• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Passing Like The Pros

U

USA_Rugby

I can get a little spin on the ball, but how can I get as much spin and pro players do when I pass, or at least close to it?

Any tips?

Watch Peter stringer pass the key is to take on hand of the ball as you follow through get into this habbit and soon you will not be able to not spin the ball.
Never ever move one hand up and one hand down to twist the ball as you throw.That takes all the power out of the ball.

I also see quite a bit of wrist action on the passing hand. I always remember to follow through to get a more accurate pass

Just pass it and follow through.

Don't try and copy any one else's action because the only action that will work best is the one that comes naturally from practicing.

Also, DON'T WATCH PETER STRINGER!!!
Seriously, if there's one man in pro rugby that passes the ball in the worst way possible it's him (After a very close battle with Wilkinson).

Also, DON'T WATCH PETER STRINGER!!!
Seriously, if there's one man in pro rugby that passes the ball in the worst way possible it's him (After a very close battle with Wilkinson).
[/b]

Peter Stringer may be a bad scrum half but he has an unreel pass what you on about

Whereas most people pass the ball with the point of the ball aiming at the person receiving the ball, Stringer passes the ball with the point of the ball aiming at the sky.
It's an incredibly bad pass (as far as technique is concerned).

Gotta agree with RC, Stingers pass is worse than mine! If you want to watch one of the best passers in a game, just look at Nicky Robinson of the Cardiff Blues, or my mate Richard.......

What about Robert Jones, he had the best pass I have ever seen. Pure quality and a great bloke too!

But in the end, as melon suggested, you need to devolpe your own passing style. Don't try and force it, even if it's a long pass. I've still not perfected my left handed passing, it's just so unatural, annoying having to think about!

speaking of passes, anyone remember that crazy reverse pass elissalde did in the RWC semis against england?

Watching him launch an inch perfect pass to Merhts who would than heave it 50m down the field was a thing of beauty - it was just one fluid movement.

Unlike the next decade of Marshall.

What's wrong with Marshalls pass? Nice and floated so the opposition have time to lineup the receiver. :p

I can spin it off my right, though it goes a bit dodgy now and then. Can't spin it at all off my left, but noticed that you can do good passes off the left without spinning it. The only game I can think of that really shows this was Leicester v Wasps EDF Semi Final this season, so if you watch a video of the highlights, just look at the way Andy Goode's passing off his left. It's a nice feeling putting someone in for a try with a good pass.

You dont really NEED to spin the ball, it just happens, and when your passing the ball to someone up close, example: a pop pass you shouldnt need to spin the pass otherwise its a waste of energy, time, and it also makes it hard to catch.

Watch the league games, most of their passes are VERY fast, but it doesnt have much spin on them, I believe those passes are the most efficient. Spin passes should be when your passing VERY far away to your backs/wing.

Anyway, the spins on the balls is something which happens naturally, while practising, its not something you can learn off others. Just keep on practising mate.

I can spin it off my right, though it goes a bit dodgy now and then. Can't spin it at all off my left, but noticed that you can do good passes off the left without spinning it. The only game I can think of that really shows this was Leicester v Wasps EDF Semi Final this season, so if you watch a video of the highlights, just look at the way Andy Goode's passing off his left. It's a nice feeling putting someone in for a try with a good pass. [/b]

Heres my advice. I used to not have a great spin off my weak hand either but i had a really good one off my strong hand so what i did was looked at my strong hand pass, and copied the same hand placement and motion to my left side and just practiced tossing the ball up in the air to myself using my weak hand to spin it.

I agree with DC, but spin isn't the most important thing to use make sure your pass is accurate then you can add the spin.

Cody

Latest posts