• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

place kicking techniques ?

nato

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
I recently started place kicking and so far I have progressed a good bit, I'm happy with my follow through. But the technique I use I don't feel very comfortable with. I take 3 steps back and then 3 to the side. ( Btw I'm left footed ). I find that the ball always goes a bit crazy sometimes and can't get consistency. What techniques do you guys use and is there any tips you could give me?

Try out a load and do the one that feels best for you

I did this last week, started out with 3 back 2 to the side because that's what I've seen a load of people do before, but ended up with 4 back 1 to the side feeling a lot more natural to me

Everyone is different, so it's best to spend a little time finding which suits you best

Place kicking is very difficult and you just need to find a technique you feel totally comfortable with. I've been practicing for a few weeks now and I think I found a technique which makes my kicks consistent. You just need to try lots of different things, but only change 1 'variable' at the time. So, kick a couple of times with 2 different tees and choose which one feels better. Then try different run ups (length as wel as the angle). Then try to lean the ball forward or keep it almost straight up. Just keep doing what feels good/natural and get rid of what doesn't feel right. In the end you'll have your own way to place kick. Good luck!

As stated theres many things which come into kicking and its all about what you feel comfortable with.

Theres many different styles of tees you can use, pick one you think you'll be comfortable with and then just practice practice practice!

Its not about how hard you hit the ball, techinque is most important.

Latest posts