• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Perth Should Have Bledisloe instead of Sydney

More importantly, Canberra should at least get one test match a year. We're still the home of the most successful Australian team since the game went professional.

What's the point of having a half filled stadium of 40,000 fans against France C when you can bring those kinds of games to Canberra to a sold out crowd of just under 30,000.

What's the point of having a half filled stadium of 40,000 fans against France C when you can bring those kinds of games to Canberra to a sold out crowd of just under 30,000.[/b]
Money and politics.

As for the topic, it won't happen, now that the Aussies won against the Saffas the bandwagoners will be back on board and Sydney should be packed out, once again proving NSW is the Australian rugby heartland right?

<div class='quotemain'>
What's the point of having a half filled stadium of 40,000 fans against France C when you can bring those kinds of games to Canberra to a sold out crowd of just under 30,000.[/b]
Money and politics.

As for the topic, it won't happen, now that the Aussies won against the Saffas the bandwagoners will be back on board and Sydney should be packed out, once again proving NSW is the Australian rugby heartland right? [/b][/quote]
You lot just don't get it do you? You all ***** about Sydney supporters as if we're all fickle. Sydney is Australia's biggest city and also one of the most competative sporting markets in the world per capita. We have 9 Rugby League teams, our own Rugby Union club comp, a Super 14 team, an AFL team and an A League side. The only other city like us is the apparently 'sport mad melbourne', and they couldn't even get close to filling a Bled match depsite having a world class stadium in a prime location. Sydney has ANZ stadium (stadium Australia, Telstra Stadium etc) for it's big matches, but the fans hate it... at first it was a novelty being in such a big stadium, but that has long since worn off. It's expensive, it's in the middle of no where and it has no atmosphere even when packed beyond capacity. It's just a **** stadium full stop. If you sent these games to a revamped SFS then you wouldn't have this problem.
Canberra getting tests? Great idea until you consider that their stadium doesn't pull in as much revenue as a half full Suncorp stadium or a 3rd full ANZ stadium. When Canberra can fill a world class stadium and is also supporting 4 fully professional sporting teams, then come talk to us about crowds and passion.
Perth? Good crowds and good supporters, but again, little competition from other sports and it's also a **** stadium for rugby, and even more importantly it doesn't make sense economically given the proximity of NZ to the eastern cities. In my opinion the Bled games should go only to Suncorp, because that's the best rugby/league stadium in the country at the moment and that's where class tests should be played. Full stop.

Homebush is leagues better then Subiaco, you should just suck it in and support your teams.

If you actually came and watched a segment of our news you would know that the Force don't have it easy, a ten minute sports section with around 20 seconds on rugby, the rest on AFL, with such an overarching monopoly on the media it is surprised we are even around today.

As of 2006 we had over 40,000 NZers in Perth, they are mad rugby fans, I know because my parents are ones. All the Kiwis I know are mad rugby fans and even the NZ Super 14 games have shown the type of crowds that we could possibly get for a Bledisloe. Melbourne does not compare to Sydney, Rugby is nothing in Melbourne compared to AFL and even football. When I went to the Bledisloe just about everyone there was tourists from NZ or other places around Australia, not a fair comparison.

Homebush is leagues better then Subiaco, you should just suck it in and support your teams.

[/b]
Yeah, because it's just that simple in a city with 12 (not country the sydney club rugby scene) major professional football teams across all different codes :rolleyes: . Homebush is no even close to being as good a stadium as the SFS and the fans have come to resent the fact that so many games are held there... it's virtually reaching boycott status people hate it so much. And boycotting becomes much easier when you have a market that is jam packed full of product!
You guys have 3 major teams if you include the Freemantle Dockers, you couldn't possibly understand what it's like living in Sydney with all that's thrown at you every day. You would put up with Subiaco because you have no f#cking choice. We do. That's the difference.

If you actually came and watched a segment of our news you would know that the Force don't have it easy, a ten minute sports section with around 20 seconds on rugby, the rest on AFL, with such an overarching monopoly on the media it is surprised we are even around today.

As of 2006 we had over 40,000 NZers in Perth, they are mad rugby fans, I know because my parents are ones. All the Kiwis I know are mad rugby fans and even the NZ Super 14 games have shown the type of crowds that we could possibly get for a Bledisloe. Melbourne does not compare to Sydney, Rugby is nothing in Melbourne compared to AFL and even football. When I went to the Bledisloe just about everyone there was tourists from NZ or other places around Australia, not a fair comparison. [/b]

40,000 Kiwi's is not a large number. There are way more kiwis in Melbourne and much more again in Sydney. Anyway though, back to the point. Yes, melbourne is an AFL mad city and all the ethnics are soccer mad, but they're also vying for a rugby team now, are also the NRL champions and have a tonne of kiwis. If they really want rugby down there then they should support wholeheartedly what they get! They don't. Saying Melbourne isn't a fair comparison is beside the point. Nowhere is a fair comparison because you all have stuff all sport compared to Sydney! Melbourne is the closest thing, so that's why I pointed it out.

I believe Perth looks a lot better than Sydney. It would look amazing to view a game playing during the sunset.

blah blah blah............In my opinion the Bled games should go only to Suncorp, because that's the best rugby/league stadium in the country at the moment and that's where class tests should be played. Full stop. [/b]

I agree suncorp should keep bledisloe over sydney. we dont hate queenslanders as much as we hate peeps form nsw and victoria.

so its all agreed that sydney and their supporters are **** and so we should move bledisloe games to perth then! Beauty mate!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
Money and politics.

As for the topic, it won't happen, now that the Aussies won against the Saffas the bandwagoners will be back on board and Sydney should be packed out, once again proving NSW is the Australian rugby heartland right? [/b][/quote]
When Canberra can fill a world class stadium and is also supporting 4 fully professional sporting teams, then come talk to us about crowds and passion. [/b][/quote]

Well that reeks of arrogance... and bullshit...

<div class='quotemain'>
Money and politics.

When Canberra can fill a world class stadium and is also supporting 4 fully professional sporting teams, then come talk to us about crowds and passion. [/b][/quote]

Well that reeks of arrogance... and bullshit... [/b][/quote]
Alright, my response was a fair bit over the top rereading your post... Was just on the defensive after reading BLR's crap about bandwagoners in Sydney.
You're right, they should send those NH touring sides to smaller stadiums like Canberra from now, because if they're not going to take us seriously then we might as well use it as an opportunity to spread games around. Actually f*** it, if they keep sending second string sides maybe we can just get them to play the Brumbies at Canberra and let the wallabies relax :p .

Money and politics.

Well that reeks of arrogance... and bullshit... [/b][/quote]
Alright, my response was a fair bit over the top rereading your post... Was just on the defensive after reading BLR's crap about bandwagoners in Sydney.
You're right, they should send those NH touring sides to smaller stadiums like Canberra from now, because if they're not going to take us seriously then we might as well use it as an opportunity to spread games around. Actually f*** it, if they keep sending second string sides maybe we can just get them to play the Brumbies at Canberra and let the wallabies relax :p .
[/b][/quote]

They should be playing the Brumbies... I think they should be playing all of our Super 14 sides...

Bring back tours dammit!

Seriously though, the ARU has screwed over Canberra for years... we don't even get Australia A games... if JON had his way I'm sure we wouldn't even exist...

40,000 Kiwi's is not a large number. There are way more kiwis in Melbourne and much more again in Sydney. Anyway though, back to the point. Yes, melbourne is an AFL mad city and all the ethnics are soccer mad, but they're also vying for a rugby team now, are also the NRL champions and have a tonne of kiwis. If they really want rugby down there then they should support wholeheartedly what they get! They don't. Saying Melbourne isn't a fair comparison is beside the point. Nowhere is a fair comparison because you all have stuff all sport compared to Sydney! Melbourne is the closest thing, so that's why I pointed it out.[/b]
The Kiwi's over here have lived decades without hearing a thing about the rugby, I don't think you understand how much AFL has the media under its thumb. For example channel Seven was originally planning to show the Bledisloe at 12am while having Better Homes and Gardens, Princess Diaries 2 and some other crap movie on while the game was on. Their justification was that they wouldn't get enough viewers, they were subsequently bombarded by complaints which forced them to move it to about 10pm, after Princess Diaries 2. We are treated like crap as rugby fans and I know from experience that any kind of rugby we will get we eat up, for example look at our Super 14, test AND ARC crowds in relation to the rugby laden NSW fans.

By that same census there is 20,000 South African fans in Perth, yet we managed to pack out Subi, and I know for sure that a game against the All Blacks would pull the South Africans, much more Australians, tons of Kiwis and probably a fair few English as well. The numbers stack up and the decades of having rugby marginalised by the media has created a fortress kind of attitude among your average WA rugby fan, so I am absolutely sure we would pack out an Bledisloe game, hell, even the AFL supporters would come check it out.

By that same census there is 20,000 South African fans in Perth, yet we managed to pack out Subi, and I know for sure that a game against the All Blacks would pull the South Africans, much more Australians, tons of Kiwis and probably a fair few English as well. The numbers stack up and the decades of having rugby marginalised by the media has created a fortress kind of attitude among your average WA rugby fan, so I am absolutely sure we would pack out an Bledisloe game, hell, even the AFL supporters would come check it out. [/b]
Seriously sucks that they'd put that crap on over rugby, but as you say that's the environment over there I guess...
I have no dout in my mind that Perth would pack out a Bled, but what's the capacity of Subiaco? It's only a little over 40k right? and it's an oval AFL/cricket field. It just makes more financial sense to send the big games like that to the biggest stadiums. Are there any other really large stadiums in WA that you could use?

I have no dout in my mind that Perth would pack out a Bled, but what's the capacity of Subiaco? It's only a little over 40k right? and it's an oval AFL/cricket field. It just makes more financial sense to send the big games like that to the biggest stadiums. Are there any other really large stadiums in WA that you could use?
[/b]
Well with the stranglehold AFL has over here Subi is the only option, Members Equity has about 19 thousand and we were promised that would be upgraded to play the Force games on the rectangular pitch but AFL kicked up a fuss and now the money promised to us is being put into building a 'Multi Purpose' 60,000 seat stadium, costing 1.1 billion dollar that will be an absolute white elephant and for rugby fans will be much like Homebush, huge, rubbish and in the end will only suit AFL as they will kick up a fuss about damaged surface when we move to a rectangular configuration so that won't happen often.

The kicker is the time that they put on getting thier act together, 40,000 capacity by about 2014 with Subi demolished and then raised to 60,000 by 2016! So yeah, we won't be getting a Bledisloe any time soon, that's where the 'Money' part of my original post comes in.

Canberra doesn't get any games because we're a town of 300,000 people (which would mean to fill homebush we would need over a quarter of our population to turn up), and Canberra Stadium, whilst being a nice Rugby League/Union Stadium, is too small for any decent sized matches...

As for Perth, that's a silly idea...Sydney and Brisbane are the big Rugby Cities, and have been for a long time...

As of 2006 we had over 40,000 NZers in Perth, they are mad rugby fans, I know because my parents are ones. All the Kiwis I know are mad rugby fans and even the NZ Super 14 games have shown the type of crowds that we could possibly get for a Bledisloe. Melbourne does not compare to Sydney, Rugby is nothing in Melbourne compared to AFL and even football. When I went to the Bledisloe just about everyone there was tourists from NZ or other places around Australia, not a fair comparison.
[/b]

Do you support the AB's or the Wallabies?

As for the topic.. I believe Perth DO deserve a bledisloe game, infast I'd rather we stop playing these useless f***ing matches against NH sides, I'd prefer to have the All Blacks play the Wallabies more and have them play Aussie S14 sides. But unfortunetly, as I've been told, the rectangular stadium that was promised or some bs wont be happening and tearing down subi and building a new AFL stadium etc... they aint giving rugby a fair ago, it ****** me off just as it ****** you Force fans off, because from seeing the Force crowds you guys definetly deserve a big 40000 rectangle stadium at least... hearing about that and hearing about the shiteness of Homebush, just makes me feel bloody lucky to have a world class 50000 suncorp stadium and 40000 Gabba, which have great public transport to and from the stadiums.. heres hoping common sence avails and that upgrade SFS and make a rectangle stadium for Perth.

btw sansar it confuses me how they play AFL at homebush.. does the seating at both sides on the sideline change or something??

brisbane should always have a bledisloe cup game whenever there is 2 games on in australia. suncorp is one of the best stadiums ive been to, anz stadium in sydney is a joke of a place. it would be kool to see perth get a game

Latest posts