NZRU Bring back the TMO..with a difference

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
The NZRU have resurrected the TMO for the ITM Cup (for NH readers, last year it was the Air New Zealand Cup; the National Provincial Championship)

The difference here though, is that the TMO will be on the sideline, similar to the arrangement in the NFL

NZ bring back TMO
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:42

The New Zealand Rugby Union has decided to bring back the use of television match officials in its provincial championship, now called the ITM Cup.
The reintroduction of TMOs will see a sideline match official take on the role of TMO and have use of a television monitor for replays if required by the referee.
Referees will be able to call on the sideline match official for a TMO decision. That official will have direct communication with the director of the SKY broadcast to get all the relevant angles replayed. The official will then use the RefTalk communication system to relay the decision back to the referee.
The match official with the TMO role will be appointed jointly by the provincial union hosting the match and the NZRU.
The use of TMOs in the domestic provincial competition was one of several initiatives affected by wide-ranging NZRU budget cuts in 2009, said NZRU general manager professional rugby Neil Sorensen.
Sorenson said: "This was one of the tough decisions we had to make last year, and the feedback from fans and Provincial Unions was clear - they wanted us to find a solution. Since then, we've been working with our broadcast partner SKY Television, ITM Cup coaches, and Provincial Union officials to find an acceptable and more affordable alternative.
"We've had great cooperation for the technical requirements from both SKY and Murray Tregonning and Associates who supply the RefTalk radio communications for our match officials."
The previous TMO system required specifically appointed match officials to have their own technology booths at the ground along with additional match cameras. The new sideline monitor system is considerably less expensive.
The NZRU's High Performance Referee Manager Lyndon Bray welcomed the introduction of sideline TMOs as an added tool for referees.
Bray said: "We were delighted with the level of decision-making of our referees last year, and adding this solution in 2010 will allow them to utilise technology on those few occasions when they are completely unsighted.
"Those few occasions may be quite clear to everyone watching at home, but can be missed by the match officials if they are unsighted."

Hahaha yes ... the NFL Booth!

Will we see Coaches with the red flag also?

God Forbid that coaches be able to challenge calls and waste time going to a TMO like in the NFL. Why does the Southern Hemisphere insist on messing around with rugby? Every year they test out new laws and tinker with this and change up that. Enough already. I sound like a 80 year old man shouting at a pigeon, don't I?

I think it's good they've got a TMO, but to have him just at the side of the field isn't very good. It's better when they're away, and can't be swayed by anything/can avoid abuse from irate fans/managers on his calls

I sound like a 80 year old man shouting at a pigeon, don't I?
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

Last edited:
God Forbid that coaches be able to challenge calls and waste time going to a TMO like in the NFL. Why does the Southern Hemisphere insist on messing around with rugby? Every year they test out new laws and tinker with this and change up that. Enough already. I sound like a 80 year old man shouting at a pigeon, don't I?

Well, we can do what we want in our domestic competition. We don't have a TMO on the sideline to alter the game in anyway, we do it to cut costs. Ideally, this situation wouldn't occur.

A TMO would possibly have changed the arrangement of the top four last year, on just one decision alone; the non awarding of a match-saving injury time try by Sona Taumalolo for Hawkes Bay v Canterbury in R12.

[video=youtube;k1thHhpWpDE&start=55]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1thHhpWpDE&start=55[/video]

It was disallowed by the AR as he ruled Taumalolo in touch, which clearly was not. That would have gone to the TMO who would have awarded the try.

The Bay could have got a draw if Matt Berquist could have converted from the sideline. A draw was the difference between them getting them a home semi v Wellington instead of away v Canterbury.

Last edited:
Well, we can do what we want in our domestic competition. We don't have a TMO on the sideline to alter the game in anyway, we do it to cut costs. Ideally, this situation wouldn't occur.

How does a TMO "cut costs"?

I think the cutting costs is that this TMO will have access to the TV camera angles, whereas other TMOs have extra cameras in the stadium at their disposal.
Still don't understand why he has to be on the sidelines though

I think the cutting costs is that this TMO will have access to the TV camera angles, whereas other TMOs have extra cameras in the stadium at their disposal.
Still don't understand why he has to be on the sidelines though

Firstly, you are right. The "full" TMO requires additional camera angles, so that means more cameras... so more cost whereas the sideline TMO will only have the normal "non-TMO match" camera angles to choose from.

Secondly, a full TMO is a fifth official who has a lot of special equipment installed in a booth. I have worked in one as an "assistant" VT Operator during a Super 12 match. The cost of installing and uninstalling all that equipment for each match is high. However, AIUI the fourth official (who usually manages subs, replacements water carriers and binned players) will be doubling as the sideline TMO when required.

I think it's good they've got a TMO, but to have him just at the side of the field isn't very good. It's better when they're away, and can't be swayed by anything/can avoid abuse from irate fans/managers on his calls

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg
LOL...haha...exactly!!! :D

Ok, so the point here that a cheap TMO will be used in NPC. Will he be used for any action or only like in Test Rugby to check if a try is scored or not?

Latest posts