• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Play Offs !

slowprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Newcastle RU
I'm just looking at the latest table. Newcastle have 80 points compared to their nearest rival Bedford at only 55. If a team ends the season 30 or 40 points clear surely they should go up. This play off system is a nonesense. London Welsh were fourth last year for gods sake. Teams can stack their suides with dual registered players in positions where they are weak once they have reached the Play Off's.

How can teams plan for the future if they are not sure of going up until after the Play Off's ? Something as important as promotion should go to the best team over the season.

They playoffs are a joke and I agree the best side should go up. Yet there is an argument that if the best side is to go up then winning the 3 extra games wont be too difficult. Also, as we proved the year Exeter went up, you can't count your chickens yet. You may be top by a big distance but theres plenty of time to go and all it takes is an injury or two, an unlucky bounce and that means you dont go up.

Exeter were 3rd if I remember rightly and look at them now, in the HCup and they equitted themselves very well.

I agree, Newcastle have won the league and should be promoted just like Bristol should have been last season. 2 of the last three seasons Bristol have won the league and lost out in the play-offs, perhaps this year they can finish 4th and turn Newcastle over in the play-offs. That would be poetic justice but really the league winners should automatically be promoted. What I would love to see is the winners being promoted the bottom premier club relegated with the 2nd from bottom premier club being put in the championship play-offs with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th clubs. That would be great but the established big boys would'nt like that.

Latest posts