Ospreys v Cardiff Blues

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Ospreys.png
Ospreys v Cardiff Blues
Cardiff.png
</div>

Ospreys leave new scrum-half signing Jamie Nutbrown on the bench for the visit of Cardiff Blues on Tuesday.

Rhodri Wells is at nine, Rhys Webb dropping out after starting the win over Connacht, while Nikki Walker is benched for Shane Williams' return.

The Blues have made 10 changes to the team that drew 16-16 with Leinster, Ceri Sweeney taking the fly-half spot.

There are seven changes up front, Paul ***o and Gethin Jenkins on the bench and Martyn Williams rested.

"The Blues v Ospreys is obviously a big game in Wales, so it's a pity it's shoved in the middle of the week," said Blues director of rugby Dai Young.

"We've only really had one day preparation for it which isn't ideal.

"They have the same coaches who were there last year with Lyn, so we're expecting very much more of the same."

Ospreys coach Sean Holley said: "We got our season off to a great start in Connacht on Friday evening, overcoming some awful weather conditions to claim a very pleasing win and we will be looking to build on that against the Blues.

"They played very well themselves on Saturday evening and deserved to beat the reigning champions, so we're in no doubt that it will be a difficult game.

"Derby fixtures are always interesting and this will be no different.

"With so much at stake this season at domestic and international level, I'm sure that there will be some interesting battles to look for right across the pitch, with nothing being held back."

Ospreys back-row Filo Tiatia will make his 50th Ospreys appearance in the match at the Liberty Stadium.

Should Paul James make an appearance off the bench it will be the prop's 100th game for the Ospreys.

Ospreys are still without Lyndon Bateman, Richard Hibbard, Mike Phillips, Gavin Henson and Ben Lewis because of injury.

Honours were even between the two city rivals last season, with each side winning their home matches, although the Ospreys managed a losing bonus point at the Arms Park.

The last five games between the teams have gone the way of the home side, the Blues' only win at the Liberty Stadium coming in December 2005.

Ospreys: Lee Byrne; Tommy Bowe, Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Shane Williams; James Hook, Rhodri Wells; Duncan Jones, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Filo Tiatia, Steve Tandy, Ryan Jones (capt).
Replacements: Ed Shervington, Paul James, Ian Gough, Tom Smith, Jamie Nutbrown, Gareth Owen, Nikki Walker.

Blues: Ben Blair; Richard Mustoe, Jamie Robinson, Jamie Roberts, Aled Brew; Ceri Sweeney, Darren Allinson; Taufa'ao Filise, T Rhys Thomas, Gary Powell, Bradley Davies, Scott Morgan, Ben White, Robin Sowden Taylor, Andy Powell.
Replacements: Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams, Paul ***o, Maama Molitika, Jason Spice, Nicky Robinson, Tom Shanklin.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

BBC Sport

Nice to have some midweek rugby to watch :)

I can't see past a home win here. Ospreys have had an extra day to recover and the Blues have made a hell of a lot of changes which won't help them any.

Given the failure to get the job done on Saturday you can only see a home win here as well especially if the Ospreys can give the wings good service, they should do plenty of damage.

Some very good stuff on show from the Ospreys in that second half especially... Bowe's try was a pearler.

Was a beauty in fairness but didn't expect the Blues to be that poor, certainly looking like a tough season ahead if tonight is anything to go by

Nice one Blues; making the Ospreys look better than they are, eh? Is that your plan Dai Young, you sneaky *******? :mellow: Terrible showing from the Blues - the Ospreys were running in tries at will in the second half...

This performance reminded me of the reason why I dont travel to see Cardiff away anymore. Lacking in shape, drive, direction, it was utter drivel. The Ospreys did well, they fully deserved the win but it makes me wonder why Leicester Tigers seemed so desperate to land Dai Young.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Sep 9 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This performance reminded me of the reason why I dont travel to see Cardiff away anymore. Lacking in shape, drive, direction, it was utter drivel. The Ospreys did well, they fully deserved the win but it makes me wonder why Leicester Tigers seemed so desperate to land Dai Young.[/b]

Apparently Dai Young is a brillaint Forwards coach! Pity he cant coach ours!

Latest posts