NZRFU V RFU (Tews V Ritchie)

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/26517/all-blacks-ramp-up-test-price-to-3m/

NZRFU wanting £3 million for the out of window England game in 2017, up from £1.5 million.
Also apparently rejected the BaaBaas for and World XV game (Like WTF).

Personally i hope the RFU tell them to jog on.
Would rather play someone like Japan TBH instead. (Who i don't think have ever played England in Twickenham and the only other time we have played them was in 1987).

Tew needs his butt kicking IMO, first the threaten to withdraw from the World cup and now this, NZ are not as big a player in the market as they like to think.

Guessing roughly, a sold out Twickenham with an average ticket price of £200 makes £16.4 million. Add on TV rights, beer sales, etc, and £3 million doesn't seem unfair for the people providing half the entertainment, especially as undisputedly the best team in the world.

Of course I've no idea of costs, invested capital, money to pay the team and coaches and ground staff, licensing fees, etc, so I don't know about the profit margin.

The issue comes from the fact that Twickenham can sell out nigh on every game, so realistically NZ deserves little more than any other team. Not sure where I stand here.

Average price of £200? That include full hospitality and car parking?!!

I would go with Tigsman at £6 million bring 80k@£80 average.....

Average price of £200? That include full hospitality and car parking?!!

I would go with Tigsman at £6 million bring 80k@£80 average.....

£6M is the known and reported; as is that the Kiwi's want 50% of the take, doubling their current 25% (£1.5M)
There is no debate on these numbers.
We should play Georgia or a PI instead - or hell, even the BaaBaas (who NZ are also refusing to play, because of $$$)
Do we get a 50/50 share of games played in NZ?

Don't be silly - besides; even if we did; it wouldn't be as much; because the NZRU haven't invested £76M (with another £54M to come) in any stadium in order to actually make some money out of them. They just want other people's money; it's their right as the All Blacks!

Last edited:
Good to see that they have been told to stuff off even though would be good to see just how good England would be at that stage!

I am not too upset about them not playing the BaaBaas and would just ask does anyone know where the money all goes from their matches? I do know that the players now get paid and that trips abroad are financed for development but what about the rest?

Good to see that they have been told to stuff off even though would be good to see just how good England would be at that stage!

I am not too upset about them not playing the BaaBaas and would just ask does anyone know where the money all goes from their matches? I do know that the players now get paid and that trips abroad are financed for development but what about the rest?

the teams they play tend to get a fixed sum regardless of attendance (Think sponsorships cover this).

RFU will get a cut for the stadium, I think the majoity of the money goes to players, trips and employees. (Think)

the teams they play tend to get a fixed sum regardless of attendance (Think sponsorships cover this).

RFU will get a cut for the stadium, I think the majoity of the money goes to players, trips and employees.
(Think)

That is an awful lot of money left for "players, trips and employees" for which there is no public accountability.....

They are at Wembley and in Belfast this year for two matches (per their website) so will be producing what a couple of million minimum from those?

How many employees or recruiting agents do they have or need and how much do they cost?

What happens to the "profits" and why is it not public knowledge?

Maybe they donate it all to the Wooden Spoon rugby charity? Who knows.......

Coming to another country and demanding half of the earnings despite having sunk little to no costs into the considerable expenses of actually running fixture? Stay classy you greedy greedy fool.
I know for a fact that when they visit a country the All Blacks are unbelievable ambassadors for their country and the sport, going out of their way to meet fans, and they have earned and continue to earn their rep as the biggest brand in rugby. What totally flies in the face of that is their union appearing as selfish knobs who are intent on cashing in on the skill of their team and the incredible good will they generate wherever they go.

New Zealand is a small country, we don't have the economy to compete with big unions like England on a financial footing , so we have to use what we have, and in this case, what we have is the All Blacks; back-to-back World Champions, and the number one rugby country in the world. Its a case of supply and demand. The All blacks are in huge demand, the Yanks want us to play in the USA (this year they will be playing Ireland in Chicago), the JRFU want us to play in Japan, HKRU want us as well, and so do Singapore.

Remember, they don't have to play the extra out of window match v England. NZRU got a NZ$5 (£2.78m) share of the profit from additional matches between the All Blacks and Australia in Tokyo and Hong Kong, so we can always do that again, especially Japan in the lead up to 2019 RWC.

The RFU may be able to fill Twickenham for matches against any team, but they wont get the premium ticket prices for a match v USA or Canada or Fiji that they would for the All Blacks, and their broadcasting revenues will not be as great either.

Last edited:
How about we take half the revenue for the Lions tour next year.

Good luck with theory Cookie, Twickers will either not host an extra match that year, or more-or-less sell out without having to give the guests £3M.

Generally speaking, being both beggar and chooser is ill-advised

If you really want to play yet another match against Aus, then feel free - I wonder how long it'll take for that fixture to lose its shine

Yep I'd be happy for Ian Ritchie to tell them to bugger off . Tew seems to have a rather large sense of self importance . We don't get half of their cut at the end of the day . Let's play SA, AUS, ARG and another team from the Pacific islands like this coming year . It won't be long till NZ lower their price . The market is larger in England then anywhere else, they need to play us . Makes me wonder if this is the reason we aren't playing this year tbh

New Zealand is a small country, we don't have the economy to compete with big unions like England on a financial footing , so we have to use what we have, and in this case, what we have is the All Blacks; back-to-back World Champions, and the number one rugby country in the world. Its a case of supply and demand. The All blacks are in huge demand, the Yanks want us to play in the USA (this year they will be playing Ireland in Chicago), the JRFU want us to play in Japan, HKRU want us as well, and so do Singapore.

Remember, they don't have to play the extra out of window match v England. NZRU got a NZ$5 (£2.78m) share of the profit from additional matches between the All Blacks and Australia in Tokyo and Hong Kong, so we can always do that again, especially Japan in the lead up to 2019 RWC.

The RFU may be able to fill Twickenham for matches against any team, but they wont get the premium ticket prices for a match v USA or Canada or Fiji that they would for the All Blacks, and their broadcasting revenues will not be as great either.

Better way of putting that is 'All Blacks wants Yanks to watch them in the USA' or 'All Blacks want Japanese to watch them in Japan'. Unions like USAR or JRFU have nothing remotely like the financial power to afford those prices NZRU ask of the RFU. They are only going there in the longer term hope that those markets open up for them in the future.

Also there's only so many times you can play Australia ad nauseam until people get bored. The likes of England have plenty of other teams who they can fill stadia playing against, they can easily survive without New Zealand visiting. Same cannot be said of NZ minus money from European market.

Not saying tre isn't pushing his luck a little...

...but it's coming across like just as much arrogance from the England, we can do what we want, were a big deal, we can just play someone else, NZ will come begging soon enough etc...

Just saying

The arrogance is asking for double the existing fee which, of course, means half the gate take with no allowance for the huge costs that are entailed in staging the event.

This is especially so when the reverse fixture brings in so little for the RFU! England touring with attendant financial benefit to the NZFU in particular (and the NZ economy in general) is part of the overall financial package that should be taken into account!!

If this is merely a negotiating position then it is only right that England's is that they can do without the AB's and play someone else!!

I am sure that it will be resolved but it is rather silly to think that England would just roll over!!

...but it's coming across like just as much arrogance from the England, we can do what we want, were a big deal, we can just play someone else, NZ will come begging soon enough etc...
It might be arrogant but it's true.
NZ need us way more than we need them. We'll just sell out vs a different team, maybe the tickets will be lower but their cut will be lower as well, and if we don't do that then we still have significantly more money than any other union so can take the hit.

I wonder how much money the NZRU make off of our tour of NZ compared to how much we make. 50/50 split is it?

Also there's only so many times you can play Australia ad nauseam until people get bored.

That's funny.

England plays Scotland EVERY YEAR. DO England fans get bored with it?
Wales plays Ireland
France plays Italy

etc etc

And how about domestic rugby? AP, Pro 12, Top 14 and ProD2 teams meet multiple times every year. Sometimes only twice, often four times, potentially six times.

Here is a list of European Domestic teams that will meet at least four times this coming season

Glasgow & Munster
Connacht & Zebre
Sarries & Sharks
Castres & Montpellier
Clermont & Bordeaux
Bayonne & La Rochelle
Grenoble & Lyon
Bath & Bristol

Doesn't that ever get old for the fans of those clubs?

Latest posts