• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Driscoll to Stade Francais in 18 Months? Let the Speculation Begin!

Should B'OD Move to France?

• Total voters

ORothlain

Official Plastic Paddy
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ulster
brian_o%27driscol&.jpgAccording to RTÉ, Brian O'Driscoll may follow his Leinster Coach, Michael Cheika, to Paris to play in the Blue and Red....ehm, the Pink and Blue of Stade Francais.

"I don't rule anything out, (In the past) I did have a big interest in moving. I was a bit dismayed about Leinster going through three coaches in three years. I wondered were Leinster going anywhere, but Michael Cheika gave us that stability. But that doesn't mean you have to stay in one club for your whole career. If the situation arose, I'd certainly be open to the idea of it"
Read more here: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/0408/odriscoll.html

Brisn_ODriscoll_-_Gillette.jpg

So, could a post RWC'11 see the Irish Legend in France?

" If the situation arose, I'd certainly be open to the idea of it" - That pretty much guarantees every French club putting an offer his way after the WC

I wonder if that means he wouldn't play for Ireland anymore (either through choice, or through not being in Ireland. Does kidney mind if players play abroad? I know Bowe and Murphy play in Wales/England)

Last edited:
If he moves, good luck to him. He'll be approaching 33 after the next World Cup so from an Irish perspective, it may be time to look in a different direction. If O'Driscoll moves to France, he'll still be available for Ireland and it'll also give a player like Eoin O'Malley, Luke Fitzgerald, Fergus McFadden or Brendan Macken the Leinster 13 jersey. Everybody will benefit. He'd earn a serious wedge of money in France too.

Why not? The French league is the best in the world and he's done everything there is to do in Ireland. He may not need to build up the pension fund considering all the endorsements etc he already does, but I'd imagine getting paid a bucket-load to have a new challenge would be very appealing to him. Good luck to the guy.

Why not? The French league is the best in the world and he's done everything there is to do in Ireland. He may not need to build up the pension fund considering all the endorsements etc he already does, but I'd imagine getting paid a bucket-load to have a new challenge would be very appealing to him. Good luck to the guy.
The French League is pretty exciting. To me it's a good cross between the Southern Hemisphere style and the North.
He'd do well to earn some big bucks in the land of croissants and live the flash lifestyle.

I'd fear that at 33 his body wouldn't be up to the week in week out rigours of the Top 14. We all know he likes throw himself about a bit and it does take it's toll.

I'd wish him all the best if he does go. A fantastic servant of Ireland and Leinster and we have uncounttable memories of his brilliance.

If he goes I'll applaud him, it not like he'd be leaving Leinster in trouble as by then many prospects will be coming through and as Snoop said he'll be 33 so it'd only be a final payday and I think he is 1 player who 100% deserves it.

But 1 comment BOD made is body is battered so like he won't have long in him then as he has taken massive hits over the years and naturally his body must be worn a bit.

I think he'll definitely go post RWC. It'll be a sad day to see him leave Leinster though, can't even imagine him playing for anyone else...

Glad if he does go because he owes Leinster and Ireland nothing and deserves a big payday before retiring.

Also I don't think he'd leave just for money as BOD is a competitior and will be going expecting to win Top 14

Salary cap would be an obstacle if it ever happens in France, you would need two good 13's. Drico by then will be good for big games only I'd say, sure even now he only plays HEC and hom Magners league games, would not be up for week in week out rigours of T14 (or T12 if it goes that way) rugby.

stll sure many french clubs would gladly sign him up
he may only play important games but also think what a mentor to young centers at your club

Latest posts