• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Port Elizabeth Sevens, 9-10 December 2011, Sevens World Series

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Or in Nelson Mandela Bay, should any ANC members be trolling the board.

The next stop on the World Series tour is the southern coastal city of Port Elizabeth/ Nelson Mandela Bay in South Africa. The venue of course will be the aesthetically pleasing Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, one of the spanking new venues for the 2010 association football world cup. The leg in South Africa was previously in George, a few hundred kilometres to the west, and there is a big difference between the stadium venues, with the new venue holding 4 times more spectators.

Outeniqua Park (Old Stadium)

outeniqua-park-george.jpg

Nelson Mandela Bay

14+1.jpg

There were initial concerns the event would be played in front of empty stands, but as of two weeks ago a little more than half of all tickets had been sold, so the turn-out shouldn't be as bad as those experienced at Murrayfield or the other huge stadiums that struggle to sell a third of all tickets and leave the event lacking in the aspect of atmosphere.

Anyways, the reigning champions of the last world series are also the defending champions of the South African leg, New Zealand. Having faltered last week, dropping down to the Plate semis where they were knocked out by Australia. All the more amazing was that they made the Cup final just the week before in Melbourne, losing out to Fiji in the final. In Dubai their problems started at the conversions of their tries scored, before losing to the home team this time round, the Blitzbokke, in their final pool match. On Day 2, they suffered a shock defeat to England, whom went on to win the leg in a complete reverse of fortunes as they were dire by their fairly lofty standards in Australia.

Meanwhile, the champions of Melbourne, Fiji, were looking the bee's knees in Dubai, sweeping away all before them, crushing Australia in the quarters. Of course, they met England in the Cup semis in Dubai, whom matched and bettered them in every facet of play, with their hero of the tournament Dan Norton putting in a last ditch tackle to stop the game going into extra-time. The loss was a major shock and reality check for Fiji, and they will be regrouping and hoping that key players who missed out in Dubai return to fitness.

The surprise team of the tournament (the good surprise) were the mercurial French, who reached the final of the Cup by knocking out South Africa and Argentina after finishing second in their pool behind England. It was the first Cup final appearance for the French since 2006, and their reward? (apart from a few points) They get to be top seeds in a group with a team they very much enjoy playing against.

The unwanted surprise of the tournament was the 'performance' of Samoa. They laboured to a 40 point or so win over the UAE, before succumbing to a draw at the last with Argentina. Their final pool game was a 31-14 loss to Fiji, and coupled with the Argentinians doing all within their power to attain as many points as possbile against the UAE, which they did 73-7, resulted in them finishing third in their group and going only into the Bowl competition, but it didn't end there. A storming display by Canada put them 4 tries ahead of Samoa and out of sight. Thus Samoa were relegated to the Shield competition, which they won but not at all convincingly. Even with players missing, it was a massive disappointment for Samoa, and they will be looking at restoring parity this week.

As for the hosts this week, well they badly missed Cecil Afrika and looked one dimensional without him. An encouraging win over New Zealand on the first day brought hope, which was dashed by the French in the Cup quarters in the next day. Trudging on they reached the Plate final against Australia, where they lost after controlling the game to a last minute, length of the field score by Lewis Holland echoed of their recent XV-a-side World Cup quarterfinal exit.

Cannae spell the Argentina players names and Wales are confusing. In short, Argentina reached the Cup semis, beating Wales in the quarters. Argies lost to France, whilst Wales lost to South Africa in the Plate semis. Pish teams anyways.

On to the pools:

Pool A

England
Argentina
United States of America
Samoa

Pool B

France
New Zealand
Scotland
Morroco

Pool C

South Africa
Australia
Canada
Kenya

Pool D

Fiji
Wales
Portugal
Zimbabwe

Pool A is undoubtedly the tastiest of the lot, featuring England, Argentina and Samoa. Yet we must not write off the USA, the conquerors of Samoa's conquerors, Canada.
Otherwise, assuming Samoa perform, a very evenly contested group that you best avoid with your betting monies, especially if you pay any attention to my rather tripe predictions. I'll just say I think England will top it, in the hope I am once again wrong and they dinnnae.

Pool B. New Zealand vs France, nuff said. Scotland will look to beat Morroco, but the latter two are set to be the whipping boys of the group.

Pool C: The Blitzbokke should top the group. Canada will look forward to all their encounters having pushed Wales close last week, and punishing Samoa. They will be looking to their Women's team for inspiration, after they won their Dubai tournament humping England in the final. Kenya are uber pish at this stage.

Pool D: Fiji should top the group, but Wales must be weary of fiesty Portugal, who showed some of their potential last week with some solid displays. However, should the Welshman keep the ball away from the contact area, which I feel is Portugal's strongest area, they should be fine. Zimbabwe are also uber pish at this stage, but will have some supporters, both legal and illegal, in the stands, and they may yet raise their game. Portugal and Fiji get the days proceedings underway.

Fixtures

1 11:37 FIJI - PORTUGAL Pool D
2 11:59 WALES - ZIMBABWE Pool D
3 12:21 ENGLAND - UNITED STATES Pool A
4 12:43 ARGENTINA - SAMOA Pool A
5 13:05 FRANCE - SCOTLAND Pool B
6 13:27 NEW ZEALAND - MOROCCO Pool B
7 13:49 SOUTH AFRICA - CANADA Pool C
8 14:11 AUSTRALIA - KENYA Pool C
9 14:43 FIJI - ZIMBABWE Pool D
10 15:05 WALES - PORTUGAL Pool D
11 15:27 ENGLAND - SAMOA Pool A
12 15:49 ARGENTINA - UNITED STATES Pool A
13 16:11 FRANCE - MOROCCO Pool B
14 16:33 NEW ZEALAND - SCOTLAND Pool B
15 16:55 SOUTH AFRICA - KENYA Pool C
16 17:17 AUSTRALIA - CANADA Pool C
17 17:49 PORTUGAL - ZIMBABWE Pool D
18 18:11 UNITED STATES - SAMOA Pool A
19 18:33 SCOTLAND - MOROCCO Pool B
20 18:55 CANADA - KENYA Pool C
21 19:32 FIJI - WALES Pool D
22 19:54 ENGLAND - ARGENTINA Pool A
23 20:16 FRANCE - NEW ZEALAND Pool B
24 20:38 SOUTH AFRICA - AUSTRALIA Pool C

All times presumed to be GMT +2

New Zealand have made one change to their team, with Kylem O'Donnell replacing James Marshall, who is now unavailable as he is part of the Hurricanes wider training squad. The New Zealand team will be pretty disappointed with their performance last last week, and really need a big tournament here to get back in contention. As was suggested before the art of the series the NZ team really lacks a bit of pace and 'x-factor'. They are largely relying on their more experienced players, as I don't feel their younger (and definitely more exciting) players (e.g Webber, Piutau, Robertson) have really stepped up yet.

Yep, Kylem is Declan's older brother. He's a halfback in the XV's game.

Declan is another player New Zealand have definitely been missing these season, is Kylem a 9 or 10?

Games starting just now, mon the Portugeusees. B)

Declan is another player New Zealand have definitely been missing these season, is Kylem a 9 or 10?

Games starting just now, mon the Portugeusees. B)

Hes a distributing 9. Extremely hard worker (As aerobically fit as they come and squats around the 200kg range) and great thinker of the game, but nowhere near as explosive and creative as Declan (which is what they sorely need).

I said it at the initial selection stage, less safe more flair.

Fingers crossed ill be back in time for Englands first match - stuck in Ecology lecture and it's painfully boring!
I'm loving the Sevens this year so far

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

I said it at the initial selection stage, less safe more flair.

Indeed, you were right and I sorely misjudged the outcome.

Who's watching the England came? As ever the saffa commentator with the Italian surname proves himself unfit for commentating.

England's James Rodwell scores the try, and he goes on for 30 seconds how Zac Test scored and how good the US are. :/ Then he blames wrong team sheets for his gaffe. You incompetent phony, how they ever let you commentate is beyond me.

Poo, I got my timezones mixed up, I'm not back for another 30 mins

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Oh, our line-out f***s us over.

No-one saw that coming :rolleyes:

I am sorry, but if any other core team had the same record as us in the line-outs, the coach would be sacked.

Really good win for Samoa over England, and the USA over Argentina.

Scotland's play today has been nothing short of disgusting.

Why the hell are players like Andrew Skeen selected!?! WTF does he do!?! I'd give a jobbie to anyone who can identify what good he does for the Scotland, that's how confident I am of his pointlessness, he has zero pace (am pretty sure a speedometer would register a negative velocity), can't the ball up, can't clear out rucks, has a pass worse than a dog with three legs strapped together, doesn't set up plays, can't tackle, etc...

Fuming, absolute dire performances where our several of our 'strongest' players had to tackle a single opposing player over metres to stop him, the weakest were bounced when all the opposition did was lean forward, line-outs are non-existent, kick offs not contested, receiving kick-offs lost 80% of the time (the norm is 20%), 2-3 of our players in a ruck to 1 of the opposition, when breaks are made it is only because one player takes the ball up all by himself knowing there is no support and the are still 3-4 players in front of him.

Absolutely ridiculous, I am at the stage where I hope we don't make a single pass, miss every tackle and concede 100 points against Morroco so those in charge can finally bloody learn to make the right selections. Why drop Ross Millar? He was our best performer last week bar Turnbull, in favour of Skeen?!? GTFO

Last edited:
James Rodwell's twin brother playing #2 for Canada

LOL!!! Yeah Connor Braid he has also had a couple of caps with the 15's last November as an emergency fill in, stil has lots of potential. Good recovery by Canada against Kenya, so far though Kenya has looked real bad this season may be tough to justify their core team spot with these showings.

Love Fiji's new jersey

but they don't look as sharp as the past two tournaments, its unusual for them to be conceding tries on day one, we don't have any speedsters either, but the coach was looking more for playmakers. Fiji are playing England in the quarter final, nervous about this one, Fiji are gonna have to step it up if they want to win

Last edited:
England haven't been playing particularly well though - will be interesting to see how it goes, both have the potential to win the whole thing, but neither impressing so far

I was impressed with Canada yesterday: They may not have gotten the results vs the likes of Aus, but they played good rugby and were always threatening

Latest posts