• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Officiating of RWC needs to be questioned.

dodgyticker

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
Forgive me for being so abrupt, but I feel compelled to say "this bull shine has got to go." I have just managed to watch the Wales game and think they have been hard done by from poor refereeing that beggars belief.

It's my first post on this website and it's all about Wales loss to South Africa and refereeing in general.

Wayne Barnes really needs to be questioned about his change of style in refereeing at the breakdown. Once thie video of the game becomes available on YouTube,

I will prove my point. (Until then I have not got the capability of getting the game online myself to prove my points.)

Summed up; SA scored 9 points off the back of incorrect calls by Wayne Barnes which cost Wales the game and it's a disgrace that this is still going on in the modern game. If it were the 90's, "ok" but this really is a joke.

I read a post on this website of inconsistency of rugby refereeing and to be honest, it is the truth.

Too often are we seeing injustice by poor inconsistent refereeing that:

1) Do not apply the laws of the game correctly.

2) Are inconsistent in games; inconsistent between referees and inconsistently making wrong calls about plays that are at a detriment to the game.

3) Do not apply the laws in some cases with blatant disregard to what the laws actually state.

I question Wayne Barnes and I Question World Rugby.

This is not good enough, I feel for Wales, they have been out done by poor refereeing and this has got to stop.

Joel Jutge stated before the World Cup that we are going to be applying the laws of the game in a consistent manner and we have seen everything but that, thus far.

Shame on world rugby and Wayne Barnes.

what a joke!

@dodgyticker I watched the game and on the face of it thought WB did ok. I'm not saying you are wrong, but can you run though what happened in those three calls to make you so upset? I'm trying to recall them and think what you may be referring to.

I don't buy the inconsistency argument at all - there is a margin of interpretation in the laws, and it's part of the game.

But there was so much whistling at the breakdown in SA v Wales that I wonder why the yellow card wasn't used. Chaos.

Hey abs, when I can get video evidence on here I will show yer.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't buy the inconsistency argument at all - there is a margin of interpretation in the laws, and it's part of the game.

But there was so much whistling at the breakdown in SA v Wales that I wonder why the yellow card wasn't used. Chaos.

Interpretation is a an excuse made as a cop out to inadequate refereeing.

Are the laws not written down and with plenty of video examples on the World rugby website?

Hey abs, when I can get video evidence on here I will show yer.

Sounds good. I'd say the game should be avaiable on ITV.com (which by the way has been a godsend for us Kiwis without Sky).

Which 3 penalties are you talking about though?

I thought Barnes was ok, in saying that I only saw the 2nd half.

2 things I thought hurt Wales more

1. SA had heaps of ball and when Wales got it they panicked and kicked from where they received, on 5-6 occasions they could have run up 5-15 metres put players onside and then kicked, instead they looked flustered and tried to clear it no matter what. Just needed a few levels heads when they were under pressure and gain some territory.

2. The blindside gap left when SA scored the try, I haven't seen a gap like that left in a long time.

What absolute ballony Barnes clearly helped Wales at the breakdown and gifted them 3 points after a SA knock on that never happened. Honestly Wales wouldnt of got within 14 points of SA if any other Ref in the world was in charge of this match! Southafricas possession and territory stats were totally overwhelming and Barnes was the only thing keeping them in it along with Warburton and co cheating like the good buggars they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Wales has this incredibly predictable habit at every ruck of pushing over it and flopping all over the show on their bellys. Watch the replay when its up and watch wales. You can practically sit there and count the feet like smokes in a ciggy packet all stacked up on each other sealing the ball off!!! They make it look legal by three or so of them all doing it in unison.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats even more funny about this thread is if Australia gets Barnes he'll be a huge advantage to you guys so for an Australian to come in here and start a thread about this BS is just laughable. Nearly every other Australian on this site knows whats up with this.

Last edited:
What absolute ballony Barnes clearly helped Wales at the breakdown and gifted them 3 points after a SA knock on that never happened. Honestly Wales wouldnt of got within 14 points of SA if any other Ref in the world was in charge of this match! Southafricas possession and territory stats were totally overwhelming and Barnes was the only thing keeping them in it along with Warburton and co cheating like the good buggars they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Wales has this incredibly predictable habit at every ruck of pushing over it and flopping all over the show on their bellys. Watch the replay when its up and watch wales. You can practically sit there and count the feet like smokes in a ciggy packet all stacked up on each other sealing the ball off!!! They make it look legal by three or so of them all doing it in unison.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats even more funny about this thread is if Australia gets Barnes he'll be a huge advantage to you guys so for an Australian to come in here and start a thread about this BS is just laughable. Nearly every other Australian on this site knows whats up with this.

Make you self clear!

The South Africans just like any other team in the world lay on the ball to prevent the counter ruck.

Are we talking about squeeze ball here?

Because if we are, that's it's a legal manoeuvre.

Talking about laying on the ball if you are the attacking team; it is an illegal move and the South Africans were guilty of it through out the game. Hence the referee was giving the benefit to SA as he was not giving a penalty to Wales as the law states!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good. I'd say the game should be avaiable on ITV.com (which by the way has been a godsend for us Kiwis without Sky).

Which 3 penalties are you talking about though?

when I have the video online I will definitely show you, without going back I think it was the first three or 4, but the proof is in there and when I get the opportunity. I will.

- - - Updated - - -

I got to say, the blind side gap was atrocious, but the fact is,mWales should and would have won if the referee was doing his job.

Poor refereeing lost Wales that game.

Interpretation is a an excuse made as a cop out to inadequate refereeing.

Are the laws not written down and with plenty of video examples on the World rugby website?
Nah, interpretation is a fact of life. Rugby has a lot of moving parts, and the refs explain their decisions. Fine by me.

Interesting that the TMO is being used less as the tournament gets more intense.

And 8 times out of 10 refs make the wrong call, regardless to if there are a lot of moving or not.

The laws are the laws and if referees can not apply them according to the clearly given guidance by World Rugby, then it needs to go.

- - - Updated - - -

And 8 times out of 10 refs make the wrong call, regardless to if there are a lot of moving or not.

The laws are the laws and if referees can not apply them according to the clearly given guidance by World Rugby, then it needs to go.

Let me rephrase that. It's not guidance. It's written, explained and it's the law. Fact.

Just because it's written and there are video examples on an HD computer doesn't mean it's that clear cut in a highly intense game of international knock out rugby. Referees have to interpret situations and use their discretion whether an act falls under the ambit of the law.

Can I just ask the question dodgy? Did you gamble on this game? Cause you sound like I have often felt when I have lost money on a game which could have gone a different way if certain calls had been made differently. Perhaps you havent, but the tone of your comments sounds mighty familiar to me!!

I was going to post the "Wayne Barnes CHEATS to give Wales the win v Ireland 2015" video that somebody made on youtube to give our Australian friend here some directives on making a video.... LOL. but I suspect its been taken down and in my searches I get the feeling he's been directed to take it down..... Probably by the powers that be's lawyers..... Interesting.

Last edited:
Mate,

Try being a Warriors fan. (I gave up in 2003). Seriously the most robbed team ever. Or a boxing fan. Some of the judges make rugby refs seem like patron saints of fairness.

For the games sake you hope Owens and Joubert are the refs for the semis and final (obviously Joubert will be ruled out if SA make it). The games they ref are just more enjoyable, it feels like the refs have a lot less impact than when Barnes is reffing. I wouldn't out Barnes on the touch line for any games either cause you just know he will interject at some point for a pointless penalty

oh dear... wayne barnes feeling the love again..

Whatever way the refs interpret the rules (and interpret they do) as long as they are consistant for the 80 minutes and avoid the whistle as much as possible, it's all us fans can ask for.

I wouldn't want to ref a RWC final, would you?

You could of made your point by just posting "Wayne Barnes is not a good referee."

On the whole I can't complain about Barnes as the ref, there were a few calls at the breakdown I felt could have gone either way, mainly around how long he let for the tackled player to release the ball, seemed a couple of times a jackler was on the ball legally but he allowed longer time for the evenatual release than other refs may do, as people have said it was down to his interpreatation compared to mine and he's in charge, Im not.

But anyway, the ref is not, in any way, shape or form, why we lost that game

Have to say there has been a few iffy calls but overall I've thought the reffing has been good.
Wayne Barnes had a very good game and Nigel Owens was very good in what was an easy game did to French not turning up.
But can't say the ref has influenced any game.

Have to say there has been a few iffy calls but overall I've thought the reffing has been good.
Wayne Barnes had a very good game and Nigel Owens was very good in what was an easy game did to French not turning up.
But can't say the ref has influenced any game.

Absolutely!

Latest posts