Ospreys v Leinster

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Ospreys.png
Leinster.png

Ospreys v Leinster
</div>

The timing of this fixture is unfortunate for both sides but nothing can be done about that now as both sides look to go top of the table at least for 24 hours when they square off at the Liberty Stadium.

Gordon D'Arcy has been released again from the Ireland squad having not featured at all in the England game.

The Ospreys only welcome back Andrew Bishop from the Wales squad. You'd have thought Henson would be released to play this game given it's being reported that he's going to start in Rome next weekend, surely it would make sense for him to have some game time under his belt as he's had precious few opportunities in the recent past.

Always a tough one to call, can't really take much out of Leinster's performance last time out against a poor Scarlets side but then the Ospreys didn't exactly set the world on fire with their recent win over Connacht.

LEINSTER XV v Llanelli Scarlets in the Magners League, Friday, 7.05pm:

15: Girvan Dempsey, 14: Shane Horgan, 13: Fergus McFadden, 12: Gordon D'Arcy, 11: Isa Nacewa, 10: Felipe Contepomi, 9: Paul O'Donohoe, 1: Cian Healy, 2: Bernard Jackman, 3: Stan Wright, 4: Trevor Hogan, 5: Malcolm O'Kelly, 6: Cameron Jowitt, 7: Shane Jennings, 8: Rocky Elsom.

Replacements: 16: Brian Blaney, 17: Stephen Knoop, 18: Devin Toner, 19: Sean O'Brien, 20: Chris Whitaker, 21: Jonathan Sexton, 22: Simon Keogh.

1 change from the team which beat the Scarlets with Bernard Jackman back at hooker. Good to see O'Donohoe getting another run, hopefully the rumours surrounding Reddan coming to Leinster are true but then there's also the rumour that Stringer is a done deal, either way no more Whitaker next year is looking a distinct possibility.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the selection at 9 and my only query would be starting Cameron Jowitt ahead of Sean O'Brien. Good team though with quite a strong bench. I expect McFadden and O'Donohoe to be replaced after 50-60 minutes with Sexton and Whitaker in their places. Sexton's best performances this season have come off the bench (Wasps and Scarlets) and I'm sure that has factored into Cheika's thinking in selecting McFadden ahead of the Mary's clubman. It appears the Nacewa experiment as the starting 10 has ended thankfully.

It makes me sick to see Jowitt start when you have Keogh and especially O'Brien available :toss:

O'Brien is looking more like a 6 than a 7 so it would have been ideal for him to play in this game, especially alongside Jennings who he can only learn off, should he still be used at 7.

This is going to be a stern test for this young O's side. If they play like they did two weeks ago, Leinster will win my a margin. But if the forwards can supply a platform (a big if!) this talented backline has the ability to win us the game. I want to see less aimless kicking from Gareth Owen, less dangerously hopefull long passes from Biggar and Nutbrown needs a good game (he was terrible against Conacht). At least Holley & Humphreys have started with Holah and Tiatia this time round, should make us more competative up front.

Leinster are favourites because of their experienced players in key positions (Dempsey, Horgan, D'Arcy, Contepomi, O'Kelly and Elsom), but I won't write off this young talented Ospreys side.

Edit: Oh here's the Ospreys side btw:

Ospreys: Gareth Owen; Jonny Vaughton, Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Kristian Phillips; Dan Biggar, Jamie Nutbrown; Paul James (capt), Ed Shervington, Cai Griffiths, Filipo Levi, Andy Lloyd, Tom Smith, Marty Holah, Filo Tiatia.

Replacements: Marc Breeze, Craig Mitchell, Rory Pitman, Steve Tandy, Rhodri Wells, Jonathan Spratt, David Bishop.

Further Edit: If Cai Griffiths goes backwards at the same rate of knots at scrum time as he did against Conacht, I think our chances are over. He really isn't regional quality!

Peter Fitzgibbon is an appalling referee who can't control a game. Discuss. His interpretation of the breakdown is a lottery with both sides rightfully feeling aggrieved at his complete ineptitude. Ospreys were harshly penalised just a second or two ago. As for his refereeing at the scrum.......he gives a penalty one way and then reverses it the other come the next scrum for no apparent reason. He's not biased, he's just inept.

13-5 to Leinster with 10 minutes remaining.

Full Time:

Ospreys 8 - 13 Leinster

Leinster go one point clear at the top but Munster have a game in hand. D'arcy scored Leinster's try in the 2nd half with Felipe Contepomi accounting for the other scores. Parker put Ospreys in front 5-0 at the break but their only remaining score was a Dan Biggar drop goal which bagged a bonus point with the last kick of the game.

Only saw start of second half.

Leinster's 9 looked good.

Horgan did great to get the penalty. Darcy scored? You know what that means for Ireland's selection - in my humble opinion!

Munster will eat Leinster and ask for more.

I am always right.

God that was a frustrating game from the Ospreys point of view! Lineout was a complete mess, loosing every ball in the second half I think, and how we didn't score in the last 10min I don't know, 2-3 golden opportunities went begging! Leinster won that game without having to do much! Conditions were pretty aweful though, the kinda rain that turned the ball into a bar of soap.

only saw the last few minutes in the build-up to the Ospreys drop goal, always good to get away with a win in Wales, not a bad return so far from our trips to the principality.

Completely inept performance. Clueless rugby. Jokers for coaches. I am becoming increasingly disenchanted with our franchise.

Malcolm O'Kelly has been cleared of stamping on David Bishop having been cited in the wake of the weekend's match. The committee met in Belfast today and said that on the balance of probability of the presented evidence that no sanction should be imposed.

Latest posts