• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Sullivan linked with US return

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

Former Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has emerged as a possible successor to Scott Johnson as coach of the USA team.

Australian Johnson, formerly caretaker Wales boss, is leaving the Americans at the end of the season to take over at Welsh club Ospreys.

O'Sullivan was in charge of the US Eagles before becoming Ireland's assistant coach in 1999. He won three Triple Crowns as Irish boss and has recently made two coaching trips to the United States.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7862583.stm

It would be a good appointment in my opinion. O'Sullivan know the US system already and has a solid coaching pedigree. Given the fact that he doesn't seem to be considered for any major European coaching gig, the US job may prove the next best option. With Mark McCall and Jeremy Davidson losing their jobs with Castres at the end of the season, he'd have a pair of possible assistant coaches who he knows and rates highly to take with him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought that Johnson had already walked out on the Eagles.[/b]
He's handed in his notice of 3 months. The Eagles will probably have a new coach in place for the Ireland test (are they playing Wales too?) and the Churchill Cup.

No he recently handed in his 3 month notice. I would prefer to see Eddie go to Leicester or the Ospreys to be honest :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Scott Johnson saga looks to finally be at an end with news that Ireland’s Eddie O’Sullivan has been offered the job as head coach of the US Eagles. The news of the former Irish coach being offered the job was first broken on ARN’s podcast Rugbytalk.

It’s understood that O’Sullivan has signed on the dotted line after he and his agent John Baker agreed to the terms set out by USA Rugby CEO Nigel Melville.[/b]

http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/pu...ch_Eagles.shtml

It looks like EOS to the Eagles is all but confirmed.

Finally a quote to back up the story:

EDDIE O’SULLIVAN, US coach in waiting, will be keenly aware of the May 30th date when Ireland travel to America, to a venue yet to be confirmed, to face their former coach. It is generally considered a development tour, as the Lions will be in South Africa, and it also includes a Test match against Canada on May 23rd. O’Sullivan’s agent John Baker was still waiting on confirmation of the appointment from US Eagles chief executive Nigel Melville yesterday, but he did confirm terms had been agreed for a two and a half year contract to take O’Sullivan up to the 2011 World Cup, presuming they qualify.

The head coach role would require O’Sullivan to live in the US with San Diego the likely base, although the Eagles do spread their training camps.

“Eddie would definitely take the job,†said Baker yesterday from Rome en route to the match. “I had a discussion with Nigel Melville when we agreed terms, but it is subject to ratification by their board of directors.â€[/b]

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...3867938780.html

http://www.usarugby.org/

BOULDER, Colo. â€" USA Rugby officially announced that Eddie O'Sullivan has signed on to coach the U.S. Men's National Team through the next Rugby World Cup in 2011."We are obviously delighted to announce Eddie as the new Eagles coach," USA Rugby CEO and President of Operations Nigel Melville said. "He is knowledgeable about the American game and has an outstanding track record as an international coach. Eddie has worked with the world's top players and will bring enormous enthusiasm to the role."

O'Sullivan, an Irish-born high speed utility back, played club rugby with Garryowen F.C., and also represented the province of Munster and Ireland A. Along with working as a development officer with the Irish Rugby Football Union in the late '80s, he has coached at all levels of the game, including Age-Grade (Schools & Youths), Senior Club (Blackrock College R.F.C. & Buccaneers R.F.C.), Provincial (Connacht) and International levels.

After coaching the Irish Under-21 Team to their first ever Triple Crown in '97, O'Sullivan joined USA Rugby as Assistant Coach to the Eagles (Forwards Coach) and Assistant National Technical Director. In 1998, he took over as National Technical Director while still retaining his position on the Eagles Coaching Staff.

During his time at USA Rugby he was instrumental in developing the USA Rugby Coaching Accreditation Program. On completing his duties with the Eagles during the '99 Rugby World Cup he returned to Ireland to take up the position of Assistant Coach with the Irish National Team and has been with Ireland ever since, eventually filling the role of head coach in 2001.

Since taking charge of Ireland's National Rugby Team in November 2001, O'Sullivan has dramatically changed their style and has become one of their most successful coaches with a win/loss ratio of 50-28 (.64). Respected as one of the most professionally thorough and innovative coaches in rugby, he made history by leading Ireland to three Triple Crown victories in the last four years and oversaw the defeat of every major power in the game, with the exception of the New Zealand All Blacks.

One of the game's great strategists, it is under O'Sullivan's guidance that several of the most influential young players in the game have emerged, which has done much to spread the appeal and popularity to a wider audience of rugby in Ireland.

"I am delighted to accept the invitation to coach the U.S. Eagles. It is an exciting challenge, which comes at a crucial period when I share their ambitions to qualify for Rugby World Cup 2011," O'Sullivan said.

"In re-joining USA Rugby I am going back to my coaching roots as it were and while I am delighted that much progress has been made since my last involvement, I am driven now by a determination that I share with the Eagles to demonstrate that USA Rugby has the resolve to establish its identity amongst the leading Nations in the game."

USA RUGBY, founded in 1975, is the national governing body for rugby and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB). The organization is responsible for the development of boys, girls, high school, collegiate and club athletic programs, and ultimately, all of the national teams representing the United States in international competition. For more information on the U.S. Men's National Team, please visit www.usarugby.org.[/b]

Would I be right in saying O'Sullivan's first game in charge will be against Ireland in May?

"We are obviously delighted to announce Eddie as the new Eagles coach..."
- USA Rugby chief executive Nigel Melville

Apparently the US is getting evermore serious about the rugby. Read the article here:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/0305/osullivane.html
It will be interesting to see what developments will be made. He's still got the same players, is the problem. We now have more professional players on our team than ever, but still, our National Team is only a reflection of our domestic game.

Congrats, EOS, it's nice to see you back, and you're welcome to come to my club anytime...we'll even let you buy us drinks!

There's a good interview with Eddie O'Sullivan where he talks about the Eagles job here:
http://www.americanrugbynews.com/podcast_p...Podcast_77.html

What is most interesting is that he talks up 7s rugby and the need to create strong lines of communication with the Super League coaches. When EOS was in charge of Ireland, the 7s program was abandoned and a major criticism of him was his lack of communication with the provincial coaches. Perhaps his year out of the game has allowed him take stock and reassess his rugby philosophy and past failings. If that's the case, more power to him. I hope he's successful in his new role.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 6 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's a good interview with Eddie O'Sullivan where he talks about the Eagles job here:
http://www.americanrugbynews.com/podcast_p...Podcast_77.html

What is most interesting is that he talks up 7s rugby and the need to create strong lines of communication with the Super League coaches. When EOS was in charge of Ireland, the 7s program was abandoned and a major criticism of him was his lack of communication with the provincial coaches. Perhaps his year out of the game has allowed him take stock and reassess his rugby philosophy and past failings. If that's the case, more power to him. I hope he's successful in his new role.[/b]

yeah listen to that yesterday great interview and i was happen that he actually went on with them since their the only USA Rugby News site.

Latest posts