• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pacific Nations Cup

Feels like the Eagles are missing lots of opportunities in this match...

Can anyone tell if there are actually any fans in attendance? The high school football-style coverage only shows the mostly empty concrete risers... Suva was JUMPING for Super Rugby, are the USA that much of a turn off?

I wouldn't really expect Fijians to show up for a USA Samoa game.

not happy with that performance

twice in a row we need a kick at the end to beat samoa

Interesting. I had no idea games at test level were ever postponed or cancelled. Or provincial level for that matter. We don't get very wild conditions in New Zealand though, a snowy game is a rare but savoured beauty. How often do provincial games get called off or postponed in the UK?
A Sale vs Wasps game got called off a number of years ago,
The officials, and Sale, signed off on the pitch but the wasps captain refused to play. Sale were still going through their warmups (and the crowd was in the stands) when they were told the game was off, and Wasps were already back on the team bus eating pizza - which is why there known as the pizzaboys in Manchester.

A Sale vs Wasps game got called off a number of years ago,
The officials, and Sale, signed off on the pitch but the wasps captain refused to play. Sale were still going through their warmups (and the crowd was in the stands) when they were told the game was off, and Wasps were already back on the team bus eating pizza - which is why there known as the pizzaboys in Manchester.
Haha, that's classic stuff there. what a great insult.

Have a feeling Japan's really gonna hand it to us.

We really need to figure out our offense. We are way to flat and never hit the line at pace. AJ scored all of our points and almost had a real nice kick assist if the in goal would have been a little longer.

We badly need someone else to step us. Hopefully we play our first XV next week.

Have a feeling Japan's really gonna hand it to us.

We really need to figure out our offense. We are way to flat and never hit the line at pace. AJ scored all of our points and almost had a real nice kick assist if the in goal would have been a little longer.

We badly need someone else to step us. Hopefully we play our first XV next week.
Have you not been playing your top 15 so far? Or are you just concerned players will be rested? It's been a while since I've watched a USA game where they had all their players availableA, are they all professional these days? If so who is paying their wages, ie where do they play? The ones in Europe, Are most of them playing in division one teams?
Feels like the Eagles are missing lots of opportunities in this match...

Can anyone tell if there are actually any fans in attendance? The high school football-style coverage only shows the mostly empty concrete risers... Suva was JUMPING for Super Rugby, are the USA that much of a turn off?
it was probably the ticket price. Last time they had a super rugby game in Samoa the tickets cost something rediculous like the average fortnightly wage. At those prices they probably get more money selling 100 seats than they would if they lowered the prices enough to fill the stadium. Oh, and practically nobody showed up to the super rugby game either.

We only have one player on the team who doesn't get paid to play rugby and that's James Hilterbrand who plays in the Shute shield. I don't think it's very likely that he'll make the 23 in any of our important world cup games. Most of the team plays in Major League Rugby which is a private league with a few USA 7s guys there. We have a fair amount of players in the English championship. Some others that play in pro 14 and Mitre 10. 4 players in the english premiership and one in top 14.

We were probably at 80% top 15 but we haven't played our best front row players yet. We will be starting an all top division front row (Saracens, Worcester, and Toulouse) in our best matches but we have been trying to figure out our 16,17,18 so reserves have gotten all the playing time so far.

We only have one player on the team who doesn't get paid to play rugby and that's James Hilterbrand who plays in the Shute shield. I don't think it's very likely that he'll make the 23 in any of our important world cup games. Most of the team plays in Major League Rugby which is a private league with a few USA 7s guys there. We have a fair amount of players in the English championship. Some others that play in pro 14 and Mitre 10. 4 players in the english premiership and one in top 14.

We were probably at 80% top 15 but we haven't played our best front row players yet. We will be starting an all top division front row (Saracens, Worcester, and Toulouse) in our best matches but we have been trying to figure out our 16,17,18 so reserves have gotten all the playing time so far.

I like that first team front row. Also a big fan of AJ at 10. You should get at least one win at the World Cup and maybe two if France don't turn up. USA are improving and MLR is a factor behind it. I'm Looking forward to watch you guys at the World Cup.

My takeaway thoughts from the Fiji v Canada match:

1. Proud of the Canadian side. They showed a ton of courage and absolutely no fear, which in itself is something I never could have done. It looked like men vs. boys out there, but they never looked scared.
2. Number of American flags for the prior match? Zero as far as I could see. Canadian flags vs. Fiji? I mean, not a lot, but a noticeable number. Again, good on you, Canada.
3. Does Fiji seem... lazy? They came out with the attitude of, "Hey, we're bigger and stronger and faster than you, so we're gonna win," but that doesn't necessarily translate to set piece success or clean, error-free play... it just looked like it should have been a bigger rout than it was
4. Canada can NOT get a maul or a scrum together. If I was a Canadian fan, that'd be my biggest worry
5. Maybe most controversial, is Canada doomed by proximity to another tier 2 nation? Won't Canada always be 'USA Junior,' given the populations and monetary investment possibilities? If you're in charge of the national team in Canada, what is your realistic goal for the next few World Cups?

This match between the USA and Japan looks to be a real challenge... Although, I hear some speculation we might keep experimenting rather than necessarily going all-in for a win? I always find it hard to credit the idea of professional athletes deciding not to give it their all, it seems like it should just be ingrained when you get to that level. But, the rumour I hear is, we will get a better idea of what we can do with our set pieces in preparation for the RWC if we don't kick for points when they're on offer - we already know how our kicking game is, so getting all those extra line-outs will best serve us long term, even if it means leaving points on the field for this match. Again, I find this hard to believe, but I see the cold logic in it, I guess.

Latest posts