Offical ball of the next world cup?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Mako, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Mako

Mako Guest

Adidas are in making of a new ball that they hope will surpass Gilbert in becoming the offical ball of the world cup. My opinion is that all adidas balls made are **** and there is no way they can make a design that will surpass gilbert balls quailty.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. i love gilberts balls [​IMG] ...nah yeah addidas suck....stick to ya clothing line and gilbert will provide the nuts [​IMG]

4. Gilbert are known to produce quality balls so they should just stick with them. If the Adidas ball was somehow different and effected kicking (as has happened with the Mitre ball used by Italy in the 6 nations) then there would probably be a lot of complaints from players.

5. umosay

umosay Guest

Hope gilbert remain, adidas produce crap balls that look shite too... like the one used in the baabaa game

6. Adidas did the '91 World Cup didn't they -- very narrow balls.

Gilbert are great.

But I think they should bring back the old leather MATCH balls; then we'd see which players actually have good handling skills.

7. cavan

cavan Guest

what balls are used at club and school level in the SH? For us in Ireland it's Gilbert all the way at all levels from kids to adults.

8. We got to use one of those Mitre balls in a club match the other day. I quite like them. Don't see what Ronan O'Gara's problem with them is.

9. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

O'Gara just kicked shite against Italy, he had no problem with the ball in 2001.

10. Mako

Mako Guest

It's mainly Gilbert where I play. My club brought some cheap, old model adidas balls for pratice only. Damn they were the worst balls I had ever used.

11. cavan

cavan Guest

i noticed we had some Summit balls last night at training. I'ver never played many matches with them though.

12. el_tk

el_tk Guest

Summit balls are fine, the worst ball I've ever played with was an O'Neills ball, complete crap.

13. cavan

cavan Guest

that yellow adidas ball is probably the worst i'vr ever played with. It was almost impossible to get any length on kicks with it.

14. 187

187 Guest

yea are thos the brown leather ones with black ends and the shoe lace? haha thos balls were phat i last remember playing with one wen i was like 12... that was around 95, 96... coz i remember i kicked it over our neighbours fence and we were all too scared to go get it coz they had a dog, and that was the last time i ever played with one of those balls...

15. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I've got an expensive (but now quite old) Puma ball that is pretty good, but than again I'm not a good enough player to tell the difference between any type.

I agree however that Adidas should stick to clothing, although their shirts etc. still suck in comparison to companies like Cotton Traders or Kooga. (A similar story to all the roundyball companies that are getting in on the act - look at the tripe that Nike turns out that is rugby related).

16. Very touching story, 187. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't know about the black ends on the ball. I was talking about one of these (real old school):

[​IMG]

17. My club uses everything we can get our hands on, but we match balls specific for our team made by gilbert. I hate the addidas balls, makes throwing a right bugger.

18. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

No mitre did.

19. wigan_rlfc

wigan_rlfc Guest

Are yellow balls still used in New Zealand?

20. mark_shaw

mark_shaw Guest

nope, adidas withdrew the yellow ball and gilbert took over, gilbert balls are used in 1st 15 rugby, club rugby, npc, super 12 and all blacks. any thing lower it is up to them

21. Wally

Wally Guest

Gilbert or Summit.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!