• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Playing at 6

Kdog

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Weeks ago I got taken onto my regional U17 team as a front row(where I am still playing for my club) after a couple of weeks and a ten a side tournament later it was decided that It would be better if i was moved to the backrow as they think I am not broad enough to play proper.
What should I be doing playing as a 6? I generally run with the ball and run lines anyway but is there anything particular I should do to standout in our match tomorrow should I get a run?

Whoever plays 6 should make more tackles than anyone else. When I played there I wasn't the biggest (I'm now a wing) but size doesn't matter so much if you rush up in people's faces and knock them over. So, a good 6 puts in a lot of tackles.

Otherwise, it's called 'blindside flanker' for a reason. You're often on the 'blind' side of the ref, which means you can frequently get away with little infringements, especially on offensive scrums if your backs go blind, you can really open up space just by slyly holding back their 6 from joining the defence. Basically, it's easier to cheat and get away with it.

Otherwise, do standard flanker stuff like ballcarrying, support other runners, and scrap for turnovers.

You should want to kill people and be striving your utmost to do so allowed in the laws of rugby. Since they don't really allow you to you won't actually kill anyone, which is good, but it should get the right levels of aggression up.

I personally like playing 6 but its a bit of a tricky one as I have been taught a few contradicting rules to playing there regarding actually defending the "blind"

1st. I was told to play as basically another 7 don't do anything different barr getting loose earlier off scrums.

Then I was told that my duty is in fact to defend to blind side not just during but after a scrum to stop any big loopey run back in there and so I was given the Rule that don't move from the area of where the scrum was until three passes have gone out the backline and you're sure their going wide or a phase has already passed and defenders have filtered in.

Firstly when your blind defending and you know a big 8 is gong to run at you break early and get outside him the idea is to offer him your shoulder near the scrum which 8's for some reason love taking if he does that your settled for a big hit if you get under him and your 8 is in a lovely position to strip the ball.

As GG said you want to really tackle a massive count and be the team workhorse , best of luck.

If you're gonna be a ball carrying 6 just make sure you're as close to the ball as possible when your team's in possession. When you're defending make sure your first tackle is big 1 (same for all positions) that way no1 will want to carry the ball anywhere near you :-D. Try not to get sucked into too many rucks and mauls when you're defending and if you end up trying to defend against an overlap on the short side don't be afraid to shout and scream until your teammates fill any gaps in the line.

thanks this has all been really helpful. I'll let ye know how i get on

No I'm playing club with Waterpark. And it's for east munster not munster

by ran i mean i covered ground and ran too rucls

Good start. You can never work too hard as a flanker. Good luck!

Latest posts