• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Offical ball of the next world cup?

M

Mako

Adidas are in making of a new ball that they hope will surpass Gilbert in becoming the offical ball of the world cup. My opinion is that all adidas balls made are **** and there is no way they can make a design that will surpass gilbert balls quailty.

Originally posted by Mako@Feb 15 2005, 06:34 PM
.My opinion is that all adidas balls made are **** and there is no way they can make a design that will surpass gilbert balls quailty.
i love gilberts balls
<
...nah yeah addidas suck....stick to ya clothing line and gilbert will provide the nuts
<

Gilbert are known to produce quality balls so they should just stick with them. If the Adidas ball was somehow different and effected kicking (as has happened with the Mitre ball used by Italy in the 6 nations) then there would probably be a lot of complaints from players.

Hope gilbert remain, adidas produce crap balls that look shite too... like the one used in the baabaa game

Adidas did the '91 World Cup didn't they -- very narrow balls.

Gilbert are great.

But I think they should bring back the old leather MATCH balls; then we'd see which players actually have good handling skills.

what balls are used at club and school level in the SH? For us in Ireland it's Gilbert all the way at all levels from kids to adults.

Originally posted by cavan@Feb 15 2005, 07:12 PM
what balls are used at club and school level in the SH? For us in Ireland it's Gilbert all the way at all levels from kids to adults.
We got to use one of those Mitre balls in a club match the other day. I quite like them. Don't see what Ronan O'Gara's problem with them is.

O'Gara just kicked shite against Italy, he had no problem with the ball in 2001.

It's mainly Gilbert where I play. My club brought some cheap, old model adidas balls for pratice only. Damn they were the worst balls I had ever used.

i noticed we had some Summit balls last night at training. I'ver never played many matches with them though.

Summit balls are fine, the worst ball I've ever played with was an O'Neills ball, complete crap.

that yellow adidas ball is probably the worst i'vr ever played with. It was almost impossible to get any length on kicks with it.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 16 2005, 05:37 AM
But I think they should bring back the old leather MATCH balls; then we'd see which players actually have good handling skills.
yea are thos the brown leather ones with black ends and the shoe lace? haha thos balls were phat i last remember playing with one wen i was like 12... that was around 95, 96... coz i remember i kicked it over our neighbours fence and we were all too scared to go get it coz they had a dog, and that was the last time i ever played with one of those balls...

I've got an expensive (but now quite old) Puma ball that is pretty good, but than again I'm not a good enough player to tell the difference between any type.

I agree however that Adidas should stick to clothing, although their shirts etc. still suck in comparison to companies like Cotton Traders or Kooga. (A similar story to all the roundyball companies that are getting in on the act - look at the tripe that Nike turns out that is rugby related).

Originally posted by 187+Feb 27 2005, 03:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187 @ Feb 27 2005, 03:21 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Feb 16 2005, 05:37 AM
yea are thos the brown leather ones with black ends and the shoe lace? haha thos balls were phat i last remember playing with one wen i was like 12... that was around 95, 96... coz i remember i kicked it over our neighbours fence and we were all too scared to go get it coz they had a dog, and that was the last time i ever played with one of those balls...[/b]
Very touching story, 187.
<
<
<
<
<

Don't know about the black ends on the ball. I was talking about one of these (real old school):

GilbLBallSouv-l.jpg

My club uses everything we can get our hands on, but we match balls specific for our team made by gilbert. I hate the addidas balls, makes throwing a right bugger.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 16 2005, 05:37 AM
Adidas did the '91 World Cup didn't they -- very narrow balls.

Gilbert are great.

No mitre did.

nope, adidas withdrew the yellow ball and gilbert took over, gilbert balls are used in 1st 15 rugby, club rugby, npc, super 12 and all blacks. any thing lower it is up to them

Originally posted by cavan@Feb 16 2005, 06:12 AM
Gilbert or Summit.

Latest posts