• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paisley Dead

The only useful thing he ever did was inspire Liam Neeson to become an actor.

He was a prominent figure in power sharing in NI, whatever your views on him as a person he did make a difference to the political landscape of the country.

He was a prominent figure in power sharing in NI, whatever your views on him as a person he did make a difference to the political landscape of the country.

If you count setting the peace process back 30 years as being a prominent figure, then sure.

that man who for decades brought down all he could of any peace process and sent many a young loyalist off to combat while washing his hands of them.

the only reason he didnt have a paramilitary organisation is that his kept failing (the third force the ulster Resistance)

funnily enough the only time he did properly come sit round to help heal the Norths wounds the table to scrawl peacemaker into his credits was when he could sit at the helm

the man was a bigot an opportunist and believed in his own cult of personality

influential yes and my thoughts go to his family we can respect the dead but we do not have to respect their lives
the north would have been better without him

I don't see why he should be castigated for refusing to share power with Sinn Fein IRA when governments in the south didn't ship any criticism for ruling out including them in coalitions.

I didn't share many of his political opinions and aspirations but may he rest in peace. Now is not the time to speak ill of the dead.

I don't see why he should be castigated for refusing to share power with Sinn Fein IRA when governments in the south didn't ship any criticism for ruling out including them in coalitions.

I didn't share many of his political opinions and aspirations but may he rest in peace. Now is not the time to speak ill of the dead.

sunningdale didnt involve the RA the first assembly after good friday was the SDLP

the man is a beacon of how and why politics should not be conducted on ethnic/religious lines

his short shortsightedness helped kill off the moderate political power in the north helping the SDLP stagnate assassinating the character of Trimble leaving us with the ineptitude of sinn fein and the die hard out of date politics of the DUP

there is little to thank him for
he didnt treat the dead with respect
to criticize his life instead of offering tribute to it is not disrespect

Ah bugger that. He was one of the major movers behind the dismantling of the Sunningdale Agreement, and that didn't involved the shinners at all. I'd go as far to say that if it weren't for Paisley and his ilk Sinn Fein would barely register on the political landscape in Northern Ireland.

It's a shame that the more reasonable voices like John Hume, Gerry Fitt and Brian Faulkner were cast to one side in favor of politicians like Adams and Paisley who could shout louder and cause more destruction.

Should have taken Adams with him, we can get rid of the dinosaurs on a one for one basis.

Should have taken Adams with him, we can get rid of the dinosaurs on a one for one basis.

Essentially this.

I find it very difficult to have any respect for Adams. At least Martin McGuinness has the bottle to come out and admit he was an IRA commander, Adams wont even do that even with the amnesty. Who do you think you're fooling Gerry?

As an Ulster rugby player once said. After Paisleys interest in Ulster playing on Sundays was raised the message was simple. You can do anything on a Sunday except enjoy yourself.

Would have done the Peace Process the world of good if he'd died long ago. Absolute scumbag I have no respect or sympathy for him and his inferiority complex obsessed kind kind, both Loyalist and Republican.

Compared to the people the unionist parties are producing, Adams is a relative new baby. Legalise abortion, legalise gay marriage, all from the Catholic parties. The Protestant parties are the dinosaurs

Compared to the people the unionist parties are producing, Adams is a relative new baby. Legalise abortion, legalise gay marriage, all from the Catholic parties. The Protestant parties are the dinosaurs

Blow up a market, you know, progressive policies?
Trying to justify one side as taking the moral high ground over the other is a worthless task.

Nelson Mandela, freedom fighter or terrorist.

Same can be said about Adams etc, they wanted Catholics to have some sort of equal rights.

Nelson Mandela, freedom fighter or terrorist.

Same can be said about Adams etc, they wanted Catholics to have some sort of equal rights.

No Adams wanted to be known as the man who took on the British government and drive them out of NI and in the process get power and publicity for himself, in the same way Paisley wanted to be known as the man who kept ulster British and Orange and in the process get power and publicity for himself. Cheeks on the same arse.

No Adams wanted to be known as the man who took on the British government and drive them out of NI and in the process get power and publicity for himself, in the same way Paisley wanted to be known as the man who kept ulster British and Orange and in the process get power and publicity for himself. Cheeks on the same arse.
I don't think you can say that at all, Paisley wanted to keep NI British and Orange while keeping the Catholic/Nationalist population as an after thought to the 'state' where they continued to be discriminated against and given far less opportunities than the Protestant/Loyalist population.

Adams' in a nationalist and obviously wants Ireland to be a 32 county republic but he was also fighting for the rights of his community, his methods were pathetic and I don't agree with them but it came after a period of time where all peaceful methods to find a solution were shot down.

Were either of them good people? No. Will either of them be remembered positively by anyone but extremists? No. Were either of them good for Irish politics? No, but Paisley certainly had a worse affect and is somewhat responsible himself for the actions of extreme nationalists.

It is extremely interesting to here the views of current Unionists. They claim Paisley betrayed them and is a sell out to go into power sharing with the Shinners.

To be fair, and this is in no way a slight or meant to sound condescending, but the standard of knowledge int the UK about the recent history of Northern Ireland (say 1945-98) is very low. This is pretty understandable given that in school you have a whole empire's history to cover, but it does mean that the situation can often be misunderstood by those on the other side of the channel. That's not to say that there isn't a level of bias in our interpretation of things of course.

I think it's often forgotten that the troubles were born out of a Catholic civil rights campaign in the mid 60's. Simple stuff like introducing one man one vote, putting a stop to gerrymandering, reforming the very questionable housing and economic policies of the north would have gone an awful long way to ensuring that the scale of violence we saw never happened. It was the Paisleyites and their kind that tried to sabotage that at every turn though.

That said, anyone who turned the conflict onto civilians is scum, be they IRA, UVF, British army, whoever.

Latest posts