• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O`Callaghan to join Gloucester?

D

danny

Ive just received a text message from a mate who is a former Gloucester player and who still has close links to Kingsholm and he is sure that Donncha O`Callaghan will be joining Gloster at the end of this season. Personally this is very exciting news as he is just the type of player we need in the front five. Apparently he was not happy with the new deal offered to him by the Irish RFU. Interested to hear the views of any Irish or Munster fans.

Not sure what to make of it to be honest, it'd be interesting to see if it damages his international career if he does go.

It'll be interesting to see how much if any publicity is given to this, if there's plenty of chatter in the press then I'd imagine it'll be used by O'Callaghan and his advisers to get a better deal from the IRFU.

Seems to have been something about this on the BBC messageboards, I know not the best of places to be getting information from, but it does strike me more as a ploy for him to get a better deal from the IRFU

Not sure what to make of it to be honest, it'd be interesting to see if it damages his international career if he does go.

It'll be interesting to see how much if any publicity is given to this, if there's plenty of chatter in the press then I'd imagine it'll be used by O'Callaghan and his advisers to get a better deal from the IRFU.
[/b]

You could well be right but this is not idle speculation my source has been right many times before. He knew about the Olly Barkley signing way before it became news. The old wage cap must be quite close to maximum if this signing is true?

and now he's also been linked with a move to Paris as well, definitely looks like he's on the prowl for a better deal.

No offence to any Gloucester fans but I would be shocked if he left. Let's hope this is just as legitimate as Bod's move to Biarritz a few seasons ago.

that was again BOD looking for a better deal, the same thing happened with O'Gara when he was linked with the Miami Dolphins, wonder will the IRFU call his bluff and allow Ryan to further develop.

Ive just seen the local Gloster paper and it does confirm that Paris are also chasing his signature so you are probably right An Tarbh when you say its a ploy for a better deal. If he did leave would he still be able to play for Ireland. I would presume not as he would nt be centrally contracted?

Ive just seen the local Gloster paper and it does confirm that Paris are also chasing his signature so you are probably right An Tarbh when you say its a ploy for a better deal. If he did leave would he still be able to play for Ireland. I would presume not as he would nt be centrally contracted?
[/b]

No he'd still be able to play for Ireland, it's just that Eddie has traditionally favoured home based players ahead of those who play abroad, although there's obvious exceptions.

I have heard that Marcus Horan's and Shane Horgan's deals both end at the end of the season as well.

and coincidentally they've been linked with unnamed clubs in England and France

Wouldn't it suck if Ireland lost Best, Bowe, O'Callaghan, Horgan and Horan to foreign clubs all at once.

I think Bowe and Best would/are going to be the biggest loss out of all those players, as the rest all have capable players to cover, Pucciarello, Fitzgerald, Ryan.

Not fussed about players leaving, except when they're leaving Munster. BOD probably should have gone a couple of seasons ago.

Here's the thread at Munsterfans - http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_pos...=10540&PN=1

Has all the gossip about him skulling pints in Kingsholm, and speculation about whether he'd just gotten off the Orly or Heathrow flight when spotted at Cork airport.

If he does go, he'll end up at Gloucester, where he won't have to change his red jocks. Can't see him in pink ones at Stade.

Your assuming that these guys are suddenly going out into the wilderness. I dont see a problem with them letting players head off out into the world, once it doesnt impact on thier ability to represent the national team. Eoin Reddan and Geordan Murphy have all done okay, why not O'Callaghan. Its not as if Munster are short of cover in that position.

The market sets the rates. If he can get a better deal elsewhere and see the world a bit, why not go ahead and do it.

But does the market set the rates? Ireland's top players have a cushy number on pay and taxes.

Not sure about the tax position for exiles - can they "play away" and come back to receive the ten years tax exemption? Surely they have to pay taxes every year in the place they're playing? Or do they remit everything to Ireland and wait till they return before declaring it as income?

Shane Byrne's move to Saracens buggered up his pension with the IRFU, he only needed to play 1 more year here to get it as well. Since he played most of his career in Ireland and didn't get the full IRFU pension scheme then I'd imagine DOC et al won't be so lucky

Shane Byrne's move to Saracens buggered up his pension with the IRFU, he only needed to play 1 more year here to get it as well. Since he played most of his career in Ireland and didn't get the full IRFU pension scheme then I'd imagine DOC et al won't be so lucky [/b]
I could be mistaken but I'm led to believe that Shane Byrne returned to play in Ireland with Blackrock (for a nominal fee) for this season so he could claim his taxes back from the government.

As for O'Callaghan, he's a decent player and would definitely add to the Gloucester squad, or any other squad for that matter. What Munster need to ask themselves is whether or not O'Callaghan at nearly 30 is going to get any better. Surely he'll be looking for a 3 or 4 year contract. When he's 32 or 33, will he be worth the money they'll have to splash out now? In my opinion, Munster can afford to let DOC leave. Mick O'Driscoll isn't too far behind in terms of talent while Donnacha Ryan is a more than capable player who could be of international standard and equal to or better than DOC in 18 months if given the chance.

Latest posts