• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Picking up rugby this year

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
So it's been a few years since I last played rugby, and at the time I was but a young high school student who didn't know a whole lot about the game.

I've finally convinced myself to actually give it a go once more, perhaps just so that when I'm older and my body can't take too much physical activity I won't regret never properly playing the sport!

I'm aiming to get into an under 85kg grade (currently sitting at around 87kg) and I'd like to get a few tips on what kind of training/eating I should be looking at in the lead up to the season. I've put on a bit of a gut in the last year or two but I'm still fairly lean (just under six feet). I'll be playing in the backs (was a wing at school, mainly because I didn't really know enough to play anywhere else), I'd like to be in the midfield or at fullback. I've got a gym membership etc. so any tools I'll need I should have access to.

Any tips from y'all?

The more cardio work you put in now, the less you'll feel like death the first time you play again.

Do some sprints (5x 100 metres or 10x 50m 30-60s rest, for example) this will help with cardio, but importantly it'll also let you know whether you've picked up any flexibility problems since you last played.
If you then find that your hamstrings or your groin are particularly tight, then you can start a mobility routine to sort it before you start playing.

Rats' advice is gold! I am no physio expert but I have experience of trying to get back into the sport again; I stopped playing after school (18) and started again at age 26 and found it damn hard going. Fitness was a bigger problem for me than strength or speed per se so that's why I feel if I'd have had Rats' advice and followed it when I tried to get back in I'd possibly have managed better. I had 4 full games, found my lungs trying to get out of my chest each time and on the 4rth game when I picked up a fractured foot, a punch to the face and finally a dead arm (from the opposing hooker coming in with his knee to my arm while I was stuck in a ruck) I decided SA club rugby was too tough for me.

You might find it easier going than me though since you are that bit younger now than I was then and a slight gut shouldn't hold you back and since NZ has weight categories that should help as well. I found taking contact against guys upward of 130kg tough getting straight back in; it really is something the body needs to get used too especialy at an older age. So get stretching as well! I was also a winger in my school years and they put me in at lock so that made it just that much more difficult too deal with so don't let my bad experiences discourage you. Best of luck!!

The more cardio work you put in now, the less you'll feel like death the first time you play again.

Do some sprints (5x 100 metres or 10x 50m 30-60s rest, for example) this will help with cardio, but importantly it'll also let you know whether you've picked up any flexibility problems since you last played.
If you then find that your hamstrings or your groin are particularly tight, then you can start a mobility routine to sort it before you start playing.

^^This.

I stopped around 30 because of a back injury but decided to play socially again at about 33/34 and the biggest issue i had was my hamstrings. i ended up losing about 4-5 weeks at the beginning of the season as they just had nothing in them.

If you're not a fan of sprints get into playing touch - 6 down - as that is effectively the same but in a game environment.

First, good for you! Playing is a blast, way better than just watching.

Second, you guys have weight classes for rugby over there? I've never heard of that. Interesting.

One more vote for sprints. I usually do suicides, using the lines on the field (well actually just marked out on my yard). Sprint to one, hit the deck, run/jog back. The getting down and up kinda simulates breaking down, and it's surprisingly tiring even without having to ruck. I usually start off with one set of suicides, and continually add sets as I get fitter.

Or I would, if there wasn't 6" of snow on the ground <_<

The cardio work is good if you would play football/soccer, but for rugby you need more. If I have to give advice, I would say that you must focus on the legs. Many guys are very concerned about the upper body but is much more important the lower body, the ideal is to train both but if you don't have much time, no doubt, the main training should be the legs.

One of the most important exercises are the back squats:

I would say that's the most important exercise, you work almost every muscle. In rugby strong legs is very important for rucking, tackling, etc. If you have strength in the upper body but you have no strength in the lower body, then you will be weak, because the force is born in the legs, the legs are the largest and strongest muscle group in the body. If your physical condition is low, then you should start with light weight but you must do squats, and if your physical condition is very very bad, you should do only with the Olympic bar (weighs 20 kgs/ 44 lb).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, all very good tips. Thankfully I've been playing football and indoor netball for the last few years so I'm not completely unfit! That being said I certainly need to work on my fitness regardless.

In terms of weight classes, the only one that exists is under 85kg. If you're above that weight then you're in with the big boys, so I figure it's a good idea to at least get a season in where I'm not the lightest guy running around!

In terms of weight classes, the only one that exists is under 85kg. If you're above that weight then you're in with the big boys, so I figure it's a good idea to at least get a season in where I'm not the lightest guy running around!

Interesting idea. Do you have to weigh in before each game?

Hmm, that's only 187 lbs. I guess I'm one of the big boys! I certainly don't feel like it on the field...

Do functional training. Don't run around like a headless chicken

Strenght training 2 days per week; compounds movements (movements that implie more than one joint) as backs squats, deadlifts, pull ups, barbell rows, lunges.

Plus one day of specific conditioning

For example, this goes for my imitating my role as openside flanker. I do a light run so I can keep my body working, then I sprint 10-30 meters to a loaded olympic bar and perform a deadlift of 240 pounds. Why is it functional...'cause when I'm on the pitch, that is the game I have to have. Run, clean a ruck, retrieve the ball, etc

Latest posts