• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

pool of death?

Hi. I think it'is the most difficult pool of this world cup. I don't unterstand why 3 of the 8 best nation in rugby play in the same pool.. it is one problem of the new system because if there are 5 pool of 4 nation the problem don't exist.
What do you prefer this system or the old system?[/b]

The system won't be used in the next world cup, the draw will be based on world rankings apparently so we should get a fairer pool draw in four years time. I can't see the top nations voting to go back to the system from 99 as it could mean having a playoff 3 or 4 days before a quarter final.

I like it..provides those nations with a huge amount of pressure and the one that win from this pool has a great chance of winning the whole tournament...

Melhor Time was 100% correct in saying Ireland won't make the playoffs and Argentina will. Infact the post of mine, which I have kindly posted below in bold, turned out to be dead set correct. It was made on July 29.

Sorry to the Irish if you are hurting but hey I warned you!

It was an outstanding performance from Brian O'Driscoll today. Truely the worlds best runner. But as I warned in other posts about Ireland, the French and Argentine forwards will be too good for Ireland. Too true. Michala

Gordon D'Arcy has been the biggest disapointment in the World Cup. He was totally ouplayed by Felipe Contepomi today who with Hernández finished off the forwards work very very well.

It is quite staggering to read so much ignorance about Argentina on a rugby forum like this.

Ireland don't win in France. Thats cast in stone. Ireland play there every second year but struggle to ever win, or compete with France. In contrast Argentina lost against France by one point in november 2006 and won the previous match in France in November 2004. On that day they defeated France in Marseilles. No other team has eveer done this. Australia tired the following year and lost. Even the All Blacks haven't beaten France in Marseilles. Also, the week before Argentina defeated France in 2004 Australia had lost to France.

Argentina without most French based players (16 are in the World Cup squad of 30) defeated Ireland two games to nil. Argentina swapped players for the two games and still won both without most first choice players in every position. They had players such as Leonelli, Senillosa, Stortoni, Vergallo, Avramovic, Guiñazú, Henn, Bouza, Fessia, Cardinali, Cortese, Stuart, López Fleming, Juan Fernández Miranda, de Vedia and Gamborini playing these games. None of these players have been selected in the World Cup squad. Then there were other players who don't play in France, like Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe, who didn't play against Ireland either.

In the two games before that, Ireland beat Argentina both times by 1 point. In 2003 it was in the World Cup after the referee didn't penalize Ireland in the closing minutes. Argentina should have been awarded a penalty which would have been kicked into points. O'Driscoll wasn't breaking the defensive line at all. There was one try scored after Argentine messed up a lineout and the ball freakeshly set up for Keith Wood to send Alan Quinlen, a flanker, away for a try.

In the other match, in November 2004, Ireland won at the very end of the game after Ronan O'Gara dropped kicked a goal. O'Driscoll and co couldn't break the defence in that game (like in the RWC) and Ireland won at the games end after scoring a grand total of zero tries.

O'Driscoll is pure class but I've never understood the fuss about O'Gara.

And i'm getting called an idiot in this forum...

No offense, but if I'm an idiot, both of you have gone batsh!t fuxking LOCO. Consistently being the best in the world is all about conditioning and playing the best teams in the world week in week out. The 6N and 3N tournaments are benchmarks of such conditioning and progress.

Obviously, Argentina does not have this, so they will continually miss out on being the best for this reason. Argentinean domestic rugby is all amateur for now. Granted, most of Los Pumas play for Stade Francaise, this hardly means that, as a team, Argentina will be conditioned to become a greater tier 1 team than they are now. Right now, Argentina is Tier 1.5... they're not amazing, but they're not terrible... They're equal to most all Pacific nations now (save Tonga).

And yes, we're wrong to write off Argentina... that's why no one is writing off Argentina... They're conditioning and preparing their best rugby (as they would for a 6N or 3N match). Because they are not being underestimated (as they were in 99 and 03), THEY WILL LOSE. Doesn't mean that they won't put up a fight, but they will lose nonetheless.

In closing, being a top-level team means being admitted to a top-level tournament. Is Argentina one of the best in the world? Yes. Do the Argies deserve to be a part of the 3N? Yes.

But will the Argies leave their mark this world cup and make the quarters? NO.

Why? All the 6N and 3N teams will not underestimate them this time around. And those teams will get the better of them because they have conditioned themselves as a team against the BEST competition already.

Oh, and by the way, Ireland's backline will EAT Argentina up. I don't see Ireland losing to or winning by a small margin over Argentina this time around.
[/b]

i dont think argentina have a chance in hell of getting through the groups. ok they beat ireland recently but that was a 3rd string irish team and it was in argentina. i think o driscoll and darcy will run through their defence all day.
[/b]

Read that and laugh with me

:bana:

LOL, yeah. It is fun. But no need to rub their noses with it.
They had no idea of what they were talking about, leave it at that, please.

What I mean, is: "Let´s show some class, please".

LOL, yeah. It is fun. But no need to rub their noses with it.
They had no idea of what they were talking about, leave it at that, please.

What I mean, is: "Let´s show some class, please".
[/b]

Muchachos , estoy por aca hace bastante. No saben las pelotudeces que tuve que leer. Inlucuso, me bannearon 2 veces por contestar a algunos galeses e irlandeses bastante agresivos. Pero volvi.

Hola Paquirri, de todos modos este no creo que sea el momento. Hablamos desde la cancha, decimos con los resultados, callamos y ganamos...
But to be faire to all the other participants, we are all fans, many of us players or ex players (I wish that here in Brussels I could find a decent veterans team) and we say a lot of stupid things to support of teams and colours.
Nevertheles, I would like to congratulate the only one who saw the end of the pool from the begining: Melhor Tempo (who, I'guess, mus be a mix of Brazuca and Argento, I'm I right?)
This discussion should now be focused on Scotland-Pumas and what may happen.
First thing: Pumas do repest Scotland as they respect any other team. The match is yet to be played.

<div class='quotemain'>
I don't follow, what has not being in the 6N or 3N got to do with the Argies missing out on the quarter finals? Are you suggesting a lack of top level rugby as a team is holding them back?

Agreed they have a lot of talent. However being in the 3nations or 6nations doesn't guarantee a place in the quarter finals, being in a pool with only Scotland and Italy does though B)
[/b]

Aren´t you a bit confused? Not being part of top level tournaments doesn´t mean no being a top level team.

I don´t believe in stats,, but its a way to read the evoluition of the teams . An Pumas have show it pretty well
[/b]

And i'm getting called an idiot in this forum...

No offense, but if I'm an idiot, both of you have gone batsh!t fuxking LOCO. Consistently being the best in the world is all about conditioning and playing the best teams in the world week in week out. The 6N and 3N tournaments are benchmarks of such conditioning and progress.

Obviously, Argentina does not have this, so they will continually miss out on being the best for this reason. Argentinean domestic rugby is all amateur for now. Granted, most of Los Pumas play for Stade Francaise, this hardly means that, as a team, Argentina will be conditioned to become a greater tier 1 team than they are now. Right now, Argentina is Tier 1.5... they're not amazing, but they're not terrible... They're equal to most all Pacific nations now (save Tonga).

And yes, we're wrong to write off Argentina... that's why no one is writing off Argentina... They're conditioning and preparing their best rugby (as they would for a 6N or 3N match). Because they are not being underestimated (as they were in 99 and 03), THEY WILL LOSE. Doesn't mean that they won't put up a fight, but they will lose nonetheless.

In closing, being a top-level team means being admitted to a top-level tournament. Is Argentina one of the best in the world? Yes. Do the Argies deserve to be a part of the 3N? Yes.

But will the Argies leave their mark this world cup and make the quarters? NO.

Why? All the 6N and 3N teams will not underestimate them this time around. And those teams will get the better of them because they have conditioned themselves as a team against the BEST competition already.

Oh, and by the way, Ireland's backline will EAT Argentina up. I don't see Ireland losing to or winning by a small margin over Argentina this time around.
[/b][/quote]

Nice predictions!!! :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'> It is quite staggering to read so much ignorance about Argentina on a rugby forum like this.

Ireland don't win in France. Thats cast in stone. Ireland play there every second year but struggle to ever win, or compete with France. In contrast Argentina lost against France by one point in november 2006 and won the previous match in France in November 2004. On that day they defeated France in Marseilles. No other team has eveer done this. Australia tired the following year and lost. Even the All Blacks haven't beaten France in Marseilles. Also, the week before Argentina defeated France in 2004 Australia had lost to France.

Argentina without most French based players (16 are in the World Cup squad of 30) defeated Ireland two games to nil. Argentina swapped players for the two games and still won both without most first choice players in every position. They had players such as Leonelli, Senillosa, Stortoni, Vergallo, Avramovic, Guiñazú, Henn, Bouza, Fessia, Cardinali, Cortese, Stuart, López Fleming, Juan Fernández Miranda, de Vedia and Gamborini playing these games. None of these players have been selected in the World Cup squad. Then there were other players who don't play in France, like Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe, who didn't play against Ireland either.

In the two games before that, Ireland beat Argentina both times by 1 point. In 2003 it was in the World Cup after the referee didn't penalize Ireland in the closing minutes. Argentina should have been awarded a penalty which would have been kicked into points. O'Driscoll wasn't breaking the defensive line at all. There was one try scored after Argentine messed up a lineout and the ball freakeshly set up for Keith Wood to send Alan Quinlen, a flanker, away for a try.

In the other match, in November 2004, Ireland won at the very end of the game after Ronan O'Gara dropped kicked a goal. O'Driscoll and co couldn't break the defence in that game (like in the RWC) and Ireland won at the games end after scoring a grand total of zero tries. [/b]

Best wishes to Argentina - but they will be blown away by the Irish attack. I know that's not likely on past form, but I'm looking forward to Ireland taking 80% of the points from 40% of the possession. It will be a more intense version of the Ireland-Italy match from the 6N, and should be over by the end of the 3rd quarter. Arg should focus on the French match - except they'll have lost that one before they get to Ireland.

That's my prediction - laugh all you want.[/b][/quote]

May I now, then?? :lol2tn:

Melhor Time was 100% correct in saying Ireland won't make the playoffs and Argentina will[/b]
You should be minus rep'd for quoting yourself in the third person :)

Its weird. I actually like the Argentinian side, but I'm starting to hope you get thumped just to shut the lot of you up. If you aint whinging before the match, your gloating after it. Maybe you do fit in better with the SH sides after all?
Either way, the pool of death is done. Lets be moving on eh?