• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

** Players of the Decade 1999-2009 **

F

Fa'atau82

I thought i'd start this up. There have been 3 RWC's this decade and we have seen some real stars come and go from the international and club arena.

Looking back there have been some players who just have that x-factor written all over them.. question is, who do you think have been the REAL standout players over the past decade?

Here's some nominations off of the top of my head. I've probably missed out some players, so forgive me.. i was out of rugby from 2002 to 2006! fill in the blanks!

Fa'atau's Nomz:

New Zealand: Dan Carter, Carlos Spencer, Tana Umaga, Richie McCaw, Mils Muliaina, Joe Rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu..
South Africa: Os Du Randt, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger..
Australia: George Gregan, Elton Flatley, Matt Giteau..
France: Frederic Michalak, Vincent Clerc, Fabien Pelous, Yannick Jauzion, Christophe Dominici, Cedric Heymans..
Italy: Diego Dominguez, Martin Castrogiovanni, Alessandro Troncon, Mauro and Mirco Bergamasco..
England: Jonny Wilkinson, Jason Robinson, Richard Hill, Matt Dawson, Will Greenwood, Lewis Moody, Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dallaglio..
Wales: Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, Shane Williams..
Ireland: Keith Wood, Brian O'Driscoll..
Scotland: Chris Paterson, Bryan Redpath, Euan Murray.. f*** knows!
Argentina:J M Hernandez, Ignacio Corleto and so many more!
Samoa: Simo Sititi, Earl Va'a, Brian Lima, Alesana Tuilagi..
Fiji: Vilimone Delasau, Rupeni Caucaunibuca 'Caucau', Norman Ligairi, Simon Raiwalui, Seru Rabeni..
Rest of the World: Pierre Hola, Finau Maka, Daisuke Ohata, Rodrigo Capo Ortega, Kirill Kulemin, Todd Clever, Mike Hercus, Mike McDonald, Jamie Cudmore, Oriol 'raspberry' Ripol, Kees Lensing, Marius Tincu and many many more..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Dec 19 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought i'd start this up. There have been 3 RWC's this decade and we have seen some real stars come and go from the international and club arena.

Looking back there have been some players who just have that x-factor written all over them.. question is, who do you think have been the REAL standout players over the past decade?

Here's some nominations off of the top of my head. I've probably missed out some players, so forgive me.. i was out of rugby from 2002 to 2006! fill in the blanks!

Fa'atau's Nomz:

New Zealand: Dan Carter, Carlos Spencer, Tana Umaga, Richie McCaw, Mils Muliaina, Joe Rokocoko, Ma'a Nonu..
South Africa: Os Du Randt, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger..
Australia: George Gregan, Elton Flatley, Matt Giteau..
France: Frederic Michalak, Vincent Clerc, Fabien Pelous, Yannick Jauzion, Christophe Dominici, Cedric Heymans..
Italy: Diego Dominguez, Martin Castrogiovanni, Alessandro Troncon, Mauro and Mirco Bergamasco..
England: Jonny Wilkinson, Jason Robinson, Richard Hill, Matt Dawson, Will Greenwood, Lewis Moody, Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dallaglio..
Wales: Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, Shane Williams..
Ireland: Keith Wood, Brian O'Driscoll..
Scotland: Chris Paterson, Bryan Redpath, Euan Murray.. f*** knows!
Argentina:J M Hernandez, Ignacio Corleto and so many more!
Samoa: Simo Sititi, Earl Va'a, Brian Lima, Alesana Tuilagi..
Fiji: Vilimone Delasau, Rupeni Caucaunibuca 'Caucau', Norman Ligairi, Simon Raiwalui, Seru Rabeni..
Rest of the World: Pierre Hola, Finau Maka, Daisuke Ohata, Rodrigo Capo Ortega, Kirill Kulemin, Todd Clever, Mike Hercus, Mike McDonald, Jamie Cudmore, Oriol 'raspberry' Ripol, Kees Lensing, Marius Tincu and many many more..[/b]
Great list, I have a few additions myself. (Without people who stopped being as good as they were in the 90's so no Lomu, Marshall, Mehrtens, Cullen etc).

New Zealand:: Tana Umaga, Daniel Carter, Richie McCaw, Joe Rokocoko, Mils Muliaina, Carlos Spencer, Jerry Collins, Carl Hayman and many more.
South Africa:eek:s du Randt, Bakkies Botha, Shulk Burger, Victor Matfield, Brian Habana, Percy Montgomery
Australia:George Gregan, Steven Larkham, Sterline Mortlock, George Smith, Lote Tuqiri, Matt Gireau
France: Yannick Jauzion, Cedric Heymans, Fabien Pelous, Serge Betsen.
Italy: Martin Castrogiovanni, Mirco Bergamasco
England: Johnny Wilkinson, Richard Hill, Martin Johnson, Jason Robinson, Lawrence Dallaglio, Josh Lewsey
Wales:Steven Jones, Gavin Henson, Martyn Williams, Shane Williams, Tom Shanklin
Ireland: Keith Wood, Brian O'Driscol, Paul O'Connell
Scotland: Mike Blair, Chris Cusiter
Argentina: Juan Martin Hernandez, Fillipe Contepomi, Manuel Contepomi, Ignacio Corleto, Agustin Pichot, Mario Ledesma
Samoa:Brian Lima, David Lemi, Simo Sititi, Alesana Tuilagi, Lome Fa'atau
Fiji: Rupeni Caucaunibuca, Vilimone Delasau, Napolioni Nalaga, Mosese Rauluni, Sireli Bobo
Tonga: Finau Maka
USA: Todd Clever, Takudzwa Ngwenya
Japan: Daisuke Ohata

I found myself clutching at straws in saying I thought they are all amazing players. I'd pick most of the AB's, Springboks and Wallabies un-named over many of the second tier "stars". Anyway, simular list. Tempted on to put down many more All Blacks and Springboks, but I left that with a (many more) comment.

Off the top of my head you can simply stick in O'Driscoll and Parisse as the Irish and Italian player. No other player comes close so no debate to be had.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 19 2009, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Off the top of my head you can simply stick in O'Driscoll and Parisse as the Irish and Italian player. No other player comes close so no debate to be had.[/b]
Yeah, well I didn't want to come off as a bias c*nt. And to be fair, if Daisuke Ohata makes the list, I'm sure the have been a few better Irish players. O'Gara? lolz.

Alot of these players seem like players who have stood out, which is a tougher job for an AB to do then a player playing from The Democratic Republic of the Congo, so it is hard to compare.

Well, in my mind it's players (mainly at international level) who have given something to the game. It might be a moment in a game, or a game you'd remember them from.. or just because they've been around since you can remember.

I think Ohata has the world try scoring record (not a real barometer of his talent i guess).. and i tried to give as many nations as possible. Obviously, not the Bahamas (sorry bahamas, it's not personal!) but players you remember from over the past 10 years. You could have O'Gara.. he has had his good moments of course, and his absolute shockers (don't look surprised lol).. but overall i think O'Gara could be in the list.. i'm just trying to start a debate. O'Gara would definitely incite a few pole to pole opinions!

Some special mentions from me are:

Chris Jack
Juan Smith
Simon Shaw
John Smit
Rocky Elsom
Chris Latham
Francois Steyn (Love him or hate him, he is one unique player)
Frederich Michelak
Sebastien Chabal
Jason Robinson

I'd put Anthony Foley in ahead of O'Gara but both would be a bit behind O'Driscoll.

The English one looks interesting. Jason Robinson, Wilko, Johno, and Hill. How do you seperate those four? All four of them (in their pomp) were the best players in the world, in their respective positions. You could possibly rule out Wilko as his career was impacted by injuries but Robinson had the feet, Johnson the leadership, and Hill had the recognition of his peers. So Robinson loses out because hes a league convert, which leaves Johnson and Hill. You'd have to pick Johnson as he lifted the trophy.

Scotland I've actually been struggling to name a player worth mentioning at all. Jason White would be the one obvious choice for me.

France has selected about 7000 players this decade. How are you meant to choose one? Pelous would be the soft option but I'd imagine there would have to be better choices. Would love to hear from a French poster or two about this one.

I'd throw in Califano as a nomination for the French.. I always thought he was an immense player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 18 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
John Eales was more 90's no?[/b]
Well yer I know, but he still lead Australia to a World Cup and Lions series win during this period. Can you let me have it pweeez?

Few I would like to add

New Zealand: Leon MacDonald, Reuben Thorne, Keven Mealamu
South Africa: Corne Krige, Breyton Paulse, Bobby Skinstad, Joost van der Westhuizen
Australia: Matt Burke, Phil Waugh, Nathan Sharpe
France: Raphael Ibanez, Pieter de Villiers
Italy: Fabio Ongaro, Paul Griffen, Andrea Lo Cicero
England: Jason Leonard, Neil Back
Wales: Colin Charvis, Gareth Thomas
Ireland: Shane Byrne, John Hayes, Denis Hickie
Scotland: Gordon Bulloch, Gregor Townsend, Scott Murray
Argentina: Federico Mendez, Omar Hasan
Canada: Rod Snow, Ed Fairhurst
Georgia: David Zirakashvili, David Khinchagashvili
Namibia: Jacques Burger, Hakkies Husselman, Piet van Zyl

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 18 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Reuben Thorne? Phil Waugh? Really?[/b]

Yes REALLY!

Reuben Thorne got 50 caps for the All Blacks and 129 caps for the Crusaders, plus he was an excellent leader.He captained the Crusaders to an undefeated Super 12 season in 2002.And he also captained the All Blacks 22 times, loosing only 3 games.So I think he deserves to be named.

Phil Waugh is a true warrior, end of story!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 18 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 18 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reuben Thorne? Phil Waugh? Really?[/b]

Yes REALLY!

Reuben Thorne got 50 caps for the All Blacks and 129 caps for the Crusaders, plus he was an excellent leader.He captained the Crusaders to an undefeated Super 12 season in 2002.And he also captained the All Blacks 22 times, loosing only 3 games.So I think he deserves to be named.

Phil Waugh is a true warrior, end of story!
[/b][/quote]
Wharreva pal!! :D

Latest posts