Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Concerns over McCabe's neck for 3rd time

Australia wing Pat McCabe suffered a recurrence of his neck injury against New Zealand and is a doubt for the rest of the Rugby Championship. The Brumby back was wearing a neck brace at Auckland airport and according to AAP, Ewen McKenzie said the scans show worrying signs.

In a further setback to the Wallaby cause, hooker Nathan Charles will join McCabe on the sidelines for their upcoming fixture against South Africa after suffering a rib injury in Saturday's 51-20 defeat. The Reds' James Hanson is now poised for a start against the Boks on September 6 in Perth.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/therugbychampionship/news/concerns-over-mccabes-neck-for-3rd-time/

there is a point in the game where the camera pans away to the dug out, and McCabe is sat on the end of the bench very stiff and keeping as still as possible, his eyes are literally rolling in his head -in that you can only see the whites of his eyes.... he just looks in a right state.

Hope he's ok, would hate for anything life changing to happen...

Hope McCabe is okay as he has been a solid player who always puts his body on the line and seems like a genuine bloke. I can't help but think however that he is really tempting fate the longer he plays professional rugby though. Two broken necks and possibly a third? I can only imagine what his physician is saying to him about continuing to play!

Dude has balls of steel - to continue playing after breaking your neck requires some serious mental strength - to do it twice is on a completely different level.

Retiring is really the only choice he has. Playing a few more seasons of rugby (and perhaps a few more test matches) isn't worth the risk of spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair.

I've always been a fan of McCabe. He isn't the most creative player, but I feel he was unfairly made a scapegoat for the Wallabies poor performances c. 2011/2012. He is a rock solid defender in the midfield, and when not used solely as the battering ram can actually be quite effective on attack (as he runs great lines). He was critical in the Wallabies quarterfinal victory over South Africa at the last World Cup - he just kept smashing the South African ball runners back time and time again (despite a shoulder injury).

Gotta feel sorry for the guy - no one can question his commitment. Agree he was probably a bit underrated.

This is very sad and unfortunate, but as others have said the risks simply aren't worth it... I wonder who link will bring into the team to cover him, and if it'll be an actual winger this time?

Pretty **** outcome, never want to see players go under these circumstances.

It's very sad news, he's very young. He will have to find a new job. Brumbies should give him a job

Certainly feel for Pat but this is for the best. Surely, he is only one bad tackle away from being in a wheelchair or worse. Thanks for your service Pat and best of luck. Life is bigger than rugby.

Brumbies Twitter Account said:
Contrary to reports Pat McCabe has not yet retired. Pat has a meeting with Warren McDonald today, statement coming Thursday, not before.

Hmmm.

He's a classic little aussie battler, doesn't give any ground, doesn't ask for mercy.
I wish him well.

At 26yo, fekkk...that's harsh, really harsh. Hope he finds life is about more than playing the sport he loves though, I'm sure he'll forget about it quicker than he thought possible, but those first few stretches are going to be TOUGH.

Very sad news. Maybe not an all time great, but as committed and brave a player as you could dream of. Here's hoping he's happy with whatever comes next.

He's the second Super Rugby Player this year to retire due to a neck injury.

Frik Kirsten who played for the Bulls and was with the Springboks during the 2013 EOYT also had to retire due to a neck injury, and he was aged 23.

Still very sad news.

Latest posts