Is darts a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What is darts?

• Total voters
To help you answer this question I have added some pictures of some of the elite darts players.....
article-1111161-0300AB1A000005DC-698_306x483.jpg

078fordham2_468x469.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 6 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wikipedia says it is, and we all know Wikipedia is never wrong.[/b]
True, you find it on wikipedias list of sports after bear-baiting and canary fighting, but before fox hunting and kite-fighting ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 6 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To help you answer this question I have added some pictures of some of the elite darts players.....
article-1111161-0300AB1A000005DC-698_306x483.jpg

078fordham2_468x469.jpg
[/b]

Good god i have never seen a finer pair of Athletes in all my years. Usain Bolt be damned.

You can just tell that they are the sort of elite sportsmen in the Jim Thorpe / Steve Nash / Martin Donnelly mold, who have the natural ability and cross transferable skills to succeed in any sport.

I'm in awe quite frankly.

It is. It requires physical skill and the winner is determined in an objective fashion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 6 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is. It requires physical skill and the winner is determined in an objective fashion.[/b]

I dont know i just feel uneasy about acknowledging tubby up there as being an elite athlete.

I see your definition as defining a game, such as darts or pool or a literal ******* contest. just my opinion, there should be more of a distinction between games and sport.

What I all ways find annoying as a "sport" is Bodybuilding, I mean there is not doubt it takes alot of effort, however the results are extemely opinion based, and there is no clear winner. At least in darts the decision can be put down to points.

Oh and "darters" figure is a cross combination of that of professional bowlers and pie eating champions.

I'm sure I saw a darts championship on espn one day a few weeks ago so I guess it is a sport. That big dude looks like earthquake from WWF back in the day if anyone can remember.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 6 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure I saw a darts championship on espn one day a few weeks ago so I guess it is a sport. That big dude looks like earthquake from WWF back in the day if anyone can remember.[/b]
:lol:
I once watched "professional" tiddly winks and paper, scissors, rock on ESPN (no I am not joking) complete with hyperbole-loving American commentary. Not sure if coverage by ESPN qualifies something as a sport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 6 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a sport - it has competitions. And it's a great night out. I go and watch the Premier League every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fppvy52FbIg

Anyone who has voted no is clueless.[/b]

I'm not sure it's related.

You have poker comps, but that doesn't make Poker a sport. A game yes, but not a sport. I would say Sport is any game that requires a reasonable amount of physical exercice to be accomplished.

Poker is a game, Rugby is a sport, and Trekking is a physical activity.

It's an interesting one. It takes a huge amount of skill, theres no denying that. I consider myself half decent at darts (as in can hit the nuber I want 6/10 times), but hitting trebbles consistently is on another level entirely.

In some ways, being heavy could be an advantage for darts. Low centre of gravity, less wobble, steadier hand etc. etc.

I'm not sure if it should be classed a sport, I'm not really fussed. I suppose it's more of a game that a sport. Hard to judge. Can be great to watch though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 6 2009, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 6 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is. It requires physical skill and the winner is determined in an objective fashion.[/b]

I dont know i just feel uneasy about acknowledging tubby up there as being an elite athlete.

I see your definition as defining a game, such as darts or pool or a literal ******* contest. just my opinion, there should be more of a distinction between games and sport.
[/b][/quote]

You don't necessarily have to be an elite athlete to be an elite sportsman. Stephen Lee is a fat ******* but he definitely has one of the best cue actions in snooker, very much making him an elite sportsman, same applies with golf and darts, it's not just physical conditioning that makes a sportsmen. There's no way Phil Taylor, Raymond van Barneveld and James Wade are not elite sportsmen. Look at the skill of them first of all, but the number of hours they put into their training as well, it's not as if they're just showing up for a game of darts, picking up a check and saying cheerio.

Latest posts