michael Hobbs (I think Hobbs is probably the most likely).

Like in the halves, the rest of the backline look great in the starting positions, but depth looks to be a real issue. They look reasonably well covered in terms of midfield options (with Bateman, Hayward, C Smith, Buckman, and Leiua all capable of playing here), though I'd imagine they will add another midfielder (maybe someone like Willison). The Canes could do with a couple more options out wide too - Kurt Baker would be an obvious target (as he is off contract with the Highlanders and playing great rugby), while I would also look at the likes of Nemani, Nafi Tuitavake, Osbourne, Stowers (if available), Halai, Veainu, and Renata (as a goal-kicking fullback who could offer cover at 10).

Last edited:
As a fun little aside, look at how many of the All Black's backs come from the Hurricanes region ;)

Only ones not from there are Carter and B Smith.

As a fun little aside, look at how many of the All Black's backs come from the Hurricanes region ;)

Only ones not from there are Carter and B Smith.

The two best ones :dance3:

Last edited:
Anyone think someone will sign Scott Waldrom? Know he's injured atm but I still rate him as one of the best opensides in the country (certainly the most underrated).

Anyone think someone will sign Scott Waldrom? Know he's injured atm but I still rate him as one of the best opensides in the country (certainly the most underrated).

I would suggest the Highlanders sign him, but you would accuse us of being poaching ******** again ;)

I agree though - I still think Waldrom is good enough for Super Rugby. It wouldn't surprise me if the Crusaders make him an offer, as McCaw is out for most of the season, and they need someone to backup Todd.

I definitely rate Waldrom - were it not for our good supply at the Chiefs I'd love to have him back.

Latest posts