Piutau at Bristol

mania

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Samoa
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...onpound-man-but-who-hasnt-forgotten-his-roots

biggest shame here is charles played for the ABs. if he hadnt he could still be playing international rugby for tonga.

my son wants to be an allBlack but i pointed out to him that if he gets a huge offer from overseas (a father can dream cant he?) then he would be disadvantaged playing for the ABs . explained that if he took an overseas offer and then played for Samoa he could makes lots of money and still go to worldCups. he would just need to state early on in his contract that test rugby comes before club.

of course he did point out that i told him that rugby is the only sport in NZ that he can play professionally and stay in NZ.

As I understand it, he still could re-qualify for Tonga.
If my understanding is correct, then he needs to wait until 3 years after his last NZ cap (25/07/2015); apply to WR, and prove some formal link with Tonga (like being eligible to hold a passport); and then play in 3 7s events for Tonga.

I may be wrong about him needing to wait 3 years before starting the process; but he left NZ long enough ago that he's caught in the 3 year time-frame, not the 5 year one coming in soon.

Of course, he may not WANT to play for Tonga; or at least, want it less than he wants the extra $$$ available to him from playing club rugby instead.

Latest posts