Playing Prop! Help!

Alfonso

Academy Player
Country Flag
Italy
Club or Nation
Benetton
Lads, need some urgent help :D

Those of you who helped me in my other post will know that I'm kinda new to the game and it looks like I'll be playing prop. Sunday I have my first competitive game with only a few training sesions under my belt..
I know the basics, i know my role as a prop but I'm not Sure about my position on the pitch in open play.
In my last training sesion one of my coaches instructed me to drift behind our line of atack, give people options by running on a ball with pace or running with someone to drive them forward or ruck over them when they go down.. Well thats my interpritation of it anyway..
Are there any props on here who could give me some help here?

Cheers

Ehm we don't actually do much in the open. Scrummaging will be the hardest part, what side are you playing as a matter of interest?

In the open be a willing carrier for the hard yards, provide options the inside option off the 10 is a good lazy option which works really well in holding defenses. If it's backs ball basically get the **** out of the way is always been what I've been told. Hit loads of rucks but if there's enough there already do not go near it you'll just slow it down. That's pretty much it on attack.

In defense push people out and defend either pillar 1,2 or 3 you don't want to get caught flat footed in the midfield.

I havent really got a side yet haha
Yeah i got told to get out of the way a couple lf times..
Could you explain pillar 1, 2 and 3? I've never heard that term
Thanks!

Pillar and Gate.

defence2.jpg

The man at the gate will stand behind the ruck in-between the two pillars.

Pillar and Gate.

defence2.jpg

The man at the gate will stand behind the ruck in-between the two pillars.

Been playing rugby for about 8 years and I've never heard of these terms :lol:

And in response to the main question, defend narrow so the backs can't make a fool of you.

In attack... Just be there for the short pass from 9 or 10 to make a couple of yards. Or if your scrum half wants a pick-and-drive you should be first in line (as one of the bigger guys).

In attack, all depends on situation.

If the ball is slow you need to be at the ruck for a pick up and drive / go. Or behind the 10 (not to deep, say two arm lengths from him) either on his left shoulder or right shoulder to offer him options. You can stand just off the 9 but not in the way of the 10 as a decoy / player who takes the crash ball up.

When there is quick ball for the backs make sure you are not in their way. Remember you don't have to hit every ruck, e.g. if a ruck occurs on one side of the the field and the next ruck is on the far side of the pitch then you are not expected to run all the way over there to clear the ruck. If this is the case make your way towards going behind the 10. That way if you are needed at the breakdown then 9 / 10 will tell you. A good 9/10 will advise you where he will want you also.

Or you can play like me.

Stand around looking mean and scary, making the opposition wet themselves at the prospect of having to face you when you inevitably get involved.

The secret is, you never do...

Or you can play like me.

Stand around looking mean and scary, making the opposition wet themselves at the prospect of having to face you when you inevitably get involved.

The secret is, you never do...

Love it.

Cheers for the advice fella's, I'll try my best on Sunday but my experience is limited, Only been involved in a ruck about three times.. carrying on with my research though, stalking youtube for how-to video's!

Advice for the scrum tends to hold up in the rucks... You want a straight back and the lower you can get, the harder you'll be able to drive out. That said, 90% of the ruck is getting there and cheating as much as possible before the ref spots anything :lol:

Advice for the scrum tends to hold up in the rucks... You want a straight back and the lower you can get, the harder you'll be able to drive out. That said, 90% of the ruck is getting there and cheating as much as possible before the ref spots anything :lol:
So basicly..- Cheat- Get out of the way- Scare people- Minimum involvement? Aha ;)

Latest posts