• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Connell and Best out of summer tour

is he i thought he was younger
in that case why isnt quinlan off he is a far better player

I am not a fan of the Ronan selection either, but let's face it he won't get into the 22 for either of the tests, and the type of game the Maoris will play against is will suit him down to the ground. He will be able to tackle everything that moves and scavenge to his hearts content which is where his strenghts are, so in a way I can see why they made it.

Forget Quinlan, It's James Coughlan I would have called up :(:( You know the guy who starts ahead of Ronan in the big games? Already 2 opensides on tour.

coughlan
new young player? seen him in a few match reports didnt really know who he was

29, but new haha. An AIL success story, and a typical "Munster" type no nonsense back row player.

fair enough i dont really know of him
saw he got a few heinliken games
how come he is only making ripples then

I reckon we could be in for a serious embarrassment in a few weeks time, our Scrum will be annihilated, our senior players(BOD, D'Arcy, Wallace, Flannery) look wrecked and well off the mark and all that combined with the loss of O'Connell and Ferris = we're ******.

I wouldn't consider Flannery a senior player. While he's getting on, he's far from a good example for the younger boys. Anyway, he has no excuse. He's been sitting on his arse for half the season through suspension.

Snoop agree about Quinny. Ronan is a super squad player but no more and well we need a 6 not a 7.
As predicted in them 2 teams on last page too I think it safe to assume we all know Deccie and he won't make huge changes. Also I doubt Trimble will get in as he's a good club player but not international class.
Also on Coughlan I made that point to a friend last week that while he will never be international class he is as good as what is there

Coughlan is a good squad player at club level but if I were a Munster fan I wouldn't want him starting very often in the Heineken Cup. He'll be invaluble to them next season what with the world cup and missing halp the senior squad but he's not international class.

Neither are Muldoon, Ronan or Henry. Coughlan wasn't HEC class at the start of this season either :p

While it's true that Chris Henry isn't top international class, he's captained his province and played bloody well most of this season and during the latter half of last season. He's 25 or so and I think he has more of an international future than James Coughlan. He'll never be a regular starter but could pick up in the region of 10 caps for his country.

Coughlan has come on a lot this year but I wouldn't rate him any higher than, say, Stephen Keogh - both are invaluable squad members who can do a job if there's an injury crisis but neither are good enough to be capped.

If Coughlan was 25 instead of 29 I think he would be on tour and be in line for caps, that is the difference. Different type of player to Keogh, who is a physical confrontational ****ly *******. Coughlan is an athlete, good burst of pace, good hands, strong, will never be an international obviously but very underrated even in Munster in my opinion.

Henry will never be an international class 8 but could definitely make it as a 6. Shame he will never get to play there with Ferris there. Do think there is a decent possibility of guys like Ferris, Heaslip and Kearney leaving for France or the Southern Hemisphere after 2011 for a season or 2.

Last edited:
Lads i've seen Coughlan and while I agree he a super squad player and he'd only make bench if Munster had full team but in circumstances of tour and based on his performances I think he deserved to tour ahead of Ronan and possibly Henry and like I rarely see Muldoon amaze me.

i dont rate muldoon very good but hopefuly he proves me wrong! i think henry could earn a few caps could solid honest player

Muldoon to start at 6 bs the Baa Baas lads can we expect that to be sign of things

id have henry over muldoon at 6
tuhoy also plays flanker i think it was 6 he played for ireland a
so mabey a mod doc second row with tuhoy at 6

Latest posts