• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Owen Farrell - tough but fair or willfully dangerous tackling 'technique'?

Contrary to popular belief, high tackles are not the leading cause of concussion or even close. Most players who are knocked out are when they are the ones who messed up their tackle and get a knee / pelvis into the head. The lower part of your body is a hell of a lot more powerful than the upper part and can give someone's head a much bigger whack that a high tackle can.

Ironically, in forcing players to consistently go lower, they might actually be putting players in more harm. Tackling around the chest is actually safer.
Trouble is they don't know what causes the most damage. Apparently they think repeated sub-concussive blows to the head is what causes CTE. Like offensive and defensive linesmen bumping heads every play.

Trouble is they don't know what causes the most damage. Apparently they think repeated sub-concussive blows to the head is what causes CTE. Like offensive and defensive linesmen bumping heads every play.
Someone posted a study that appears to contradict what I said and I can't find where I read it, so may have to say I was incorrect there. It feels almost like boxing in that dehydration was a major factor in the likelihood of concussion, compounding the actual hits to the head. I can certainly believe that repeatedly having your head rattled about cannot be good. English prem players who also play internationally have the most hours of any players in the world and by a fair distance at times. This must be having a big impact, especially when you have a coach like Jones who uses the short time with England to absolutely beast them. It cannot be doing their bodies any good. We really need rules on maximum game time to be tightened up. I don't think any other contact sport has as many hours played per year as rugby.

Someone posted a study that appears to contradict what I said and I can't find where I read it, so may have to say I was incorrect there. It feels almost like boxing in that dehydration was a major factor in the likelihood of concussion, compounding the actual hits to the head. I can certainly believe that repeatedly having your head rattled about cannot be good. English prem players who also play internationally have the most hours of any players in the world and by a fair distance at times. This must be having a big impact, especially when you have a coach like Jones who uses the short time with England to absolutely beast them. It cannot be doing their bodies any good. We really need rules on maximum game time to be tightened up. I don't think any other contact sport has as many hours played per year as rugby.
I think Football is technically considered contact but yeah get your point.

Latest posts