• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Penalty taken in front of the mark

Stuart White

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
Why is it that referees at the top level allow players to take a kick-out-of-hand penalty up to three metres in front of the mark?
The law says that the kick needs to go 'through the mark', so why isn't that refereed properly?
Dan Biggar has taken every pen some three metres in front of, or closer to touch, than the mark set by the ref in the game v Japan.

Why is it that referees at the top level allow players to take a kick-out-of-hand penalty up to three metres in front of the mark?
The law says that the kick needs to go 'through the mark', so why isn't that refereed properly?
Dan Biggar has taken every pen some three metres in front of, or closer to touch, than the mark set by the ref in the game v Japan.
It's just one of those things that's considered not worth blowing up for.
Makes minimal difference when kicking for distance, but is strictly enforced for a tap and go where 1m can make a big difference.

it's annoying, but one of the less annoying of the laws-that-are-never-enforced.

It's just one of those things that's considered not worth blowing up for.
Makes minimal difference when kicking for distance, but is strictly enforced for a tap and go where 1m can make a big difference.

it's annoying, but one of the less annoying of the laws-that-are-never-enforced.
this, considering the unknowns of how well hes actually going to kick it (even the best shank it)...then s the touchie in the best position to to mark exactly where it went out (they're often meters off)...then you have the lineout thrown (even the best throw a crooked one)

There are too many "fuzzy" aspect to that series of event to stress to mush about or pretend its an exact science

What was more strange was the boks winning penalty at the end of the 3rd test. They took a tap and go, made significant distance, they were then tackled.
Only then did the ref call it back for not taking the penalty from the mark.
Would he have called it back if the scored a try? They took a quick tap that was their penalty. This essentially gave them a free shot at a tap and go, if it failed then bring it back for the kick.

What was more strange was the boks winning penalty at the end of the 3rd test. They took a tap and go, made significant distance, they were then tackled.
Only then did the ref call it back for not taking the penalty from the mark.
Would he have called it back if the scored a try? They took a quick tap that was their penalty. This essentially gave them a free shot at a tap and go, if it failed then bring it back for the kick.
If he had scored then the ref should have brought it back as well. Would the ref? We'll never know. But it shouldn't be a free tap and go.

Tbh I also find it annoying. Same as in football when a player takes a throw in no where near where the ball went out. (I especially find it ridiculous when they cross the halfway line. There is a clear line to mark where you should take it from). However, it would be more annoying to have the ref constantly blow. Even refs enforcing it more would waste time.

It is like the scrum put ins. I don't think anyone ever put it in straight but would be a waste of time to still worry about it that much.

It is like the scrum put ins. I don't think anyone ever put it in straight but would be a waste of time to still worry about it that much.
Yes I agree but in a case or this type of thing at a penalty it gives a team a free shot at running the penalty then if it fails take the kick.

Latest posts