Ospreys v London Irish

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
15/10/2010 @ 20:00, Liberty Stadium (Sky Sports)

pool3.jpg

Not much to say here really. Ospreys must win, and by more than 7 would be nice.

I would suggest it's not that outlandish a hope, Irish have made a habit over the past few years of putting in an outstanding performance one week then not turning up the next - Especially on the road. They'll be buzzing over the Munster win no doubt, but they're very much a beatable team outside Reading.

All or nothing for the Ospreys ... time for Biggar to pack his bags although seeing the Western Mail this morning at a glance once again they make excuses for the lad. He may be young but he has played enough rugby ...

Tinkering gyppos, we're 3rd!!! surely -5 is less than -6?
I don't give a hoot if I'm petty, we're not bottom!!

I'm hoping for a big LI win - hoping the Ospreys play like they did last Sat..

I'm going for Ospreys by more than 7. Reality is Munster were poor last week and well London Irish didn't get the kill. Also Ospreys will punish every mistake in Liberty Stadium

I'd be shocked if Ospreys lost this game. O's by 10.

After throwing last weekend game, i'd expect us to win at home, but i'm not too knowledgable when it comes to guinness premiership sides (they all keep fluctuating in form; and its heineken cup of course). From what i've read i think this one will be a cracking contest, so it should be a little more exiting to watch than last weeks o's game :D Heart says Ospreys by +10 but then I never know how they'll play. Do or die tho so lets hope for a bonus point :D Can't wait till friday :D

Teams:

Ospreys: Lee Byrne; Tommy Bowe, Andrew Bishop, James Hook, Shane Williams; Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Ryan Jones, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Jonathan Thomas.
Replacements: Huw Bennett, Ryan Bevington, Craig Mitchell, Ian Gough, Justin Tipuric, Jamie Nutbrown, Gareth Owen, Nikki Walker.

London Irish: Topsy Ojo; Jonathan Joseph, Seilala Mapusua, Daniel Bowden, Sailosi Tagicakibau; Ryan Lamb, Paul Hodgson; Clarke Dermody (capt), James Buckland, Faan Rautenbach, Nick Kennedy, Bob Casey, Kieran Roche, Chris Hala'ufia, George Stowers.
Replacements: David Paice, Dan Murphy, Alex Corbisiero, Matt Garvey, Gary Johnson, Chris Malone, Elvis Seveali'i, Darren Allinson.

And yes you've read that right. Ryan Jones is starting at lock with Jon Thomas continuing at 8. Bit of an odd one, but it could work, as Jones is good in the lineout and offers tons of workrate. I'll certainly be interested to see how it goes, but not entirely sure moving another backrower to lock is what's needed!

Interesting move to see Jones move there. He has played there previously for Wales in the early stages of his international career. Is this a move from the above from Warren and co or just a shrewd move by Johnson and co? Im liking this move a lot to be fair.

Gough makes a better impact sub than a starter nowerdays anyway. His game has always revolved around an excellent workrate, and the fact that he's lost some fitness means he can't sustain a full 80mins. So he either starts and goes off after 60mins, or comes on for 20-30mins at the end.

Even at his age, Goughy still gives it 100%, and is a valuable player, starting or not.
Makes you wonder what will happen this fall for Wales, whether Ryan will be captain at 8, SR, or not even captain at all.
Considering Biggar is starting again, this seems like a good old Johnson/Holley move.

According to Holley, it's a case of only making one big change in technical positions instead of two for a big game- Probably the reason we're yet to see Hook at 10 over Biggar. Or maybe that's more to do with complicated bed-time politics from some of the things I've read. Maybe we'll never know.

interesting move having ojo at fullback. It'll be good to see Joseph have a go as well, he's a good prospect.

also, ryan lamb's had a good start to the season. He could be an outsider to get a cap this Autumn if there are injuries. Let's hope he goes well tonight for Irish.

Cracking start by Hook
Good match, both teams looking to run a lot,

Didn't realise that Delon Armitage was missing completely, thought he'd be on the bench or something. Is he injured or just rested?

Referee not a fan of Biggars mouthiness :lol:

Last edited:
Stunning run from Shane, shame it was knocked on when he tried to jump over Ojo.

Agree that Shanes run was pretty special, came from nowhere!
Should've been a penalty to Irish though, the jump was dangerous and illegal.
Elsom almost got carded for doing to same thing last Autumn.

Also, how stupid are Ospreys for not taking another scrum then?! They just mullered the LI scrum several times on the 5m, but then took a kick at goal! There was a penaly try on the cards there

Latest posts