• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Olympic Opening Ceremonies Were a Joke

F

fcukernaut

I didn't see this thread anywhere so I just wanted to mention it here how farcical and brutal the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics were. To start with everything was just slow and boring. There was nothing exciting about anything that was done, the only thing I can remember that was kinda cool were the Orcas. That wheat field thing was just stupid and they didn't even let the holy trinity of Brian Adams, Rush and Sarah McLachland do their thing and really let it rip. Then to top it off the lighting of the torch was all wrong. First, the torch is ugly and retarded looking. Second, our bloody engineers couldn't even get the one arm to work. Third, Wayne Gretzky was not the guy who should have lit the final torch, he's never even won a gold medal for us. Fourth, that long car ride to the water took forever killing the drama completely. What they did right was pick a solid group for lighting the torch inside, Rick Hansen was a fantastic choice and Gretzky is also a fine choice for that exclusive group, just not the final torch bearer. The final torch bearer should have been Terry Fox's mother, I don't care if you around the world don't know who was, it would have been special for every single Canadian to see his mother symbolically end the Marathon of Hope almost 30 years later at the Olympic games. There would not have been a dry eye amongst the Canadians in attendance and it would have meant some for our country. I don't give a rats ass if the world wouldn't understand, we paid billions of dollars to host these games and we can do what we f***ing please. They ****** away an opportunity to show the world that Canada is a forward moving dynamic country with innovation as well as deep tradition. At the very least we could have at least taken the **** and had a laugh about our selves like how the olympic torch was lit on the Simpsons episode last night.

Only half watched the opening ceremony, but i remember thinking the snowboarder on the screen, then continuing in the stadium was a bit...i dunno, lame?
The commentators were like "WOW THAT IS AMAZING" but i just though it seemed a bit disjointed, and not that great.

You think that sounds farcical, just wait until the inevitable 2012 balls up.

Me and the boys were watching it with a few beers and even though we were a little drunk, we were still really bored.
The whales looked pretty cool, but everything else was really boring.
However, this comes from a guy who found every other single opening ceremony godawful and a horrific bore to watch.

Opening ceremonies are boring as hell in general. Some fireworks on a tv sceen? Wow, now when's Futurama on?

Was all a bit bland and boring. I agree about the torch and how it shouldn't have been Gretski but don't think it should have been Fox's mother, besides she carried the flag in so at least they recognised him but he still had nothing to do with the Winter Games. I thought Gagnon should have lit the torch as he's the most successful Canadian Winter Olympian.

Was always a bit dubious when the games were given to Vancouver, especially as World Cup Skiing events were removed from Whistler because of the weather, low and behold we have major problems with the weather and they'll be lucky to get the Alpine Programme finished.

On top of that there's been the screw up with the ice at the speed skating and the incompetence of the officals at the women's and men's biathlon pursuit.

Why are the winter Olympics? Apart from adding to ogrish's video collection of people dying in violent collisions. Is it about selling ski holidays to fat people and ice skates to little girls? Why?

Ceremonies always are a joke. I mean the last olympic ceremony there was involved Boris Johnson...

Not that I have a problem with Winter Olympics (well, maybe with people who call ice dancing a sport), but what's interesting about something we're absolutely **** at? They should do a Rainy Season olympics, we'd f***ing ace that one.

Latest posts