• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pacific Origin Tournament

kbourke88

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Waratahs
Now I would start this post with a pre-cursor: Completely hypothetical given the already packed scheduling... BUT

What if there was a state of origin style Pacific Origin tournament each year where players, regardless of their international alignment were selected for Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, NZ Maori, NZ and Australia based on their heritage for a non-test tournament every year. There are many times I've heard in the rugby communities whinging about this Fijian, that Samoan, this Tongan guy running out for NZ or Aust when imagine how good their national team would e if they played in that. Obviously as a professional, they would be dead dumb to play for their country of origin if they could make 100x more playing somewhere else, or would just get to represent the best teams in the world instead of their second tier nation. But all that aside, imagine how much a pacific origin game would kill it!

I would be interested to hear from you guys what your lineups would be - mine will follow soon, just have to do a few final background checks to make sure i dont offend anyone by putting them in the wrong team! Feel free to include any players in the Northern Hemisphere, given that this is completely hypothetical anyways...

I just reckon it would have all the things you would want to see in a rugby tournament, tribal following, brutal physicality, fast pace.

Since when are Australia part of the Polynecian Islands? If they were born in Fiji then he is from Fiji. Do not see where this is going since everyone play for the AB are New Zealanders. They are Polynecians. Then you are either A Samoan, or from Fiji, Tonga or NZ but they are still known as the Polynecian Islands combined.

Last edited:
All Samoan Born XV

1. Na'ama Leleimalefaga
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Taiasina Tui'fua
5. Joe Tekori
6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Steve So'oialo
10. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapusua
13. Casey Laulala
14. Isaia Toeava
15. Mils Muliaina

That back row is immense.

Since when are Australia part of the Polynecian Islands? If they were born in Fiji then he is from Fiji. Do not see where this is going since everyone play for the AB are New Zealanders. They are Polynecians. Then you are either A Samoan, or from Fiji, Tonga or NZ but they are still known as the Polynecian Islands combined.

The OP never mentions "Polynecian" (i assume you mean Polynesian?), he says Pacific Origin and at least the east coast of Aussie is in the Pacific Region so lets just calm down at have a bit of fun with it :rolleyes:

All Samoan Born XV

1. Na'ama Leleimalefaga
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Taiasina Tui'fua
5. Joe Tekori
6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Steve So'oialo
10. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapusua
13. Casey Laulala
14. Isaia Toeava
15. Mils Muliaina

That back row is immense.

thats a pretty good back line too!

you woulnd't go with Kahn Fotuali'i at 9?

Wow, I think we will find it hard to field a NZ Maori and a NZ team... Think we might have to stick with Maori's. Imagine what the All Blacks would be like without the polynesians.... Be very Crusader orientated I'd say.

The OP never mentions "Polynecian" (i assume you mean Polynesian?), he says Pacific Origin and at least the east coast of Aussie is in the Pacific Region so lets just calm down at have a bit of fun with it :rolleyes:thats a pretty good back line too!you woulnd't go with Kahn Fotuali'i at 9?
lol I am calm. Just saying Australia do not belong there just like France don't belong in the Lions. I see you got my mate there at 10. He loves it more in the centre. But teams should not be compiled due to a certain heritage but due to a thing they have in common. NZ itself is still a Island. Like Great Brittain and Ireland those Islands fall under the same group.

Wow, I think we will find it hard to field a NZ Maori and a NZ team... Think we might have to stick with Maori's. Imagine what the All Blacks would be like without the polynesians.... Be very Crusader orientated I'd say.

Sorry my friend but New Zealand are part of Polynecia. How will the Australian team look like without Australians?

Last edited:
Sorry my friend but New Zealand are part of Polynecia. How will the Australian team look like without Australians?

Sorry my friend I should have made it more clear.
It would be better to only include the NZ Maori because the teams are pretty much made depending on their representative polynesian decent. Tongans play for Tonga, Fijians for Fiji, Samoans for Samoa and Maori for NZ Maori[or you could call it new zealand if you wanted] Not only that, but it would be unfair for NZ to have two squads in the tournament.

This would be very interesting to play though, and I might even make this tournament on Rugby Challenge

haha - ya, I didnt think of the controversy, although I'm not too familiar on exclusion by race in NZ and the implications of that, in Australia it would get pretty controversial.

I just re-read my post, and I meant to also add an Australian aboriginal team. But if we are excluding 'European' descent Australian and NZ teams, and going purely with pacific indigenous teams, then the comp would consist of these teams:

Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
NZ Maori
Aust Indigenous
PNG

I think with current professional players, the Aust Indigenous and PNG teams would be very hard to fill, just giving Kurtley Beale and Will Genia their due respect. :)

I would also like to note that I would think that eligibility rules for these team would not require to be born in the country, but just to recognise the heritage...

That Samoan team is awesome by the way

Last edited:

that was kind of the point of adding the 'european descent' teams for OZ and NZ... just to see how key you think all those islanders are

The OP never mentions "Polynecian" (i assume you mean Polynesian?), he says Pacific Origin and at least the east coast of Aussie is in the Pacific Region so lets just calm down at have a bit of fun with it :rolleyes:

thats a pretty good back line too!

you woulnd't go with Kahn Fotuali'i at 9?

Born in NZ isn't he?

**Edit: I see now the OP was going for heritage. So pretty much the only guys for NZ would would be with maori heritage (all the others would be either european or other pacific island heritage). NZ would still have a good team (depending on how much maori blood would be needed to qualify).

You could then make a combined 'euro heritage' team from all the different countries too, these guys would come from Aus and NZ mainly you would imagine.

So: Maori, Tongan, Samoan, Fijian and European origin teams from Aus, NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji. That would be pretty sweet.

No disrespect to PNG but they're more a league country aren't they? Can't imagine they'd be very competitive.

Last edited:
lol I am calm. Just saying Australia do not belong there just like France don't belong in the Lions. I see you got my mate there at 10. He loves it more in the centre. But teams should not be compiled due to a certain heritage but due to a thing they have in common. NZ itself is still a Island. Like Great Brittain and Ireland those Islands fall under the same group.

my point was you're the only one mentioning polynesia, you cant come into a thread someone else has started with an idea and try and change it. He is talking about pacific nations...and Australia is in the pacific

This would be very interesting to see, Rokocoko, Samo and Sivivatu suiting up for Fiji, Nonu, Mealamu, Kaino, Savea for Samoa, Tameifuna, Faingaa Twins, Gerrard for Tonga, Robbie Robinson, Andre Taylor, Paul ***o and Christian Cullen for Maori[ :p ]

Sorry my friend I should have made it more clear. It would be better to only include the NZ Maori because the teams are pretty much made depending on their representative polynesian decent. Tongans play for Tonga, Fijians for Fiji, Samoans for Samoa and Maori for NZ Maori[or you could call it new zealand if you wanted] Not only that, but it would be unfair for NZ to have two squads in the tournament. This would be very interesting to play though, and I might even make this tournament on Rugby Challenge
Just name it a Polynecia XV That will include all the Islands even NZ. But rather making such teams why not create Tier XV? Like Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, USA, Uruguay, Russia maybe Italy as well and Canada into a team.

Just name it a Polynecia XV That will include all the Islands even NZ. But rather making such teams why not create Tier XV? Like Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, USA, Uruguay, Russia maybe Italy as well and Canada into a team.
\

IT'S POLYNESIA!!! Been driving me freaking crazy. Bloody South Avrikan.

Not a fan of the idea to be honest. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pacific Islanders team brought back in and to allow others to play for them, but wouldn't be a fan a PI Origins, especially when heritage is brought in.

\IT'S POLYNESIA!!! Been driving me freaking crazy. Bloody South Avrikan.Not a fan of the idea to be honest. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pacific Islanders team brought back in and to allow others to play for them, but wouldn't be a fan a PI Origins, especially when heritage is brought in.
Not me. Bloody T9 being a cock again. The Islander team was a good idea but the logistics and the finances was the problem. Who are going to pay their salaries. Most of them apply their trade in Europe and releasing them would be a problem or if the IRB force the hand who is going to sign them. Although they have the pride and passion to run out for their country they still have families to feed and a combine team would take a back step to playing for the clubs and getting payed according to their contracts.

This would be very interesting to see, Rokocoko, Samo and Sivivatu suiting up for Fiji, Nonu, Mealamu, Kaino, Savea for Samoa, Tameifuna, Faingaa Twins, Gerrard for Tonga, Robbie Robinson, Andre Taylor, Paul ***o and Christian Cullen for Maori[ :p ]

this is why i would have been interested to see guys like roko who have finished with the AB's being able to play for fiji (maybe only at sevens level - olympics). you would end up with teams like the OP was looking for

he's not talking about a lions type idea, he's talking about several State of O like teams to play each other, not one big one to play traditional teams :rolleyes:

maybe you should make your own thread with your ideas

\

IT'S POLYNESIA!!! Been driving me freaking crazy.

THIS

this is why i would have been interested to see guys like roko who have finished with the AB's being able to play for fiji (maybe only at sevens level - olympics). you would end up with teams like the OP was looking forhe's not talking about a lions type idea, he's talking about several State of O like teams to play each other, not one big one to play traditional teams :rolleyes:maybe you should make your own thread with your ideasTHIS
So create a league with players only from the Islands playing in it? That sounds familiar reminds me of the cricket league they had here for only black and white players which is basically against every principle of rugby and the development of it. Your second problem is Australia fight for support between its different sport. So Networks are going to lose 60 percent of its viewers and billions in income excluding South Africa. Basically the viewer totals will be NZ plus the Islands and Australia who's biggest viewer total ever was over 500 000 when the Reds played in the final. Sharks vs Stormers regular round game hit 800 000 alone in S.A. Then there is the problem where it will fit in? Super Rugby, Tri Nations and NZ NPC there is nowhere to fit it in. I this Australia will be all for such tournaments as they gain a league where NZ and like in the Super Rugby comp SA lose the Currie Cup. Only way you will ever fit them in is combining them like with the PI team they had and competed at International level. IRB would never sanction or support it unless it has development of the smaller nations in mind which means USA, Japan, Canada etc etc have to be included. Don't see why I need to make another thread touching the same issues.

So create a league with players only from the Islands playing in it? That sounds familiar reminds me of the cricket league they had here for only black and white players which is basically against every principle of rugby and the development of it. Your second problem is Australia fight for support between its different sport. So Networks are going to lose 60 percent of its viewers and billions in income excluding South Africa. Basically the viewer totals will be NZ plus the Islands and Australia who's biggest viewer total ever was over 500 000 when the Reds played in the final. Sharks vs Stormers regular round game hit 800 000 alone in S.A. Then there is the problem where it will fit in? Super Rugby, Tri Nations and NZ NPC there is nowhere to fit it in. I this Australia will be all for such tournaments as they gain a league where NZ and like in the Super Rugby comp SA lose the Currie Cup. Only way you will ever fit them in is combining them like with the PI team they had and competed at International level. IRB would never sanction or support it unless it has development of the smaller nations in mind which means USA, Japan, Canada etc etc have to be included. Don't see why I need to make another thread touching the same issues.

I refer you sir to my first post and disclaimer: completely hypothetical, obviously scheduling being the major barrier, then other (minor) concerns like no revenue from south africa ;)

Its just something that I was thinking about because in Oz and NZ its a talking point about heritage and theres regular commentary about the weakening of pacific island teams due to players wanting to play for larger nations when eligible. Probably the highest profile case recently is Sitaleki Timani who is very much Tongan, whose brother played for Tonga in the world cup and who was eligible to also play for Tonga in the world cup right up until the point where he made his debut for the wallabies last year before the cup and was promptly dropped from the squad (he has made it back in the wallabies subsequently). Same thing happened to Samo and Fiji about 8 years ago when he was killing it for the brumbies.
I would see the tournament as an opportunity to answer the 'what ifs' about all those who coulda woulda shoulda played for their island nation, and we could see some real pacific pride.

I should also disclaimer this as being half fijian this is a regular topic in our household. :)

Latest posts