• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"Oooooh look, we're not bottlers, look at us" - Pr 12 Final

Really impressive stuff from the Scarlets. To play like that even in the final shows how much faith they've got in the gameplan and in their skills.

They completely blew Munster away, almost able to rip them to shreds on every play, easily getting outside the narrow defense with a combination of quick hands, pace and depth. In comparison Munster only seemed to have their kicking game as their attacking weapon.

Did Munster play poorly, as Leinster had last week? They looked poor, but I'd argue that its Scarlets who's made both look poor. I refuse to accept that both Leinster and Munster would inexplicably play so poorly in the knockout stages of a tournament without any pressure put on them.

Hopefully this is just the beginning. They're good enough to challenge on two fronts next season imo. They're certainly building some depth in their squad, but they'd still struggle to contend with lots of injuries, so that could still prove crucial.

They completely blew Munster away, almost able to rip them to shreds on every play, easily getting outside the narrow defense with a combination of quick hands, pace and depth. In comparison Munster only seemed to have their kicking game as their attacking weapon.

Did Munster play poorly, as Leinster had last week? They looked poor, but I'd argue that its Scarlets who's made both look poor. I refuse to accept that both Leinster and Munster would inexplicably play so poorly in the knockout stages of a tournament without any pressure put on them.
You have fair points that Scarlets were impressive and made their opposition look poor in both matches. However at least in the Leinster match it was leinsters complete lack of incision and game management that stopped them from coming back closer with the man advantage. This was very poor from Leinster with a lot of their key players such as sexton massively underperforming. In the first half though all the credit had to go to the Scarlets excellent attack.
The attack out wide strategy has been Ireland Achilles heel in a number of matches now, such as the Scarlets Vs Leinster, Vs Munster, clermont Vs Leinster, Ireland Vs Argentina, Connacht Vs Leinster. Irish defence seems to be very narrow nationally and provincially. It has been exposed multiple times and Scarlets have done this again. So credit to Scarlets for their enterprising expansive attack but their dominance lies in poor performances and reoccurring flaws within the Irish teams they faced.

Thought the Scarlets have looked like the best team in the NH for the last few weeks. Putting teams to the sword in attack, and finally having a defence.
Have to say I was surprised and disappointed by all the interviews (that I saw) from the Munster players, giving no credit to the Scarlets, just bemoaning how awful they had played.

Find it truly amazing that no Irish team won the champions cup or pro12 final yet they're still, apparently, the best teams in Europe and other sides won because the Irish basically weren't arsed

Find it truly amazing that no Irish team won the champions cup or pro12 final yet they're still, apparently, the best teams in Europe and other sides won because the Irish basically weren't arsed

I don't see anyone saying that?

Fair focks Scarlets, I underestimated you big time and to win twice in Dublin against Irish opposition is incredible.

1st season without a trophy on these shores in 7 years is a bit ****, Leinster came up short because they were very similar to the old "ladyboy" teams that represented us prior to 08. (read as finding a way to lose in games that matter the most despite world class personnel and with some questionable coachin) Munster, who probably have nightmares of walking onto Lansdowne road failed to beat any top class opposition all season, Leinster, Scarlets and Sarries were four of them, their biggest win was probably against Glasgow. Well coached teams have shown our provinces up and the players' tendencies to **** the bed as soon as a system fails ever so slightly has leaked from provincial to national level at times too, not a disastrous season (2 rather impressive international streaks were ended and obvious improvements were seen in our best provincial sides) but very anti-climactic. Next year needs to see Leinster get a bit of grit between their teeth, Munster need to evolve from flat track bullies, both can be achieved and James lowe will jip all over both available trophies.

Congratulations Scarlets. Ye deseeved it. Only getting to bed now after the night. We had superb year and after year 1 great progress was made. We will learn and progress.
On Scarlets. We played poor but they made us look poor. Their counter attack was brilliant and how a certain guy is overlooked by Wales shocks me. I for 1 hope they really kick on and build on this superb year.
Back to us lastly. I hope we play any games anywhere but Aviva. We hate the stadium and our record there is poor. Even games we won were poor performances.

Hell of a performance form the Scarlets... Such a pleasure to watch. Only thing that baffles me is their tendency to take off their halfbacks with over a quarter left to play?! Especially when you're taking off one of the most talented attacking 10's in Wales and replacing him with a crash ball center.

Not that it matters as they'd more or less won the game by then!

Their performances at the end of this season has left me wondering one key thing - Why on earth can't Wales play like that?!

We certainly have the personnel to emulate the Scarlets' style, and I'm convinced we'd find more success if we did. I mean the Pivac and Jones are definitely getting more out of the S Williams and J Davies partnership than Gatland and Howley have managed recently!

Hell of a performance form the Scarlets... Such a pleasure to watch. Only thing that baffles me is their tendency to take off their halfbacks with over a quarter left to play?! Especially when you're taking off one of the most talented attacking 10's in Wales and replacing him with a crash ball center.

Their performances at the end of this season has left me wondering one key thing - Why on earth can't Wales play like that?!

We certainly have the personnel to emulate the Scarlets' style, and I'm convinced we'd find more success if we did. I mean the Pivac and Jones are definitely getting more out of the S Williams and J Davies partnership than Gatland and Howley have managed recently!

Aye. Supplement that Scarlets side with the likes of AWJ, Tipuric, Faletau, Webb, Sam Davies, North, and Giles who are all capable of playing a similar brand of rugby, and there's big question marks over why for Wales these players are incapable of stringing together a few decent phases, or challenging teams offensively? It's becoming more and more apparent that the Welsh coaches are out of their depth in this rugby era where you need more than solid defense and a good kicker to be successful! There's Welsh coaches out there who I believe would do a better job. Dai Young, Danny Wilson, Stephen Jones, Jonathan Humphreys are all proving themselves at regional / club level, something neither Howley or McBryde have done.

Had to miss this but happy to see that arguably the most entertaining and unhistoried sides have won this tournament two years running against their big neighbours. It is good for the tournament.

Zebre to make it three outsiders in a row in 2018!

The main problem is Howley, Howley should never have got the job he is the main reason for the lack of style the Welsh backs show, second problem selection not picking form players, Keelan Giles, Steff Evans, James Davies, Sam Davies, Sam Parry, Ashley Beck all players that should have been given extensive game time last November and during the 6 nations. Stephen Jones needs to be on the coaching staff replacing Howley straight away, then pay Pivac whatever it takes to replace Gats when his contract is up.

Just saw the attendance was over 44k. Seems I am wrong two years running about the downside of not having the final at the home stadium of the top seed.

Latest posts