• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Passing while moving

R

roba

One of the major problems I have is passing while moving. I can pass about 15-20 metres accurately standing still but once I get moving I have trouble passing accurately at any distance.

Are there any tips anyone can impart so I can leave the wing and go into the centre?

You just have to adjust...

You have to compensate for the speed you and the receiver are passing at.
If your target is the place it would be if you were apssing to a stationary target you will pass behind the receiver as he's in motion.
I've come across a lot of people who have this problem. I know it's a simple solution but time and time again I see this problem.

Other than that...practice practice practice

i rekon it is a easier to pass while moving
but it is much easier to pass while you are moving if you get your timing right with your body movement as u run..

Develop your eye-hand-pass coordination and this can only be done by practice, but once you get how to do it, it will increase the fun.

My passings shocking - especially my left hand side passing. How do I practise this, improving accuracy and distance?

Took me three weeks to improve passing to my right, my left is superb but my right was terrible, I just spun the ball with my left hand chance I got, sitting at the computer and stuff worked perfectly for me just reverse it for your needs xD.

Take your ball to the local club...run past a rugby post with the pads and keep a good distance away and then while running...simply pass and try and hit the pads of the post. Go pick up the ball and do it again...and again.

If you don't get better at passing you WILL be much fitter in a short time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 12 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Take your ball to the local club...run past a rugby post with the pads and keep a good distance away and then while running...simply pass and try and hit the pads of the post. Go pick up the ball and do it again...and again.

If you don't get better at passing you WILL be much fitter in a short time.[/b]

Great idea.
Will start at a 3m distance and progess over time.

Any other ideas?

No way at all of cheating i'm afraid. Just have to spend the time practicing. Holding the ball in your hand and spinning it using an exagerated wrist action will help though. This can be done while sitting watching tv etc

Just pass the ball back and forth with a mate while going for a run? but with a good distance a part from each other. its good with a partner so that you can practice kicking, catching etc and also you don't have to run and get the ball all the time lol

But really repetition is key i think.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 13 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 12 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't get better at passing you WILL be much fitter in a short time.[/b]

Will start at a 3m distance and progess over time.

[/b][/quote]
Great stuff.....yes slowly increase your distance.  Don't forget try both sides.....also try and spin.  Quite difficult spinning on your un-natural side.

However you know you have got passing while moving when you have progressed to someone cutting behind you and finding him with your pass while you are moving.  A first your friend can cut close....then slowly increase the gap between the two of you when he cuts.  Takes a while to anticipate your freinds running line and to put the ball into the space where he is running into WHILE at the SAME time you are running as well in the opposite direction.  When you do learn it you have pretty much mastered moving and passing.

When passing it has to be top spin because top spin passes spin INTO the recievers body when he catches it while underspin passes spin AWAY from the reciever when he catches it.....and don't do those pathetic end over end passes that people struggle catching.  If you want to learn how to spin the ball on your bad side then passing high up into the air is a good way to start because the ball always comes back to you (when you have no partner).  So YES you can practice passing without a freind.  

If you have access to a gym then you can do what Ricky Stuart did and practice passing the ball at a wall.....the ball does come back to you but not as accurately though.  I used to go to the local softball field and move the 3-Part fence by making it narrower before passing the ball at it.....it came back to me fairly nicely.  

You know you have got passing while moving when you have progressed to someone cutting behind you and finding him with your pass while you are moving.  A first your friend can cut close....then slowly increase the gap between the two of you when he cuts.  Takes a while to anticipate your freinds running line and to put the ball into the space where he is running into WHILE at the SAME time you are running as well in the opposite direction.  When you do learn it you have pretty much mastered moving and passing.

Finally you might try and get fancy with back passes.  It is the same hand positions as spinning the ball.  For instance if you spin the ball to the right your right hand should be further up the ball than your left hand.  Your left hand being further back of the ball is the POWER BEHIND the ball going to the right.  Now to do a back pass where your body and hands are moving right but you want to make the ball go BEHIND your body and go left.....it is the SAME hand positions as if you want to pass right...however you put the ball behind you and UNDERSPIN it back the other way...so that the RIGHT hand is now the power pushing it back to the left and using underspin.  The left hand thumb now takes a very minor role of simply guiding the ball as all the emhasis in on the right hand.

One key thing to note when learning to pass to someone cutting behind you is that it is often better to face towards the guy cutting.  This means two things....you keep your eye on the ball reciever through the whole movement (disadvantage is that you are not watching the defence) and the second thing is that you for a second shield the ball from the defence which makes it harder to read the attack.  If you do not turn and face the guy cutting then you throw what we call a "blind" pass and it has two disadvantages....you cannot see where the reciever is for a second and the defence can read the ball through the entire movement.

Most people who have trouble passing on the run have this problem because they don't follow through as they run. A good passing technique on the run requires three things....

1. Make sure you are catching the ball outside your frame.... ie presenting your arms and not getting caught with the ball buried in your chest.
2. Proper follow through from the catching the position i.e. catching the ball outside the shoulders and simply push-passing the ball across your frame in one swift motion.
3. Look where your passing ie make eye-to-eye contact.

I would work on simply pop passes first and short 5m push passes. If you can do these well enough then work on spinning the ball. I find a lot of guys simply want to spin the ball when most of the time a simple 5m push pass would of done the trick.

After 3 weeks of practise I can pass on my un-natural side almost as well on my natural side it doesn't take long.

Canadian_Rugger has got it imo.
The best is to break it down and start small.
1st see how well you can pop pass while jogging with a mate. Just take a leisurely jog and try swinging pop passes.
What I mean by swinging is exaggerate the movement to make sure you're following through. So start about 45 degrees (I'm talking angles here!) from the opposite side and follow through till about 45 degrees on the otherside. 90 degrees being a straight arm at shoulder height.
Then just do the basics like Canadian_R explained. PRESENT your hands for an incoming pass! Don't latch out at it! This is very important for a backline player.

BTW I know pop passes can seem lame sometimes but trust me, a decent pop pass can take your centre play to another level.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 13 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1st see how well you can pop pass while jogging with a mate. Just take a leisurely jog and try swinging pop passes.
What I mean by swinging is exaggerate the movement to make sure you're following through. So start about 45 degrees (I'm talking angles here!) from the opposite side and follow through till about 45 degrees on the otherside. 90 degrees being a straight arm at shoulder height.
Then just do the basics like Canadian_R explained. PRESENT your hands for an incoming pass! Don't latch out at it! This is very important for a backline player.

BTW I know pop passes can seem lame sometimes but trust me, a decent pop pass can take your centre play to another level.[/b]

Well lets be honest with ourselves here Steve while everyone loves to do a nice spin pass the fact is the only time your ever really going to throw a spin pass is during a set play for the most part or if you have to long bomb it. 90% of the time a spin pass isn't necessary and a simple push pass or pop pass would have sufficed. For one they are a lot quicker which helps create offloads, you don't have to adjust your hands all that much to throw the spin, and they are easier to catch.... all of this equates to quicker ball distribution which is a key factor in creating holes and opening up the defence.

on another note pop passing is especially important if your team uses a pod system. I love playing with pods as you always have options on either side and you always have a trailer who is going to be running through to catch an inside or outside pass when you make the cut to either side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Dec 13 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 13 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW I know pop passes can seem lame sometimes but trust me, a decent pop pass can take your centre play to another level.[/b]

Well lets be honest with ourselves here Steve while everyone loves to do a nice spin pass the fact is the only time your ever really going to throw a spin pass is during a set play for the most part or if you have to long bomb it. 90% of the time a spin pass isn't necessary and a simple push pass or pop pass would have sufficed. For one they are a lot quicker which helps create offloads, you don't have to adjust your hands all that much to throw the spin, and they are easier to catch.... all of this equates to quicker ball distribution which is a key factor in creating holes and opening up the defence.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure what you're talking about because I'm agreeing with you! Pop pass all the way! I never mention spin pass once actually.

oh I was simply agreeing with you ... sorry if that sounded funny I was tired when I wrote it lol

I was simply giving an example afterwards on how pop passing is so important and it is often overlooked

on that note how many people have played with a pod system before I friggin love it

Latest posts