TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
eddie-o-sullivan_2314264.jpg

Former Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan in one of a long list of candidates to take over as Edinburgh Head Coach next season.

Three-time Triple Crown-winning coach O'Sullivan is currently in charge of the US Eagles but his contract runs out after the World Cup and is widely believed to be keen to return to Europe.

O'Sullivan is scheduled to be interviewed when he returns from the US over Easter but he faces stiff competition from a number of candidates.

Amongst them are three Australians: Former Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher, who will leave Munster at the end of the season, former Munster Head Coach and current Ireland backs coach Alan Gaffney and Nick Scrivener, who has taken over at the Edinburgh helm on an interim basis after Rob Moffat was axed at the end of January.

Edinburgh's results under Scrivener have however not been great and he has been linked with a move back to the Brumbies and with a job in the Wallabies staff.

Former Wasps Director of Rugby Tony Hanks and Scotland U21 coach Peter Wright are also in the running.

Moffat was officially shown the door on the basis of his poor results but rumours have since emerged that his departure had more to do with a breakdown in the relationship with the SRU after he denied requests from the national team management group regarding access to players on several occasions.

http://www.planet-rugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_6839910,00.html

Gaffney or Eddie look the best choices really. Don't think Much of Fischer...

Acually, I'd say Eddie is the best choice by far.

Can't see past O' Sullivan, all we (well I suppose Scots) can hope for is that the man best fit for the job is chosen, which may not neccesarily be the best coach...

List is pretty tasty. Must be something special happening at Edinburgh ....

haha that's disgusting. EOS has done **** all for the Us, he doesn't even live over there and he's already leaving ship. AND, he's a **** coach...

haha that's disgusting. EOS has done **** all for the Us, he doesn't even live over there and he's already leaving ship. AND, he's a **** coach...
In the guys defense, what is he meant to do with them? and how do you measure his achievement? I'd say his role is a lot more then just coaching the international team.

I'm not sure where he lives, not sure if its important, but he is seeing out his contract with them. Regardless of what happens he will take the States to the WC and finish with them there.

Bullshit Eddie is away from wife and kids living in US for months at a time. Has done alot of good work with limited resouces and is a fine coach. He had a hiccup at end of his time with Ireland but did a super job before that.

Also he isn't leaving the US as he agreed before taking job he'd only be staying until World Cup and well he's a family guy so can't blame him as it's hard LIVING away in the states the majority of time.

Technically EOS is one of the shrewdest coaches around. He does have blind spots however, big ones. I don't think the squad will be rotated much once he settles on his best 15 and he also likes to dictate things. As I said though he is a top quality coach and will get Edinburgh playing better. He's also a workaholic and ambitious and would put 100% into the job.

To be fair I think EOS has learnt from Irish experience and become a better coach and will rotate if possible and timing is right.

Bullshit Eddie is away from wife and kids living in US for months at a time. Has done alot of good work with limited resouces and is a fine coach. He had a hiccup at end of his time with Ireland but did a super job before that.

Also he isn't leaving the US as he agreed before taking job he'd only be staying until World Cup and well he's a family guy so can't blame him as it's hard LIVING away in the states the majority of time.

This guy disagrees

http://www.gainline.us/gainline/2011/03/7s-reclaiming-place-in-american-calendar.html#comments

[textarea]How about the part where the article says EOS is based in the U.S.

Eddie doesn't spend a third of the year in the U.S.

He doesn't even have a rental flat. He is a hotel visitor whenever in America. He has every right to interview for this job. He has no loyalty to U.S. rugby. If the Scot job demanded he sign-up before the RWC he would leave the Eagles in a second.

This is no different than Kevin Roberts blogging on crafting a strategy for New Zealand, when he hasn't done the same for U.S. rugby while Chairman.

While we are discussing our ineffective foreign leadership, we should also agree Nigel Melville will depart U.S. rugby at his first offer.

What could get in the way of EOS and Nigel leaving U.S. rugby is they aren't that well thought of in professional rugby circles. They're both highly political operators and have failed in professional rugby.

It is a shame it has all come to this. Two employees making a combined $500,000 per year, while posting the worse record ever. They will leave without having accomplished anything. U.S. rugby will need to start over like they were both never hired. Throw in a Scott Johnson "we don't put our hand over our heart" disaster, along with with a winless Peter Thorburn RWC 2007 and the picture of Kevin Roberts' and Nigel Melville's leadership is clear.

What they had going for them is what no other USAR administration has ever had, many millions of IRB grant dollars. Even with this leg-up money they have failed dramatically.

Little sponsorship, few victories, short sighted decisions, dismantling domestic representative rugby, higher dues for less services, overall poorer international reputation.

Hang in there boys and girls it will all be over soon. They will all be gone within days, weeks of RWC 2011. We should only remember to include the whole of the USAR Board and Congress in this failure of leadership.

[/textarea]

He and Kevin Roberts got millions from the IRB and did nothing with it. USA Rugby is a mess, they didn't even disclose the budget to the board...IT's a good thing nobody cares about what happens in the US because he woulnd't find a job anywhere after that...

Last edited:
Well I know some people who know Eddie well and can say he does have an apartment in San Francisco. Who pays for it I don't know. Also Eddie can't be interviewed for Edinburgh job until Easter as that is his next time home and that I know is a fact because I'm attending a course where Eddie speaks from his experience as a PE teacher so Charles that article is slightly fictional. As for missing budget etc I don't know about that.

And Snoop we can't afford to loose Gaffney from Irish set up :p

Edinburgh want to play an open flowing game and therefore hiring old man Gaffney would be stupid. Eddie has the highest experience and he is very successful. He could very easily bring out the talent in the Edinburgh players and he can develop a very well balanced game. He would be my choice.

EOS very succesful? Sorry to be obnoxious but I don't get it. What's his record with Ireland, except from the disastrous 2007 RWC? I remember when everyone wanted him out here...

He won plenty of Triple Crowns and built the big foundations that Kidney inherited. I think the World Cup is his only real disastrous period and the 6nations after. So Charles look in to his record before putting him down as he has achievements

He failed to get the best out of the Ireland teams he coached. Multiple championships were blown but it's okay because we picked up the devalued currency that is the triple crown a few times. I don't rate O'Sullivan.

Latest posts