• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys snap up Cardiff Blues fly-half Dai Flanagan

C

Cymro

_47636540_dai_flanagan_huw.jpg

The Ospreys have signed fly-half Dai Flanagan on a three-year-contract from the Cardiff Blues.

Flanagan, 24, came through the Blues academy and made his debut in May 2006 in the 37-8 defeat at Munster.

He went on to make 25 appearances for the Blues scoring 41 points, but has found first-team action limited.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ospreys/8617312.stm

Anyone see a point in this? It's a pitty he hasn't had more chance at the Blues, as I thought he did very well in the games he was given. It would have certainly made more sense to give him gametime to improve than SNK. I can't see him getting much chance at the Ospreys with Biggar, Hook and Owen all able to play at 10. And from the Ospreys perspective, there's young Jarvis at Neath who looks a good prospect.

Goes back to my point ... Central Contracts are needed in Wales. Flannagan is not a great player ... he is on par with Preistland.

I think the blame lies with the Blues. After signing SNK and now Dan Parks, Flanagan's chances were few and far between, leading him to look elsewhere. With Hook, Biggar and possibly Owen all to be with Wales for years to come an extra outside half for the Ospreys doesnt seem a bad idea, especially with Hook now being a permenent centre anyway.

To be honest Jarivs is a better player than Flanagan at this point in time so for me he is not a big loss. Flanagan had all the talent but has never really prospered into anything. Hopefully Blues might go and sign Mathew Jones who has just been released by Worcester.

Owen is not a fly-half. He's never looked very good there. His future is either at Fullback or 13. However, I actually think this a good signing for the Ospreys, as Jarvis is a good prospect, but I'd give him another two or three years before he's something really special, which happens to be when Flannagan's contract is up. Hook will probaly stay in the centres, as that looks like his best positon, so Flannagan will just be against Biggar.

But then I would say that, as Dai Flannagan comes from the same little village (Of around 100) that my family is from (Except me, born an exile...)

Im a bit miffed by this one. Dai Flanagan was a decent youngster was he made his blues debut - helping the blues to defeat a pretty tidy Stade Francais at the time. Since then we decided to fork out for Sweeny instead and with Nicky there he was third choice and has disappeared into the valley abyss.

To be honest I think it may be a bit late for him now to become an international, its just a sad day thats all. He will act as decent cover if the Ospreys first three ranks are injured.

Is Cuddy ever going to stop signing cheques down in Ospreylia?

I don't think I've heard of him since his drop-goal against Stade (I think) in '07.

The Ospreys just seem to sign anyone and everyone to stop the other regions from having players!

Firstly Fussell from the Dragons (honestly how much game time is he going to get in Ospreylia??) and now Flanagan who never seemed to get the opportunity at the Blues.

About Matthew Jones he's off to the Dragons as ARlidge is on his way back to Japan

Latest posts