Pat Lam's Post Match Comments on Touch Judge Leighton Hodges

Bluemoon

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
If anyone had missed it you can listen to Pat Lam's post match interview Here.

Anyone who saw the game last night will know the officials had another bad night at the office. There were calls for both sides that were missed throughout, along with one at the end of the game which would have ensured victory for Connacht.

However, this interview was a little more damming of Leighton Hodges than that. Lam suggests Hodges was deliberately looking to give decisions against Connacht from the touch line due to a previous altercation regarding parking at a past home game.

Is Pat allowed to go public with this as it is quite a serious accusation?

If anyone had missed it you can listen to Pat Lam's post match interview Here.

Anyone who saw the game last night will know the officials had another bad night at the office. There were calls for both sides that were missed throughout, along with one at the end of the game which would have ensured victory for Connacht.

However, this interview was a little more damming of Leighton Hodges than that. Lam suggests Hodges was deliberately looking to give decisions against Connacht from the touch line due to a previous altercation regarding parking at a past home game.

Is Pat allowed to go public with this as it is quite a serious accusation?

Lets just say he may get a letter from Mr Hodges' legal representatives to discuss the matter.

Hodges is kak.

Ref's have bad days but to go in an insinuate/accuse a referee/touch judge of going into a game with the view of deliberately favouring a team over the other is about as libellous/slanderous as it gets. Especially considering its almost impossible to prove.

Hodges is a really bad ref, but Lam was clearly pretty caught up and upset with losing like that. I'd imagine he didn't really mean it and will probably apologise.

Ref's have bad days but to go in an insinuate/accuse a referee/touch judge of going into a game with the view of deliberately favouring a team over the other is about as libellous/slanderous as it gets. Especially considering its almost impossible to prove.

Hodges is kak regardless of potentially libelous claims made by Pat Lam.
Really doesn't surprise me that these sort of claims have been made though, Hodges comes across as a bit of a dick, frankly.

Hodges is kak regardless of potentially libelous claims made by Pat Lam.
Really doesn't surprise me that these sort of claims have been made though, Hodges comes across as a bit of a dick, frankly.

A judge wont see that as a defence

Not that it'l go that far, as Groundhog says we'll get an apology in a day or so and Lam might get a fine from the league or something

A judge wont see that as a defence

So?

I'm not his lawyer and I'm not setting out a client's defence... I'm expressing my opinion that Leighton Hodges is a poor ref who comes across as an unlikeable character.
Unlikeable characters enable situations like this.

Last edited:
Would have been a big win for Connacht. Didn't see the game, was the call really that bad?

Would have been a big win for Connacht. Didn't see the game, was the call really that bad?

Blues knocked on midway through 8 mins of extra time and the Connacht hooker picked up the ball from the tackled player who dropped the ball. Hodges called it hands in the ruck and a penalty went to the blues. About 3/4 mins later the blues scored a try to win. To be honest, there were decisions that were inconsistent and strange for both teams, but that would be the one to remember as technically that was the end of the game.

The refereeing standards have been poor in the league this year and I know Lam was frustrated, but this was no angry outburst. This was a calm description of the situation and I just think he might have dropped himself in hot water by going public. You've got to go through the right channels.

I was about to call out Lam for this, but now I'm not so certain. If the stewards can verify Lam's claim that Hodges said that "That's going to cost your team", then it would give Lam grounds to say what he said I would think? As far as I am aware, he wouldn't need to be factually correct in that Hodges gave his decisions due to the parking incident, he would just need to demonstrate that it is a reasonable view to hold.

Great input there Draggs. Refs have been ****e for everyone so that makes it okay. No it doesn't. The standard of reffing in the league is abysmal and it's to the detriment of everyone.

Does anyone know why?

Is it poor leadership from the top? just a poor batch of individuals, lack of funding?

Does anyone know why?

Is it poor leadership from the top? just a poor batch of individuals, lack of funding?
I imagine a mix of the first two. Added to the fact that it is the most under hyped league in sport so they don't feel as if they need to perform, Hodges and Lacey are actually somewhat competant at European level but the administrating in the Pro 12 is plain lazy and it feeds into the officiating.

Never said it made it OK, just saying it is a common issue in the Amateur12. I don't watch the league.

Not sure, but might get a fine since he went public.

Latest posts