• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Perfect Player XV

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
This isn't the place to post Tommy Bowe's name fifteen times. Instead, select three players for each position you'd love to merge into one to create the perfect player in that position. For example, at scrum half, you could take the pass of Dwayne Peel, snipes & pace of Danny Care and kicking game of Dimitri Yachvilli to for the perfect little halfback, unless you'd prioritise the defence of Mike Phillips. The idea isn't to think 'Dan Carter is extremely good at everything, so I'll go with him', it's to go 'Steyn is a better kicker than Carter, so I'll have that part of his game and then two others'.

This could be fun. Not sure. We'll find out.

1. Healy/Jenkins/Domingo
2. Du Plessis/Cronin/Moore
3. Jones/Cole/Franks
4. Thorn/Etzebeth/Retallick
5. O'Connell/Maseri/Gray
6. Ferris/Someone who never gets injured/Bonnaire
7. Pocock/McCaw/O'Brien
8. Parisse/Picamoles/Read
9. Genia/Smith/Murray
10. Carter/Cooper/Sexton
11. Ngwenya/Gilroy/Savea
12. Roberts/Fofana/Gitaeu
13. O'Driscoll/Basteraud/Smith
14. Bowe/Habana/Jane
15. Kearney/Halfpenny/Beale

Make of that what you will.

Will have to think about some others in more depth, but I've been envisioning the perfect back-row since I saw this thread, and would go with something like:

6 Stephen Ferris - Size, hit-power and ball-carrying strength.
Dan Lydiate - Engine, work-rate and tackling technique.
Tom Croft - Speed, step, attacking instincts and line-out option.

7 Richie McCaw - Experience, breakdown ability, leadership and engine.
David Pocock - Work-rate, engine, pilfering ability and tackling.
Justin Tipuric - Link-up play, ball-skills/hands and step/athleticism.

8 Sergio Parisse - Ball-skills/hands, leadership and a line-out option.
Louis Picamoles - Pure ball-carrying strength and power.
Toby Faletau - Defence and athleticism, speed and step.

Will try and complete my whole side soon. I'm not that knowledgeable on the SH though.

Ferris is quite pacy already.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8xdOX5iNkC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sure you already knew that I just wanted to post that sorry. :D

Ferris is quite pacy already.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8xdOX5iNkC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'm sure you already knew that I just wanted to post that sorry. :D
Seeing stuff like this makes me wanna cry WHY LEAVE US FEZZA :'(

1. Beast Mtawarira/Wyatt Crockett/Cian Healy
2. Bismarck/Andrew Hore/Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Coenie Oosthuizen/Castrogiovanni/Ben Franks
4. Bakkies Botha/Brad Thorn/Eben Etzebeth
5. Andries Bekker/Ali Williams/Paul O'Connel
6. Heinrich Brussouw/Richie Mccaw/David Pocock
7. Stephen Ferris/Willem Alberts/Robshaw
8. Pierre Spies/Duane Vermeulen/Kieran Read
9. Fourie Du Preez/Mike Phillips/Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter/Morne Steyn(just for his kicking)/Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane/Bryan Habana/Bjorn Basson
12. Jean De Villiers/Ma'a Nonu/Jamie Roberts
13. Conrad Smith/Brian O'Driscoll/Manu Tuilagi
14. Julian Savea/JP Pietersen/Tommy Bowe
15. Israel Dagg/Leigh Halfpenny/Rob Kearney

Please note that this is based on when the players are on form...

You could amalgamate the fullbacks of England since 2008 into one ugly beast: consistency of Foden, pace of Brown, finishing and chance creation of Goode, attitude of Armitage, general ability of Balshaw. Thankfully, throw in the fitness of Morgan and this player wouldn't play much! :p

You could amalgamate the fullbacks of England since 2008 into one ugly beast: consistency of Foden, pace of Brown, finishing and chance creation of Goode, attitude of Armitage, general ability of Balshaw. Thankfully, throw in the fitness of Morgan and this player wouldn't play much! :p

What's wrong with Mike Brown's pace? It should be Alex Goode's pace. And Alex Goode's mobility. And Alex Goode's tackling technique and strength. In fact, just make it Alex Goode.

I'm going to try one based on current Welsh players:

01 Gethin Jenkins: work-rate and cover tackling, Paul James: scrummaging, Ryan Bevington: pace, try scoring and hard tackles.
02 Richard Hibbard: scrummaging, close carrying work and crunching tackling, Ken Owens: work-rate and loose play, AN Other: someone with consistent throwing?
03 Adam Jones: scrummaging and fringe defence, Scott Andrews: loose play, Samson Lee: for his gingerness. This combined with Adam's hair = :eek:.
04 Alun-Wyn Jones: work-rate, passion and tackling, Olly Kohn: bulk and scrummaging, Luke Charteris: lineout ability.
05 Ian Evans: work-rate & lineout, Bradley Davies: carrying, James King: pace and athleticism.
06 Dan Lydiate: work-rate and tackling ability, Ryan Jones: leadership and fringe carrying: Aaron Shingler: handling and pace.
07 Sam Warburton: fetching, tackling and leadership, Justin Tipuric: link-play, pace, skill-set and athleticism, Josh Navidi: hair.
08 Toby Faletau: carrying out wide, athleticism, work-rate and tackling, Joe Bearman: handling, AN Other: close carrying work?

09 Mike Phillips: passion, big-game temperament, aggression, size, tackling and kicking, Lloyd Williams: speed and passing ability, Rhys Webb: sniping (despite his many flaws, he's excellent at sniping around the fringes).
10 Matthew Morgan: running ability, Dan Biggar: kicking, Stephen Jones: defence.
11 George North: finishing, pace and power, Eli Walker: out and out pace and agility, can't think of a third, but is one needed, that combo would be immense already!
12 Gavin Henson: for those hands and huge boot, Jamie Roberts: defence and carrying ability, Ashley Beck: running angles and offloading out of the tackle.
13 Jon Davies: try scoring, carrying and defence, James Hook: creativity, Gavin Evans: just kidding! Have we got any flyers, ala Jamie Robinson?
14 Alex Cuthbert: finishing, pace and power, Liam Williams: tackling and general crazyness (hey I like his attitude), again I can't think of a third.
15 Leigh Halfpenny: attitude, solidity and kicking, Lee Byrne: angles of running, Richard Fussell: counter attacking.

Last edited:
15. Cullen/Burke/Latham
14. Tuilagi/Chavanga/Campese
13. Conrad Smith/BOD/Gerber
12. Umaga/Horan/Brain Lima
11. Habana/Lomu/Carel Du Plessis
10. Henry Honiball/Carter/Larkham
9. Fourie du Preez/Gregan/vd Westhuizen
8. Brooke/Morne Du Plessis/Spies
7. Jones/Andre Venter/Joe van Niekerk
6. Finnegan/Burger/Skinstadt
5. Bakkies Botha/Johnson/Jones
4. Thorn/Matfield/Eales
3. Du Randt/Noriega/Beast
2. Britz/Fitzpatrick/Uli Smidt
1. Loe/Vickery/Steve Mcdowell

15. Cullen/Burke/Latham
14. Tuilagi/Chavanga/Campese
13. Conrad Smith/BOD/Gerber
12. Umaga/Horan/Brain Lima
11. Habana/Lomu/Carel Du Plessis
10. Henry Honiball/Carter/Larkham
9. Fourie du Preez/Gregan/vd Westhuizen
8. Brooke/Morne Du Plessis/Spies
7. Jones/Andre Venter/Joe van Niekerk
6. Finnegan/Burger/Skinstadt
5. Bakkies Botha/Johnson/Jones
4. Thorn/Matfield/Eales
3. Du Randt/Noriega/Beast
2. Britz/Fitzpatrick/Uli Smidt
1. Loe/Vickery/Steve Mcdowell

How can you have Du Randt and Beast at 3??? They're both loosehead props!!

What's wrong with Mike Brown's pace? It should be Alex Goode's pace. And Alex Goode's mobility. And Alex Goode's tackling technique and strength. In fact, just make it Alex Goode.
Mike Brown isn't too bad for pace, but he's no Foden, and I couldn't think of something that's particularly bad about him. You're right though, Goode would probably be worse than my joint fullback. :p

How can you have Du Randt and Beast at 3??? They're both loosehead props!!
I thought this is a post where you place 3 guys best qualities into one? You mentioned two props and I mentioned 3. Noriega so you are getting excited to quickly mate

I'm going to try one based on current Welsh players:

01 Gethin Jenkins: work-rate and cover tackling, Paul James: scrummaging, Ryan Bevington: pace, try scoring and hard tackles.
02 Richard Hibbard: scrummaging, close carrying work and crunching tackling, Ken Owens: work-rate and loose play, AN Other: someone with consistent throwing?
03 Adam Jones: scrummaging and fringe defence, Scott Andrews: loose play, Samson Lee: for his gingerness. This combined with Adam's hair = :eek:.
04 Alun-Wyn Jones: work-rate, passion and tackling, Olly Kohn: bulk and scrummaging, Luke Charteris: lineout ability.
05 Ian Evans: work-rate & lineout, Bradley Davies: carrying, James King: pace and athleticism.
06 Dan Lydiate: work-rate and tackling ability, Ryan Jones: leadership and fringe carrying: Aaron Shingler: handling and pace.
07 Sam Warburton: fetching, tackling and leadership, Justin Tipuric: link-play, pace, skill-set and athleticism, Josh Navidi: hair.
08 Toby Faletau: carrying out wide, athleticism, work-rate and tackling, Joe Bearman: handling, AN Other: close carrying work?

09 Mike Phillips: passion, big-game temperament, aggression, size, tackling and kicking, Lloyd Williams: speed and passing ability, Rhys Webb: sniping (despite his many flaws, he's excellent at sniping around the fringes).
10 Matthew Morgan: running ability, Dan Biggar: kicking, Stephen Jones: defence.
11 George North: finishing, pace and power, Eli Walker: out and out pace and agility, can't think of a third, but is one needed, that combo would be immense already!
12 Gavin Henson: for those hands and huge boot, Jamie Roberts: defence and carrying ability, Ashley Beck: running angles and offloading out of the tackle.
13 Jon Davies: try scoring, carrying and defence, James Hook: creativity, Gavin Evans: just kidding! Have we got any flyers, ala Jamie Robinson?
14 Alex Cuthbert: finishing, pace and power, Liam Williams: tackling and general crazyness (hey I like his attitude), again I can't think of a third.
15 Leigh Halfpenny: attitude, solidity and kicking, Lee Byrne: angles of running, Richard Fussell: counter attacking.

3-Adam is a harder worker than Andrews I'd say.
7-I'd also say Tipuric: General nuisance.
8-Gareth Delve: Leadership, also tackling.
12-So 2005/2008 Gavin Henson? ;)
13-Owen Williams has some decent pace.
14-Will Harries' acceleration and agility.
15-Add Byrne's boot at fullback (out of hand).

Very good though, what a team! :)

@sif, Honiball! Lovely choice. Now add Joubert at fullback...
When you look at it, between Cullen/Montgomery/Latham, the Tri Nations had some of the best fullbacks who have played the game all around the same era.

Last edited:
3-Adam is a harder worker than Andrews I'd say.
7-I'd also say Tipuric: General nuisance.
8-Gareth Delve: Leadership, also tackling.
12-So 2005/2008 Gavin Henson? ;)
13-Owen Williams has some decent pace.
14-Will Harries' acceleration and agility.
15-Add Byrne's boot at fullback (out of hand).

Very good though, what a team! :)

@sif, Honiball! Lovely choice. Now add Joubert at fullback...
When you look at it, between Cullen/Montgomery/Latham, the Tri Nations had some of the best fullbacks who have played the game all around the same era.
ahaa forgot about Jouba lol

Joubert had some wheels.

15. Joubert
14. Badenhorst
13. Mulder
12. Mulder
11. Prinsloo
10. Honiball

Freestate had one hell of a line up before the Sharks went shopping there lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts