• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CowshedColin

Academy Player
Increasing the number of points for a try to 5 was supposed to encourage attacking Rugby, and up to a point it did, but I can't be the only fan who much prefers watching a well worked free flowing try rather than a "Catch and drive" or "Rolling Maul" try. I even get sniffy when one or more teammatea push the ball carrier over the line for a score. I would therefore advocate a change to the points system:

1. Where a player touches down in accordance with rule(s) (……..), and without being in physical contact with, and without being propelled, protected or shielded by, one or more players of his*/her* own side, the try shall be worth 6 points. Conversion of such a try shall be worth 2 points.

2. Where a player touches down in accordance with rule(s) (……..) while being in physical contact with, or being propelled, protected or shielded by, one or more players of his*/her* own side, the try shall be worth 3 points. Conversion of such a try shall be worth 1 point.

Penalty tries – 8 or 4 points? I suppose if it is awarded for illegally bringing down a Rolling Maul and stopping a 3 point try, then the answer would be 4 points. It would have to depend on the offence.

More work for the TMO? Perhaps, but for the vast majority of tries the decision would be clearcut and instantaneous, made by the referee.

Nah. 40 phase tries where the team gradually drives up the field and finally get over the line are just as/more intense than breakaway tries that have been worked out wide. Forwards grafting meters is a huge part of rugby, it's what separates it from League. Would be stupid IMO to encourage getting rid of it.

Would also be an absolute nightmare to referee, especially at amateur level.

I definitely agree. I find all those tries where a player intercepts a ball to be so boring to watch. But those that really are hard work are the ones I like the most.

Nah. 40 phase tries where the team gradually drives up the field and finally get over the line are just as/more intense than breakaway tries that have been worked out wide. Forwards grafting meters is a huge part of rugby, it's what separates it from League. Would be stupid IMO to encourage getting rid of it.

Would also be an absolute nightmare to referee, especially at amateur level.

An exeter fan would say that.

Why should a team be rewarded more points if the opposition missed a tackle or have a slower winger which results in a breakout try. Whereas a driving maul, or a pick and drive for many phases eventually results in a try, is where both teams are equally matched on attack and defence and in the end is more about technique, willpower and concentration.

Surely the hard worked tries should be rewarded more than the breakout tries???

Why should a team be rewarded more points if the opposition missed a tackle or have a slower winger which results in a breakout try. Whereas a driving maul, or a pick and drive for many phases eventually results in a try, is where both teams are equally matched on attack and defence and in the end is more about technique, willpower and concentration.

Surely the hard worked tries should be rewarded more than the breakout tries???
Don't think that's his point.
Regardless or merit, he just wants a system that rewards more the type of tries he finds entertaining to watch (again, regardless or merit, effort or skill).

I disagree with him, but i understand his point.

Don't think that's his point.
Regardless or merit, he just wants a system that rewards more the type of tries he finds entertaining to watch (again, regardless or merit, effort or skill).

I disagree with him, but i understand his point.

But what is entertaining to one person isn't always entertaining to the next person. Grind out tries for me is most of the time even more thrilling than a breakout try, because the buildup to the try is so intense.

Latest posts