Penalties for holding on at the breakdown QUESTION

AzaMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
hello

is there any particular reason why repeatedly being penalized for holding on and preventing a turnover is not treated the same as other penalties? it seems to me that any other penalties result in cards/warnings etc but holding on at the breakdown always just concedes the penalty, i understand the reasoning for this currently (to win kicks at goal/touch etc) but was there a point where it was just like other penalties. for example teams had to place the ball and leave it, if they kept getting penalized for holding on then they were sent to the bin etc.

if this has never been a thing would you prefer this rule to come into place? it would surely open up more attacking opportunities as once a turnover was created the team could immediately attack. it rarely happens these days as once someone has jackled their opponent they just hold on and concede the penalty.

hope someone can help ^_^

I think that because it's such a common and harmless penalty to commit it's seen as too harsh to hand out yellows for it. I'm not sure that this is the reason, but I would assume it is.

Generally speaking, when the tackler or tackled player holds on at the breakdown, repeat occurrences are not usually by the same player. Yellow cards handed out for this offence are generally reserved for the cynical offence where a defender does so a few metres out from his own goal-line.

There is also the case often see in every game of players deliberately holding down the tackler of assistant to gain the penalty. Very difficult to referee against but happens all the time.

Generally speaking, when the tackler or tackled player holds on at the breakdown, repeat occurrences are not usually by the same player. Yellow cards handed out for this offence are generally reserved for the cynical offense where a defender does so a few meters out from his own goal-line.

yea ive seen cards given for the tackler holding on when he shouldnt be, not releasing etc. but not from the tackled player. just seems odd to me that this is treated differently to other pens. thank you for clearing it up though ^_ ^

Latest posts