• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Phase 1: Brainstorming

S

Steve-o

Alright this thread is just basically where we'll throw our ideas together and get on the same page as to how we want this blog to be.

I'll be adding my list soon, I've been really busy recently with work and studying.

Talk away!

Will we be focusing on 1997's tour and the upcoming one only or how far back are we gonna go with the history of the Lions Tour of SA?

I was think we can focus on all of the previous Lions tour, the earlier ones will have less content and the content of the more recent tours will build up. I think 1997 should get alot of content on it.

I really want videos, so keep a look out of ANY Lions video you have against SA. It will be the best medium to show our members while also take a bit of work away from us as videos speak better than paragraphs if you get my drift.

So far, basically we'll need: (1) A video collector/composer (2) history researchers (3) article writers & (4) layout/editor.

When we get more material we can adapt those roles or completely change them, it'll all be very flexible.

Well Wikipedia has tons of info on the Lions Tour dating back to 1896!

here is a preview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1896_British_...to_South_Africa

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Tour overview

The squad had experience on their side in the shape of two veterans of the 1891 campaign, the captain Johnny Hammond and fellow forward Froude Hancock [1]. For the first time the squad also included a notable Irish contingent. Nine Irishmen were included in the touring party of 21. These included Tom Crean, Larry Bulger, Jim Sealy, Andrew Clinch and Louis Magee, all of whom had just helped Ireland win the 1896 Home Nations Championship. Robert Johnston had won two caps for Ireland in 1893. The other three - Arthur Meares, Cecil Boyd and Jim Magee, the brother of Louis – had not yet been capped by Ireland at the time of this tour. Crean and the Magee brothers were the only Catholics in the touring party and on the Sunday after they arrived, they begged to be excused from joining an excursion to Hout Bay. On being pressed for a reason for such a refusal, they shyly admitted that they had been three Sundays on board ship, without Mass, and they would like to attend church. The management committee replied that they could all go to their various churches if they pleased, and that the excursions would start afterwards [2][3][4][5].

Hammond's squad was considered to have an outstanding pack but be comparatively weak in the three-quarter line. Louis Magee and England full-back Fred Byrne were the stars of the backline, but it was a forward eight inspired by Tom Crean that laid the foundations for the teams success [6]. Hammond, was injured early in the tour and it was Crean who took over the role in his absence. The teams only draw came in an early game against Western Province. Before the game, the new Prime Minister of the colony, Sir Gordon Sprigg, insisted on entertaining the tour party in the grand manner of his predecessor, Cecil Rhodes. Crean, captain for the day, sensing a ruse, sternly warned his players to limit their lunchtime consumption to just four tumblers of champagne, but it would appear some lost count. They escaped with a lucky 0-0 draw, but in a later game a much more sober team avenged the result 32-0, their biggest win of the tour [7]. Facing a South Africa side captained by Ferdie Aston, brother of R.L. Aston, a member of the 1891 British team, the tourists dominated at forward throughout but could only score two tries in an 8-0 win. South Africa scored their first tries in international rugby in the second Test but still went down 17-8. In the third, the hosts actually led but were overhauled to go down 9-3, with Byrne kicking a conversion and a drop goal to set a record. He remained the only player to score 100 points while on tour in South Africa until 1960 when Don Clarke of New Zealand beat his record. South Africa improved, however, and won the final test 5-0 at Newlands. It was the previously flawless Byrne who lost possession to spark the attack from which Alf Larard scored the game's only try [8][9].

When the tour ended, both Crean and Johnston remained in South Africa. During the Second Boer War they both served with the Imperial Light Horse and were both subsequently awarded the Victoria Cross[10]. One member of the Lions squad, Cuth Mullins, was a South African who was studying at Oxford University. His brother, Charles Herbert Mullins, also won a VC during the same engagement as Johnston. The fly half, Rev. M.M Mullineux, was awarded the Military Cross in the First World War while another member of squad Walter Carey became the Archbishop of Bloemfontein [11]

[edit]
Touring Party
Head Coach: R. Walker
Captain: Johnny Hammond

[edit]
Full Backs
Fred Byrne (Moseley/England)

[edit]
Three-Quarters
Cecil Boyd (Dublin University)
Larry Bulger (Dublin University/Lansdowne/Ireland)
O.J. Mackie (Cambridge University)
Jim Magee (Bective Rangers)
C.O. Robinson (Northumberland)

[edit]
Half backs
S.P. Bell (Cambridge University)
Louis Magee (Bective Rangers/ London Irish/Ireland)
M.M. Mullineux (Blackheath)

[edit]
Forwards
Walter Carey (Oxford University)
Andrew Clinch (Dublin University/Ireland)
Tom Crean (Wanderers/Richmond/Ireland)
Johnny Hammond ((Cambridge University/ Blackheath)
Froude Hancock (Blackheath)
Robert Johnston (Wanderers/Ireland)
G.W. Lee (Rockcliff)
Arthur Meares (Dublin University)
W. Mortimer (Marlborough Nomads)
Cuth Mullins (Oxford University)
Jim Sealy (Dublin University/Ireland)
A.F. Todd (Blackheath)

[edit]
Results Score Opposition
Lions 14-9 Cape Town Clubs
Lions 8-0 Suburban Clubs
Lions 0-0 Western Province
Lions 11-9 Griqualand West
Lions 16-0 Griqualand West
Lions 26-3 Port Elizabeth
Lions 18-0 Eastern Province
Lions 8-0 South Africa (Port Elizabeth)
Lions 20-0 Grahamstown
Lions 25-0 King Williams Town
Lions 27-0 East London
Lions 25-0 Queenstown
Lions 7-0 Johannesburg-Country
Lions 16-3 Transvaal
Lions 18-0 Johannesburg-Town
Lions 16-5 Transvaal
Lions 17-8 South Africa (Johannesburg)
Lions 7-0 Cape Colony
Lions 9-3 South Africa (Kimberley)
Lions 32-0 Western Province
Lions 0-5 South Africa (Cape Town)[/b]

Just checked through a bit of info on wiki and other sites and there doesn't seem to be a lack of info on the previous tours.. I think we need to filler out what is important. For example, the Lions very 1st series victory, their biggest win and biggest loss.
Stuff that people want to read, some controversy also . The 99 call should be in there as well. I see there's a vid on it on youtube so we got that one covered already.

What I dont want happening is people copying and pasting, which will eventually make the blog 'wikipedia part 2'. Add a bit of your own writing flair, a bit of edge.

Quality over quantity must also been taken into account. We dont want a 5 page blog that reads like a history book. It must be short(ish) with the very best that Lions tours vs SA have to offer. The traditions, the rivalry and of course the epic battles on the field.

It shouldnt be to difficult to get the videos, i'll go and have a look for a few videos now. I know theres definetely one of Jim Telfer arguing with a Bok fan :lol:

So it sounds like everyone has the video part covered. What i think we need is a comprehensive program guide, with some info on all the teams participating, as well as the stadiums and locations all the games will be played in. Kind of like a really nice tour program. Tell me what you guys think, and i will start gathering info on all of the teams, venues, fixtures, and locations.

I like that idea Jer1cho! The idea has been bouncing around in my head as well, I remember we also touched on it in our phone call the other day. I don't think any forum members are going come down south but we have plenty of guests lurking around so I think its perfectly relevant.

I check there is, again, ample info so focus on it being light hearted and informative. And like I said before, add a little bit of personal 'flavour flav' :p .

Ok so, so far we got:

(1) Venue Reviews: General info, history with Lions games, small guide or something like that?

(2) Video Clips: There's so many out there we need to decide what must go in. Personally I think the 99 call is a MUST. That Telfer clip is an absolute peach as well. Guscotts last minute drop must be in as well. We need to search for more relevant ones as. Create a Word doc with links of the videos or bookmark them so after the brainstorming process we can get looked at.

Remember guys time is on our side so just keep plugging away at this in your free time and we'll be set by May easily.

Right heres all the videos i got

Lions vs Natal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOG7-sFOU4...feature=related

Lions vs Northern Traansval

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYuWBqibnQ4...feature=related

Lions forward meeting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHqw4XZhPE...re=channel_page

Jim Telfer arguing with a fan :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwYUZXzjKr0

Guscott winning drop goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyoGE001VTg

Lions pre match 1st test meeting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3S6iGmUjI

Thats all i could find, so just take whatever.

Thanks IS, every little bit helps.
I'm finding it quite hard to exclude any vids, imo all of them are perfect for this. I'm sure any real rugby enthusiast will love them all.

Sorry I haven't paid much attention to this recently. I won't bore you with details but after work and studying I have about 1 and a half hours free time, which as you can imagine I don't really want to spend in front of a pc. Things haven't been too hectic at work lately so I'll try sneak a few articles through this week off the work pc.

Latest posts