• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"One More Year!" O'Driscoll to Play Until End of June 2014

http://www.thescore.ie/brian-odriscoll-one-more-year-leinster-ireland-911349-May2013/
If he's gonna go that far, he might as well stay for the World Cup. :p

He's got one more shot at another Grand Slam as well as the ABs though, which would surely be a perfect end to his career.

PERFECT! Now Ireland can go into a RWC with a centre who hasn't regularly started for Ireland...I agree, if hes going to stay it may as well be for the next RWC. I wonder if it has anything to do with breaking George Gregan's record? That said if he stayed till 2015 he may well be the first player in history to make 150 test caps...

Whooo great news would love to see him get another Grandslam totally deserves it.

So he's staying for our win against N.Z. and Grand Slam? Good to hear. Excellent news think it was Schmidt being picked as coach that swung it.

Considering he seems to leave injured every few matches, is this a great idea for him?

Considering he seems to leave injured every few matches, is this a great idea for him?

Time will tell but it shows the character of the man. He's probably been told he'll be absolutely crocked in his fifties but he's still willing to put his body on the line for another season. Loads of heart and probably a bit of naivety/stupidity but I really hope Leinter and Ireland give him a good season to go out on.

One more chance at the AB's and France in Paris where it all began, hopefully it's a fairytale ending.

Time will tell but it shows the character of the man. He's probably been told he'll be absolutely crocked in his fifties but he's still willing to put his body on the line for another season. Loads of heart and probably a bit of naivety/stupidity but I really hope Leinter and Ireland give him a good season to go out on.

One more chance at the AB's and France in Paris where it all began, hopefully it's a fairytale ending.

Oh certainly, but he keeps ****ing his shoulder/knee/whatever up, and I have seen him wobble off the field with a head injury numerous time in the last few months. From what I've been told, doctors have advised him to retire a while back. I've seen good friends play on to a lesser extent than him and end up in a whole heap of **** by 45. Furthermore, and I'll be completely honest here, I don't think he is up to international level by then. He had a good performance against us, but I'd describe most of his others recently as adequate. Surely Ireland would be better off developing a new player who can make it to England in 2015. If he retires in June 2014, that gives his replacement the AIs and 2015 6N, maybe some summer tests.

i think he'll stay to the wc he might as well after all ireland are going to win it

We'll see he said he'd make the decision based on how his body was. We'll see I guess given the huge amount of injuries he's had already he's going to have problems when he's older.

Oh certainly, but he keeps ****ing his shoulder/knee/whatever up, and I have seen him wobble off the field with a head injury numerous time in the last few months. From what I've been told, doctors have advised him to retire a while back. I've seen good friends play on to a lesser extent than him and end up in a whole heap of **** by 45. Furthermore, and I'll be completely honest here, I don't think he is up to international level by then. He had a good performance against us, but I'd describe most of his others recently as adequate. Surely Ireland would be better off developing a new player who can make it to England in 2015. If he retires in June 2014, that gives his replacement the AIs and 2015 6N, maybe some summer tests.

I think Joe Schmidt will play it smart to be honest, he seems too intelligent to allow something like that to happen. As for his health I'd think that the way he thinks is that one more year as a pro rugby player and national hero is worth it.

Don't see the point. He gets bashed up and concussed all the time. And after the Lions tour he will have nothing to prove and nothing left to achieve (or realistically aim to achieve). Whilst whoever Ireland pick to play 13 for 2013 will get less time to play.

Lions would be a sensible time for him leave. The massive achievement of a 4th tour and a possible win and 1 or 2 more trophies won with Leinster. That would be a much better way to go out than as a fading BOD playing poorly or a crocked BOD injured.

Don't see the point. He gets bashed up and concussed all the time. And after the Lions tour he will have nothing to prove and nothing left to achieve (or realistically aim to achieve). Whilst whoever Ireland pick to play 13 for 2013 will get less time to play.

Lions would be a sensible time for him leave. The massive achievement of a 4th tour and a possible win and 1 or 2 more trophies won with Leinster. That would be a much better way to go out than as a fading BOD playing poorly or a crocked BOD injured.

Caps record. Needs 6 more can certainly do it. Grand Slam is achievable I'd say and I don't think he wants to leave Ireland on the back of the N.Z. tour and worst 6n. Also simply quitting pro rugby especially for a guy like him can't be at all easy.

Latest posts