• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Plymouth Albion

Smithy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Plymouth
Just felt the forum needed to mention Plymouth Albion. After failing to win a league game in the first four months of the season, Albion made it two home wins on the bounce in really difficult conditions at Brickfields with a bonus point win against fifth place Rotherham, following victory against Moseley.

In the midst of this, Albion confirmed they won't be entering administration. Great effort from the club and community! And a big thanks for all the support from rugby fans from all over the country! :D

Awesome to hear! Glad things have gotten better for them. I saw Beukeboom got MOTM recently, how's his play been recently?

He was excellent against Rotherham, superb in long periods of defense. I'm not sure how he did as the game wore on, I couldn't make players out it was so muddy! He's become an important leader for us.

Just felt the forum needed to mention Plymouth Albion. After failing to win a league game in the first four months of the season, Albion made it two home wins on the bounce in really difficult conditions at Brickfields with a bonus point win against fifth place Rotherham, following victory against Moseley.

In the midst of this, Albion confirmed they won't be entering administration. Great effort from the club and community! And a big thanks for all the support from rugby fans from all over the country! :D

I must admit that when the news of the possible points deduction first appeared, I didn't think it would make a lot of difference as Albion were gone anyway. What a difference a few weeks makes, the club's destiny (in league status terms anyway) is very much in their own hands now. Well done to all involved.

IMO the best news is seeing some new blood co-opted onto the board. Graham Sterling has now gone cap in hand asking supporters to cover his board's over spending twice, the sooner he is replaced the better IMO, the third time might not be a charm for the long term future of the club.

Edit: The lack of interest in this thread is quite frightening. It's no wonder Championship sides are struggling when a thread like this is ignored of a forum of supposed rugby aficionados.

Last edited:
I must admit that when the news of the possible points deduction first appeared, I didn't think it would make a lot of difference as Albion were gone anyway. What a difference a few weeks makes, the club's destiny (in league status terms anyway) is very much in their own hands now. Well done to all involved.

IMO the best news is seeing some new blood co-opted onto the board. Graham Sterling has now gone cap in hand asking supporters to cover his board's over spending twice, the sooner he is replaced the better IMO, the third time might not be a charm for the long term future of the club.

Edit: The lack of interest in this thread is quite frightening. It's no wonder Championship sides are struggling when a thread like this is ignored of a forum of supposed rugby aficionados.

Absolutely spot on!

What say you Smithy? Are Albion going to stay up this season? Doncaster have a tough run in and are looking like they're running out of steam having stretched their limited resources a bit too thin with their good cup run. With Albion facing Moseley and Doncaster on the last two weekends of the season, it's not too far from 50/50 for me.

Also, what do you make of Shanners' position now that Dave is back involved on the rugby front?

He was excellent against Rotherham, superb in long periods of defense. I'm not sure how he did as the game wore on, I couldn't make players out it was so muddy! He's become an important leader for us.

Good to hear, if he keeps improving his work rate that is a good sign for Canada as well. We need him to take the step up, especially with Cudmore fading.

What say you Smithy? Are Albion going to stay up this season? Doncaster have a tough run in and are looking like they're running out of steam having stretched their limited resources a bit too thin with their good cup run. With Albion facing Moseley and Doncaster on the last two weekends of the season, it's not too far from 50/50 for me.

Also, what do you make of Shanners' position now that Dave is back involved on the rugby front?

It's great to now think we can stay up! For so long win less, it was only the Lienster defeat in October which gave me any realistic hope of survival, which faded in early 2015, but now I do believe with the momentum rolling and slightly easier run in than Donny that we'll edge it, Scottish in two weeks is a big one at the Brickfields, they smashed us at their place and look in good nick, would be great to keep the momentum rolling even if just with a bonus point defeat.

Doncaster are the targets, with them coming to us on the final day, think Moseley have just enough to stay up, could be wrong.

Looking forward to seeing how that one plays out, they've been working together recently so I think Shanner will remain in his post, and the two can hopefully keep us up.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear, if he keeps improving his work rate that is a good sign for Canada as well. We need him to take the step up, especially with Cudmore fading.

He does have the quality to move up, how much further I'm not sure.

I am surprised to see Doncaster struggling at the bottom, off the field they have a great set up and some good fans.

I have heard about suggestions of Rotherham & Doncaster merging because of ***ans having issues about a potential home as owners of Clifton Lane are basically making life hard for them so idea is to create a South Yorkshire club and play at Doncaster ground but don't think fans of either club will be happy with that even if it is best option.

Plymouth I think will be fine, seem to be gathering momentum at right time where as Doncaster are in one massive rut at moment.

Looks like we got our way Smithy:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Ent...tory-25987109-detail/story.html#ixzz3QzMd5non

- - - Updated - - -

I am surprised to see Doncaster struggling at the bottom, off the field they have a great set up and some good fans.

Given the gap between National One and The Championship and the fact that Doncaster had to scrap to get back up, it's not that surprising. Doncaster may have good fans, but there's not that many of them (a problem shared by all clubs outside Bristol and maybe Worcester these days). Castle Park sounds like a great ground, but is it an asset to the club in terms of generating revenue?

We've heard how Buekeboom is doing but what about our boy Andrew Tiedemann? I've read he's a regular starter but we don't really get a chance to watch RFU Championship play here in Canada. Also can anyone tell me more about this Mark Kohler guy.

I'm glad that Plymouth is finally starting to turn things around and are avoiding administration. Back around Christmas I thought for sure they were done now they are clicking. I'm rooting for both them and Doncaster find a way to stay up since they are giving Canadians playing time.

Given the gap between National One and The Championship and the fact that Doncaster had to scrap to get back up, it's not that surprising. Doncaster may have good fans, but there's not that many of them (a problem shared by all clubs outside Bristol and maybe Worcester these days). Castle Park sounds like a great ground, but is it an asset to the club in terms of generating revenue?

Castle park is good for them but like you say they really don't get the backing to make a challenge for promotion, I think if they did merge with Rotherham it would be a lot better in long run.

Castle park is good for them but like you say they really don't get the backing to make a challenge for promotion, I think if they did merge with Rotherham it would be a lot better in long run.

I'd imagine that rugby in Yorkshire is every bit as parochial as it is here in Cornwall. That being the case, I'd be surprised to see a merger. Talk about this has gone quiet for the last couple of weeks, but the last time I read about it, the only viable options presented for Rotherham involved (shock horror) a move to Sheffield!

Think Rotherham and Doncaster offer a joint season ticket, idea being you watch whichever one's at home, so not that parochial, but that's still a fair way from being ready to merge..

Think Rotherham and Doncaster offer a joint season ticket, idea being you watch whichever one's at home, so not that parochial, but that's still a fair way from being ready to merge..

Didn't know that. Question is, how many people take advantage of it though!

Think we jinxed Albion boys! Four points for both Donny and Mose this afternoon makes Albion's task look pretty daunting once again.

Hi, I have a question.
Which is popular in Plymouth, Rugby Union (Plymouth Albion) or Football (Plymouth Argyle)?

Hi, I have a question.
Which is popular in Plymouth, Rugby Union (Plymouth Albion) or Football (Plymouth Argyle)?

GREEN ARMY!

I am actually a big Plymouth Argyle supporter and it is the football, even if we are lingering in League Two.

Hi, I have a question.

7.4k average home attendance for Argyle versus 1.7K home attendance for Albion gives a clue!

Latest posts