• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Peel earns late Welsh squad call

C

Cymro

Dwayne Peel has been given an 11th hour call-up to Wales' Six Nations squad due to an injury scare to Gareth Cooper.

Wales coach Warren Gatland caused a shock when he omitted the Sale Sharks scrum-half from his initial squad.

But Cooper aggravated a knee injury in training and may miss the tournament's opening two rounds and Peel reports to the Wales camp on Tuesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7862585.stm

It seemed an odd call leaving Peel out in the first place but who am I to argue with somebody as successful as Warren Gatland?

Well, Peel's lucky to be in the squad. I think he's more talented than Phillips and Cooper, but he hasn't been showing it for a while.
This is a massive opportunity for him now; he spurned one last year against Italy, so he knows how rare his chances of proving himself are gonna come. If he plays well, then it'll be excellent for Wales to have two contrasting nines who are both brilliant.

Peel is the best 9 in Wales by a country mile so to see him in is justice. Was the reason for his initial exclusion the fact he is playing outside of wales? If so its harsh. Cooper from my own club Gloucester is a poor excuse for a international 9. Even he must have been embarrassed to be chose ahead of Peel This makes Peels place on the Lions tour a cert.

wouldnt be so sure of that danny gatland will definatly have a say in the picking of the squad no matter what anyone says and his personal opinion of peel may count against him

even Phillips doesn't have a huge amount of rugby under his belt, so to leave Peel out initially really was daft, even if it came from a grand slam winning coach, just cause he's won a grand slam doesn't mean every call he makes or even made for that matter was correct.

Thinking about this more ....

Gatland probably left Peel out deliberatly! His reasoning behind it was to get Peel to play some rugby and get back to his best! As soon as Gatland dropped Peel, Peel came out saying he aint going down without a fight! Peel then played the next game for Sale and scored that marvellous solo try in the HEC and was excellent!

Really Gatland has forced Peel to challenge himself to regain his form!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 1 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Gatland probably left Peel out deliberatly! His reasoning behind it was to get Peel to play some rugby and get back to his best! As soon as Gatland dropped Peel, Peel came out saying he aint going down without a fight! Peel then played the next game for Sale and scored that marvellous solo try in the HEC and was excellent!

Really Gatland has forced Peel to challenge himself to regain his form![/b]
then gatland injured cooper to call peel back up! precisely watson, old chap

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 1 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 1 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really Gatland has forced Peel to challenge himself to regain his form![/b]
then gatland injured cooper to call peel back up! precisely watson, old chap
[/b][/quote]

<_<

Some really funny people on this forum <_<

Gatland's plan was to include Peel at some stage! All Gatland has done is set a challenge to Peel! The fact Cooper is injured is a bonus for Peel as he now has a chance to show the class he possesses!

twas only a joke mate
well all i hope is that the same thing is happening with reddan if stringer starts in this 6N ill cry

Its a big risk to hope that one of the 9`s would get injured. I do feel you are giving gatland credit for supernatural powers he just doesnt possess. If you are correct he is one hell of a man manager.

Even if Cooper or Peel was never injured I reckon Gatland would spin it in the media that at some stage Cooper / Phillips got injured during a game or training session!

Any truth in the well worn rumour that Gatland has been offered BIG money to coach Gloucester after the Lions tour. Heard this many times today is it being mentioed in wales?

Might get a mention in the Wales on Sunday tomorrow if not in the Western Mail Monday!

Latest posts