• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys Vs Connacht.

F

feicarsinn

Close enough one in the end. Ended 19-17 to the O's with Gavin Duffy getting sent off in the 69th minute then coming back on and knocking on. Twat.

This is the first game I watched after a week away from Rugby/everything really in Italy including the 6N (thankfully from what I hear) and I have to say Connacht left this one behind them.

Referee as always was shocking as always. Duffy's yellow was a joke for example. Seriously, I lost count of the amount of times Connacht got within 5 metres of the Ospreys line and bottled it, just lacking the one or two classy players that will make them a decent ML side.

Garreth Owen deserves a pat on the back for both the Osprey tries too.

Why isn't Gareth Owen already playing for Wales? Seriously, he just exudes class. I've mentioned many aspects of his game in the past, including the big handoff and good power, but he showed yesterday something I'd slightly missjudged, his searing pace! He needs to be starting week in week out for the Ospreys (at centre preferably), but will he get that chance with the Ospreys? He's got Hook and Bishop ahead of him at centre, Biggar and Hook at 10, and Lee Byrne at fullback.

Just a quick mention to Cronin. Very good game from the hooker. He's got great pace for a front-rower. Very good try.

Gareth Owen needs to move from the Ospreys to be considered for Welsh selection. I totally agree with what Kingsley, Jonathan and co all said on Scrum V. He is a good player and most natural at 15 but to get selected for Wales he would need to move region to get game time.

I'm still not convinced he's a natural fullback, not to say he doesn't have all the atributes to play there. He's sometimes a little dodgy under the high ball, but he does hit the line well. He obviously prefers to play 10, but I can't see him going far in that position with Biggar and Hook ahead of him in the pecking order. I still maintain that he's natuarally a midfield player, probably outside centre with his ability to beat a man on the outside like he showed yesterday.

How about an O's backline of:

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Shane Williams
12 James Hook
13 Gareth Owen
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Lee Byrne

Very harsh on Bishop, who's been awesome this season, but that backline could be one of the best attacking backlines in Europe if Owen was given more gametime to develop.

Or am I deluding myself?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 22 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm still not convinced he's a natural fullback, not to say he doesn't have all the atributes to play there. He's sometimes a little dodgy under the high ball, but he does hit the line well. He obviously prefers to play 10, but I can't see him going far in that position with Biggar and Hook ahead of him in the pecking order. I still maintain that he's natuarally a midfield player, probably outside centre with his ability to beat a man on the outside like he showed yesterday.

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Shane Williams
12 James Hook
13 Gareth Owen
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Lee Byrne

Very harsh on Bishop, who's been awesome this season, but that backline could be one of the best attacking backlines in Europe if Owen was given more gametime to develop.

Or am I deluding myself?[/b]
Sure if Shane moves to Toulon and Bishop out to wing and there uou'll have free 13 slot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 22 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Shane Williams
12 James Hook
13 Gareth Owen
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Lee Byrne

Or am I deluding myself?[/b]
Sure if Shane moves to Toulon and Bishop out to wing and there uou'll have free 13 slot
[/b][/quote]

shane to Toulon ??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: say it aint sooo. thats news. Nothing known up here in the amman valleys ;) ha lol
gutted tho that an individual of Gareth owens potential is not being played. he's shown when the "stars" are away that he has great skills, needs to gain "big game" experience in order to mature and develop. lets hope (for wales') sake that he gets more "big-game" time

Gareth Owen is not a 10. Just watch him whenever he plays there. His distribution is awful and doesn't know when to do what. He's a lot better when he's behind. Put him at Fullback or 13, but I don't want to see him at Outside Half again. He played brilliantly on Sunday, but was unfortunatly the only one.

Latest posts