• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Official Worlds best kickers

I'm both stunned and confused at Francois Steyn being no.4!! I guess he got extra points for kicking it over from 60m out!!

He actually did :p

Springbok Frans Steyn was fourth on the list, thanks to his success with prodigious kicks, for while he only kicked 59% of his 37 attempts, his successful strikes were taken at average 49 metres out, as opposed to 32 to 33 metres for the bulk of kickers.

So basically they adjusted results according to a) where the kick was taken from and b) which stadium the match was played at.

Something interesting that came out of the study outside of the regular findings was that during the time period (2002 to 2011) no team recovered from a deficit greater than thirteen points to win a match. Hate to bring it up, but that puts NZ's win over Ireland last year into perspective, where they were 19 points down!

Last edited:
They really could have made that a lot more accurate, given how few kicks some had to others it does kind of skew the results.

I'm jut going to go cry following the above statement.

Don't have stats on hand, but for a two to three year period (2000-2003) Wilkinson was metronomic with his kicking. The points tally he rattled up in that period was staggering. Recall one game in particular when SA battered England, dominated the scoring chances, but he kicked everything and won the game. Mehrtens was another who was near flawless at his best.

this only proves that SA tend to go for the kicks more than other teams... odds favour them... how are these compiled in any case?

success rate?

my point is just if you go for post more often.. you will have more kicks going over...

who cares about kicks when u can score tries...

Latest posts