Place Kicking

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I started practicing place kicking recently. I've used a few different tee styles and I like the Rugbytech or optimum telescopic tees and was wondering if anyone had any advice on hoe to kick the ball further and more accurate. Thanks

I started practicing place kicking recently. I've used a few different tee styles and I like the Rugbytech or optimum telescopic tees and was wondering if anyone had any advice on hoe to kick the ball further and more accurate. Thanks

Guy I used to play with never used tee'. He insisted on using mounds of sand, went well, he went 11 games without missing a kick using samd.

Im just struggling to find the sweet spot. I see a lot of kickers pointing the ball towards the goal but i just cant hit its sweetly. I tend to kick it like a drop kick, the ball upright but to the back a bit.

Hi im new to this rugby forum site. Im wondering if any where has or knows where to buy a "Halligan 2000" kicking tee (yellow). desperatley need one and cant seem to find one anywhere. also if anyone has one i will pay good money for it haha. sweet thanks cheers

Colm you should take some lessons from the master of kicking mOssy o Sullivan. He uses his power and raw talent to knock it over the bar every time. You could learn a lot from him

Hey cmac95,

I hope your kicking is going well. Also thanks Olyy for linking up to my blog! :D

How is the kicking going? Hope you found some useful information in my blog and managed to improve your kicking to where you wanted to get yourself. I'm currently on hiatus from playing Rugby due to my final year of uni but in summer I will be producing a brand new blog focusing primarily on place kicking, as well as general fly half skills, fitness and weight training.

Hope you can stop by when its up and running!

Kicking isn't just about power and hitting the sweet spot. I once received a salutary lesson about this, while playing golf.

The 10th hole at Nelson (which in this case was the starting hole for the competition I was in) is a 508m Par 5 off the blue tees, with a dog-right at about 350m. So up to the tee I step, (in those days I was a pretty reasonable 10 handicapper; I pull out my TaylorMade R5 driver and smash my drive about 260m down the right side of the fairway, ending up in the light rough.

My opponent, a 14-year-old weedy looking schoolboy who would struggle to tip the scales at 7½ stone dripping wet, and with arms like broomsticks, steps up and, using an R5 of his own, and with a swing that appeared to deliver less than half the force of my effort, drives the ball a full 30m past mine and in the middle of the fairway! Very, very humbling!!

The lesson: It ain't about the power, its about the timing.

ha you were outkicked by a hooker

Hey cmac95,

I hope your kicking is going well. Also thanks Olyy for linking up to my blog! :D

How is the kicking going? Hope you found some useful information in my blog and managed to improve your kicking to where you wanted to get yourself. I'm currently on hiatus from playing Rugby due to my final year of uni but in summer I will be producing a brand new blog focusing primarily on place kicking, as well as general fly half skills, fitness and weight training.

Hope you can stop by when its up and running!

That blog was a huge help I use alot of the place kicking and kick off drills in their. My kicking has improved hugely I've increased my distance by about 15 yards and the hang time on kick offs by a few seconds and I'll take complete control of kicking next season like an out half should IMO. I'll definatly have a look at your blog this Summer as I'm going to try and bulk up a bit aswell.

Going to have a bash at getting my place kicking better over the summer,
1st, 2nd and 3rd choice kickers for my team graduate this year, so, depending how well I go in training, I fancy having a crack at that

Working on my drop goals/kicks as well atm, as I've ended up being the kicker for my 7s team

[Summer as I'm going to try and bulk up a bit aswell]
you'd bulk up if you went yo training its also great that you can now actually kick it 15 yards
:eek:

More Power

I have been practicing kicking for a while now and I have gotten pretty good at it but I would like to get more distance. Does anyone know of any techniques to add some? Preferably of a professional player because when I watched that James Hook video and analysed his kicking it really helped. Thanks.:D

Maybe work on leg strength and don't force it "the really good ones are never forced" according to RO'G

My summer place kicking practise starts today, I'm determined to become at least adequate in it :lol:

Latest posts