• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pontypridd continue campaign to ruin regional rugby

Agreed. Regional rugby was the right idea but the clubs benefactors/boards were unhappy about losing the history, rather than focusing on making it. Worldwide similar transitions have been very successful when everyone pulls together. In Wales, that mentality was not there and in some places still isn't!

I would have loved to have seen Cardiff and Ponty merge. It would have been very strong at the time.

We are, however, where we are and it may be a chance to adopt a forward thinking mindset one day when this tribalism slowly fades.

The argument against the use of the counties names were the fact that two Glamorgans would be to similar, which makes it very difficult from a marketing and brand identity perspective. From what's been said over the years, they wanted to retain the original identities to ensure the strength of the brand to the supporters I.e Llanelli or Cardiff (rightly or wrongly) due to both traditional values, a lack of flexibility and fear of the unknown.

I think you still would have the same problem in mid Glamorgan to - the warriors demise - and you'd be in the same situation now where Ponty and Bridgend would be floating.

Even as a Cardiff RFC supporter, I think Glamorgan should have been a region as a whole and a new stadium built to accommodate with an infrastructure allowing the whole region to travel to it easily. A new identity, a new start, a very large fan base and the ability to set up the academy bases north and south (as it is now). The only shame is the loss of the Cardiff City Centre factor which is a massive draw for the fans.

Some people have some ridiculously rose tinted glasses about Welsh rugby.

I have heard a handful of rugby pundits/journalists now (pretty much all the idiotic ones such as Healey, Stephen Jones, Paul Morgan, Eddie Butler) saying that regional rugby isn't working and we need to go back to clubs.

This is just plain stupid.

Whilst you see a load of Welsh players leaving the regions now and the depth of quality amongst the four teams much more stretched. Well the quality if it were more teams would be even more stretched and we would just end up with a few Connachts and dozen Zebres.

Also some seem to forget, at the backend of the club rugby game in Wales. Wales were crap. It was with the club game in process Wales lost all the 6 Nations matches in 2003, didn't win a Grand Slam for dozens of years.

And also the club sides were far from competitive on European level, Neath lost to Calvisano, Swansea lost 51-10 to Leinster, Newport lost 70-18 to Toulouse, Cardiff lost 75-25 to Biarritz, Caerphilly lost 20-73 to Harlequins.

All those teams were broke also, so if you think the regional sides struggle to keep players, then those club sides would lose players to an even greater level.

Going back to clubs is a dim witted idea, and hopefully nobody with rose tinted glasses should get anywhere near making it happen.

Exactly. Little clubs will have no chance to compete on the big stage if our regions can't. It is just going to take better player management between the clubs and WRU, and a shift in the fanbase.

Time to update that sig, Duck!

Maybe the WRU should have more control over the regions. The WRU are far from perfect, but I just want the current out of date regional board members eradicated from regional rugby. They were only good for one thing, and that was their money, which they no longer give. Get rid of the current coaching set-ups at the region and get people in who have experience. The Ospreys may have stumbled across a decent coach in Tandy (it's a bit early to tell), but the regions are full of 'jobs for the boys' type coaches (Tandy at the O's; Easterby, Mark Jones etc. at the Scarlets; Rush and co at the Blues; Darren Edwards at the Dragons). They are not good enough, and are hampering Welsh rugby. Develop Welsh coaches in the Premiership, not at the regions!

Just to let you guys know. Caerphilly went on the outscore Quins in the reverse fixture, sadly they missed virtually every kick haha.

Latest posts