Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
Harbour Team

Codey Rei, David Raikuna, Rudi Wulf, Brendon Watt, Nafi Tuitavake, Ben Botica, Chris Smylie, Mat Luamanu, Brent Wilson, Solomon King, James King, Chris Smith, Ben Afeaki, James Parsons, Michael Reid.

Reserves: Michael Mayhew, Taione Vea, James Afoa, Irwin Finau, Scott Uren, Luke Hamilton, Willie Walker, Ken Pisi.

pretty strong team, a couple of former Dunedinites in the form of Willie Walker and Chris Smylie

Dont think our team has been released, we'ed had a good pre season and am very interested to see what our "Top Team" will be...at least in the eyes of Mooney

Harbour Team

Codey Rei, David Raikuna, Rudi Wulf, Brendon Watt, Nafi Tuitavake, Ben Botica, Chris Smylie, Mat Luamanu, Brent Wilson, Solomon King, James King, Chris Smith, Ben Afeaki, James Parsons, Michael Reid.

Reserves: Michael Mayhew, Taione Vea, James Afoa, Irwin Finau, Scott Uren, Luke Hamilton, Willie Walker, Ken Pisi.

pretty strong team, a couple of former Dunedinites in the form of Willie Walker and Chris Smylie

Dont think our team has been released, we'ed had a good pre season and am very interested to see what our "Top Team" will be...at least in the eyes of Mooney

Quite a good looking North Harbour team; great to see the likes of Rudi Wulf, Brent Wilson, Chris Smith, and Willie Walker coming back to NZ rugby. It will be really interesting to see how Otago goes this season - we certainly can't do any worse than last year... The Otago team will almost be unrecognisable from last years team though - literally over half of this years squad have never played for Otago! The squad does look better than in previous years, though the loss of Thomson and Ben Smith (assuming they are away with the AB's) is huge, as they were in a different class to all the other Otago players last year. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how some of out younger players such as Coltman, Franklin, Evans, Parker, Fenner, and Galo go this year, and I'm sure recruits like McGoughan, Ramsey, Brown, Atiga will add plenty of expereince to the team.

are you in dunners Darwin? I keep hearing about the Dunedin fullback Liam Edwards (i think thats his name) tearings up the club comp but not heard any news at a higher level, do you know if hes too youg (up and coming) too old (not worth investing in) or something?

edit - never mind, a quick google search has revealed he is a good old former OBHS boy now playing for Dunedin...like myself and so still very young, hopefully someone for the future...unlike myself!

Last edited:
are you in dunners Darwin? I keep hearing about the Dunedin fullback Liam Edwards (i think thats his name) tearings up the club comp but not heard any news at a higher level, do you know if hes too youg (up and coming) too old (not worth investing in) or something?

edit - never mind, a quick google search has revealed he is a good old former OBHS boy now playing for Dunedin...like myself and so still very young, hopefully someone for the future...unlike myself!

Yep I'm in good old Dunners. I've heard a lot of good things about Liam Edwards too, last time I looked he was the leading try scorer in the the club competition, and apparently is a pretty handy goal-kicker too. He's got a couple of good players ahead of him in terms of the Otago squad (Ben Smith, Buxton Popoali'i, Glenn Dickson, and Tony Fenner are all fullback options), but I see he has been named in the Otago wider training squad so isn't too far away. He was still playing for OB's last year; I'd assume he is still only around 19, so he certainly looks to be a player for the future.

but I see he has been named in the Otago wider training squad so isn't too far away.

sweet, hadn't seen that

He wasn't in the NZ U20's was he, hopefully nothing against his ability, just a different path ;)

is buxton a fullback option?

Last edited:
sweet, hadn't seen that

He wasn't in the NZ U20's was he, hopefully nothing against his ability, just a different path ;)

is buxton a fullback option?

I'm not exactly sure how old Liam Edwards is; he could potentially be available for the under 20's next year... As you say missing out on the Under 20's isn't really that bad in any case, many quality players didn't even make the under 20 team (Tim Nanai-Williams immediately comes to mind). Indeed there are two players in the current Otago squad that missed out on the under 20's this year (Gareth Evans, Hanipale Galo). I'd expect Galo may make a big impact in the ITM Cup this year too - he's a 1.91m, 106kg centre with plenty of speed...

Buxtons best position is fullback, but I suspect we will see him playing mainly on the wing (along with Joe Hill) as Otago doesn't have a huge number of options on the wing, but plenty of options at fullback (we may see Galo play a bit on the wing too).

What are people's views on McAlister's no-show for training?

Otago: Glenn Dickson, Joe Hill, Ben Atiga, Sam Giddens, Buxton Popoali'i, Tony Brown, Sean Romans, Gareth Evans, Eben Joubert (captain), Regan Tamihere, Tom Donnelly, Daniel Ramsay, Kees Meeuws, Jason Macdonald, Halani Aulika.
Reserves: Liam Coltman, James McGougan, Scott Manson, Rob Verbakel, TJ Ioane, Johnny Legg, Jayden Spence, Matt Faddes.

some good names, could be a very interesting game, funny you should have suggested Dickson at fullback Darwin (i didn't think i had ever seen him at fullback) as here he is named there

as for McAlister, i think is just confrmed the "vibe" he always gave off to me that he was pretty unprofessional.

What are people's views on McAlister's no-show for training?

McAlister has just thrown his toys because he didn't make the AB's squad - it doesn't surprise me at all.

Otago: Glenn Dickson, Joe Hill, Ben Atiga, Sam Giddens, Buxton Popoali'i, Tony Brown, Sean Romans, Gareth Evans, Eben Joubert (captain), Regan Tamihere, Tom Donnelly, Daniel Ramsay, Kees Meeuws, Jason Macdonald, Halani Aulika.
Reserves: Liam Coltman, James McGougan, Scott Manson, Rob Verbakel, TJ Ioane, Johnny Legg, Jayden Spence, Matt Faddes.

some good names, could be a very interesting game, funny you should have suggested Dickson at fullback Darwin (i didn't think i had ever seen him at fullback) as here he is named there

as for McAlister, i think is just confrmed the "vibe" he always gave off to me that he was pretty unprofessional.

I think Dickson plays his best rugby at fullback; I expect he will be the first choice fullback while Ben Smith is away with the AB's.

Not a bad Otago team. Probably their first choice backline apart from Ben Smith who is with the AB's. Plenty of experience in the tight-forwards, but a very inexperienced loose-forward trio. I'm expecting due to the conditions it will be a low scoring encounter - it's been freezing in Dunedin over the last few days (we got a bit of snow yesterday too). Tomorrows forecast is for sleety showers and snow, and I'd imagine by 7.30pm the temperature won't be much above 0 degrees. Because of this it will likely be a forward battle, and I think the slight advantge Otago has in the tight-forwards may give them the edge. Overall I'm picking Otago to win by about 5 points.

a very inexperienced loose-forward trio.

which is unusual for us, historically (at least since ive been following otago) we have impressive/experienced loosies, you look at the list of names from the early ninties onwards and its pretty impressive

i guess we havent has as big a change as we just have for a long time

which is unusual for us, historically (at least since ive been following otago) we have impressive/experienced loosies, you look at the list of names from the early ninties onwards and its pretty impressive

i guess we havent has as big a change as we just have for a long time

Yeah it is strange for us to have inexperienced loosies (I too remember 90's with the likes of Pene, Joseph, Kronfeld, Randell etc..). Eben Joubert is a good player, but has had really bad luck with injuries over the last two years - if he can have a strong season for Otago I could see him forcing his way into the Highlanders squad next year (as there is room for another 7 with Soakai gone). Gareth Evans is certainly the one to watch though. He's been the standout loose-forward in club rugby; he runs strongly, is great at the breakdown, and also a good lineout option. There was a lot of disappointment down here that he didn't make the NZ Under 20's team this year. It's great to see the coach has shown faith in him and picked him over the more experienced Paul Grant at Number 8 for this opening game.

whats Evans background, local boy?

Gareth Evans comes from Hawkes' Bay (as many good Otago players do ;) ) - he came down to Dunedin last year (I'm assuming to go to Otago Uni). Apparently he is the younger brother of Bryn Evans.

With Phil Mooney as coach, how can Otago go wrong?

Interesting start to the season. Otago could definitely go quite well this year based on that performance. Defence looked strong despite slacking off at times (and paying for it). Epic game form joubert as well!

was a great game to watch! forget any comments made about inexperienced loosies for us, Eben and Evans tore it up last night and coltman came on after two mins and played like an old pro!

i have to say it too....tony did eventhing last night you would want from a replacement first five coming on with fifteen mins left in the world cup final

Great start of the season for Otago with a 46-29 win. The conditions weren't ideal, but the weather certainly wasn't as bad as forecast (in terms of rain/sleet/snow, I can assure you it was bloody cold sitting in the stands!). Otago dominated up front, with Meeuws, Aulika and Tom Donnelly all having strong games. Joubert had a fantastic game in the loose; his support play was particularity impressive. Evans had a good debut, while TJ Ioane certainly made an impact too when he came on - he has great pace for a flanker. It was great to Tony Brown have a strong game, and Atiga looked pretty good (though he got easily beaten by Wulf on one occasion).

Wulf was one of the few standouts for North Harbour, while Luamanu looked as powerful as ever with the ball in hand.

good game to watch. Brown was pretty important but really off the back of the platform set by the forwards.

Was impressed by the Otago 8 looks very fit and fast with quiet good technique.

One very obvious difference was the fittness levels between the two sides.

For Harbour I was impressed with Wulf. He does look a bit below the normally high level of fittness which saw he a stat topper when he was with the All Blacks but he was still all class. and that one chance he had a bit of space he ran one in and made it look very easy.

Great game to watch considering the sodding cold and wet ground.

Latest posts