• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Olympic Games Update

No they can't
PEDs aren't some miracle pill, you've still got to put the work in
Ok, maybe not everyone-everyone can do the same,I exaggerated a bit, but (out of curiosity) what's the sense to make a competition among men on PEDs? Just make a "pure" competition, among strong big men who put a lot of the work in, that's all

So all those big guys in Strongman are on steroids? :rolleyes: what's the point to watch it then.. everyone can take steroids and do the same, never really watched Strongman though , don't find it interesting
C'mon Yulia, you know you love it. :D

So all those big guys in Strongman are on steroids? :rolleyes: what's the point to watch it then.. everyone can take steroids and do the same, never really watched Strongman though , don't find it interesting

Sure by that logic wouldn't it be a draw every time?

They couldn't do what they do without the steroids but doesn't mean anybody could do it if they took the same amount. As with many sports genetics play a huge role but due to the wide range of events there's actually a great deal of technique and strategy involved. The 2020 World's Strongest Man is actually a Ukrainian guy, Novikov, who is 6'1" 130kg competing against guys who are 6'8" and nearly 200kg. He manages to win because among other things he's incredibly technically proficient and is very creative in how he approaches events.

Well done to emma twigg in womens ssingle sculls for nzs second gold.

well done nz for sulver in the womens 8 - impressive for a small cpuntry im an understnadably large country dominated event

and now gold in mens 8. We might have less medals in rowing this olympics, all our eggs in a few baskets, but this is an achievement to be equally proud of. 3rd olympic gold for hamish bond

Last edited:
Duncan Scott Team GB swimmer takes his 2nd silver to go with his gold

3rd medal of the games locked in yup. Aidan Walsh through to the semis in boxing against GB's Pat McCormack who sounds equally Irish and should just step aside.

Discussion has to be had about British Rowing performance this year which was pretty awful with just silver and a bronze. Rowing is one of the best funded Olympic sports we have.

People are saying worst performance in 25 years but its worse than that as that 2 medal one of which was gold. We got gold in 84 (so technically higher unless you go by raw count), silver and 2 bronze in 80 if you include the boycott. 76 2 silvers.

So 72 where we got zero medals.

Anyone know how our medals total stacks up to previous years at this stage of the comp?

I always thought we, traditionally, won most of our medals from the non track-and-field type events

Anyone know how our medals total stacks up to previous years at this stage of the comp?

I always thought we, traditionally, won most of our medals from the non track-and-field type events
We're doing pretty well we were something like two medals ahead of this stage compared to Rio which was our most successful games.

Whilst the Rowing regatta was a complete failure compared to our usual standards we've done exceptionally well in the pool we've equalled the medal count from Rio and done far better in colours. Could be our best result in history in swimming which is great once the gala is over.

I think most other sports have been punching at around their weight from previous years as well as the usual couple which we've done better at (like BMX today where we've missed out loads in the past).

The real question is how strong is our track cycling team that and rowing are our modern traditional bankers for picking up the bling.

One of our pundits was saying how we underperformed in rowing. Not sure if I agree considering our first ever medal was a silver in Rio and we came home with a gold and bronze. But according to him we had two medal hopefuls who didn't make finals.

A couple reasonable gold hopes left in the boxing anyway, it'd be fantastic if we could get one after being robbed of a couple in Rio. Kurt Walker probably our best shout after beating the world no. 1, I'd be getting/staying up for any potential gold medal fights too. Outside of that our sailors didn't really fire a shot and we don't have much time for all that running and jumping stuff that's about to start.

One of our pundits was saying how we underperformed in rowing. Not sure if I agree considering our first ever medal was a silver in Rio and we came home with a gold and bronze. But according to him we had two medal hopefuls who didn't make finals.
Yeah that sounds like nonsense to me most sports 2-3 cycles from mile success to being pretty strong and usually a few of your hopefuls are going to fail. Thats also with the might of British funding which is huge when a sport starts getting success although obvious nothing like USA, China, ?Russia?

A couple reasonable gold hopes left in the boxing anyway, it'd be fantastic if we could get one after being robbed of a couple in Rio. Kurt Walker probably our best shout after beating the world no. 1, I'd be getting/staying up for any potential gold medal fights too. Outside of that our sailors didn't really fire a shot and we don't have much time for all that running and jumping stuff that's about to start.
Annalise Murphy might have a good shout in the sailing still. Kellie Harrington is a win away from a medal in boxing too. Thomas Barr has had a strong start too and was so close in Rio. Most of our other track athletes **** the bed a small bit though. If those 3 and Walker medalled (realistically they won't all, but sure look) it would be a great result for us.

Annalise Murphy might have a good shout in the sailing still. Kellie Harrington is a win away from a medal in boxing too. Thomas Barr has had a strong start too and was so close in Rio. Most of our other track athletes **** the bed a small bit though. If those 3 and Walker medalled (realistically they won't all, but sure look) it would be a great result for us.

Murphy is out of contention already, didn't make the final.

Was great watching Barr in Rio, hopefully he can medal this time. Pity Adeleke wasn't brought into the 4x100m relay team.

Discussion has to be had about British Rowing performance this year which was pretty awful with just silver and a bronze. Rowing is one of the best funded Olympic sports we have.

People are saying worst performance in 25 years but its worse than that as that 2 medal one of which was gold. We got gold in 84 (so technically higher unless you go by raw count), silver and 2 bronze in 80 if you include the boycott. 76 2 silvers.

So 72 where we got zero medals.

This was briefly discussed on radio 4 yesterday. The coach who was been in charge of GB rowing for the last (25?)yrs is well into his 70s and understandably wouldn't commit to still being around for Paris.

So they ditched him for Tokyo as well.

Yeah that sounds like nonsense to me most sports 2-3 cycles from mile success to being pretty strong and usually a few of your hopefuls are going to fail. Thats also with the might of British funding which is huge when a sport starts getting success although obvious nothing like USA, China, ?Russia?
Yeah, very much sounded like a guy trying to put pressure on Olympics Ireland to up the funding, which they should for sure, but not making a real point at all. A lot of it is currently out of a shed in Skibbereen!

Great interview from Aidan Walsh after securing a bronze at minimum:

Murphy is out of contention already, didn't make the final.

Was great watching Barr in Rio, hopefully he can medal this time. Pity Adeleke wasn't brought into the 4x100m relay team.
Shite missed that. V disappointing

Edit: I obviously don't know much about Golf, because I'm too busy talking to babes, but have we a pretty good shot now?

Last edited:

Latest posts